OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 660

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 660
    Posted: June/03/2008 at 18:45
 Just pulled my old 660 out of retirement ... anyone else have one ?  See remington has a new version of them out as I was looking for a manual . Mine's the 308 version ... Looks brand new ... going to start using her again . Need to get a scope base/mount and see SWFA sells them . Surprised me ... thought I'd never find anything for it . Man I bought that back in the 60's . Cool little carbine size .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 05:31
Here is an article from FS on the 660: http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/shooting/rifles/article/0,13199,454909,00.html
I have the 673 guide rifle that replaced it in a 6.5 Remington magnum and its a beautiful rifle.  I have only fired it several times to sight it in.  Hope this helps some.  I will search for some more articles, because I think another magazine did a more extensive article on the 660. 
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 07:51
 Thanks .... will add that to my info . Yea they are a very beautiful rifle way ahead of their day for a factory custom . Oh I downed a couple of deer with her before she got packed away . Almost all of mine now are parkerized and it stands out next to the others . The .308 is such a flat trajectory bullet and has plenty of knockdown for whitetails . I even used her for ground hogs on occasion . It's going to be fun and bring back memories using it again .
               SWFAM
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 12:38
A 600 Mohawk in .243 was my first deer rifle.  I just bought a 673 in 6.5 Rem mag but have yet to mount a scope on it and shoot it.  I love all the 600 class rifles.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 18:09
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

A 600 Mohawk in .243 was my first deer rifle.  I just bought a 673 in 6.5 Rem mag but have yet to mount a scope on it and shoot it.  I love all the 600 class rifles.

Me too, except mine was in .222.  My dad cut the buttstock back to fit my 7 year old frame.  Not exactly a good deer cartridge, but the rifle shot well.  Later, we acquired another 600 Mohawk in .308 in a garage sale.  It too shoots very well.  Despite the plastic triggerguard, strange dogleg bolt handle and wierd, very awkward bolt removal method, all of those rifles I've shot were pretty accurate!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 18:38
i also have a 673 in a 6.5 and i have shot it a bunch at paper and killed a deer with it last year its a nice rifle and i love the 6.5rem as a round
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 08:32
 Took her out and fired a 1/2 a box of .308 ammo through her ...dead on ... sweet .... now I have to decide on a new scope . Yea that darn plastic trigger guard always worried me .... but what ... over 30 years and I have'nt broke it yet . Saw they're $80.00 roughly for a replacement metal one ... I think I'll just be careful with it . The bolt does'nt bother me ... kinda cool really .... mine has the knurled area that seems to help pushing and sliding with the palm of my hand .... especially with leather shooting gloves and she lies nice and close when closed . 
               SWFAM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 11:04
 Finally my new mount arrived ... went with weaver steel . Now for the scope and rings .... not used to that pretty stock anymore ... but I'm not gonna screw it up ... will make a new ghille cover for her so she does'nt shine like a mirror when the sun hits it .  Step 2 done ...
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic