OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

One heck of a predicament...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younghunter86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One heck of a predicament...
    Posted: June/03/2008 at 14:11

I don't post often. I am too busy reading ready everyone else's. Big%20SmileSorry but this one might be long.

Anyway here is the deal I bought a Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch UCC with BDC from SWFA about a year ago for a .223. Never fell in love with the BDC, it just seems like the reticle is too thick.

Since then I've picked up one of the new 2.5x10x42 Monarchs and have decided that it would be pefect for the .223, because it has a fairly fine niko-plex reticle. However it is on a Savage ML and so will need a new scope for it. Herein lies my predicament.

I don't know what to replace it with. I have a sightron S2 3-9, and Monarch 3-9 on other ML's and love them. Thinking of putting the 3-9 4200 in the mix as well (eye relief worries me) and possibly the Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9.

Any thoughts how the Big Sky would compare against the 4200?

The Big Sky will require more funds than I presently have. Anyone looking for a 5.5-16.5 Monarch?Embarrased

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 16:25
4200, won't be a problem eye relief wise. and at the price that you get here, well that's almost a no brainer. Best of luck friend.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 17:17
I think eaven the Sightron S1 is very nice for what it costs. I have three different scopes on muskets. A 3-9x40 Nikon Omega BDC reticle,  Leupold VX III 4.5-14 x 50 LR 30mm tube, A 4-16x40 Bushnell 4200.  Eaven though the eye relief on the 4-16x40 is on the short side the glass is awesome and its so nice to be able to see the holes in the target so I say the 4-16x40 Bushnell 4200 would be my choice.  I know 16 is a lot of power but it does let you evaluate game etc and you can still hunt it at 4x or so.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 20:18
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

4200, won't be a problem eye relief wise. and at the price that you get here, well that's almost a no brainer. Best of luck friend.

I'll second that .
younghunter86 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younghunter86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 20:33
Yeah, I'm thinking 4200 may be the ticket, but was hoping to get a little more input on the Big Sky. Maybe that means I should just forget about it and go with the 4200.
If I go with the 4200 3-9, I will be one heck of a SWFA bargain shopper. Sightron S2 3-9, Monarch 3-9 and Bushnell 4200 3-9!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic