OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikko Stirling on SWFA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikko Stirling on SWFA?
    Posted: June/03/2008 at 13:17
Let me pitch a softball to the SWFA folks.  I see a category for Nikko-Stirling under riflescopes, but no products.  When will you be showing some products.  Is anyone doing any testing?

P.S.-I am not a shill, just interested in the scopes.
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 13:49
Never mind, they are online now.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 18:44
If you purchase one, drop us and update on your thoughts, I don't believe the guys here have alot of experience with nikko.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 12:23
I have a bit of personal experience with Nikko Stirling's Platinum Nighteater line. My longtime gun dealer talked me into their 4-15x44 (over a Nikon Buckmaster) for my then new Tikka T3 Lite in 300wm. On the plus side it's held up well to roughly 60 recoil intensive rounds. But it's not my first choice for hunting glass and I'm in the process of replacing it with a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40. A night and day better scope. I prefer a fixed parallax on a hunter and the brightness and clarity improvement over the nighteater's cheap Chinese glass is huge. The N-S is happiest in bright daylight will be recycled into a spare for my rimfires.

Pluses:
  • Looks great
  • A step up from the cheapies
  • It's held up to 300wm
  • The side focus makes it a fair choice for casual rimfire target shooting
Minuses:
  • Not a low light scope
  • Milky at high magnifications
  • Poor eye relief at low magnification, unacceptable eye relief at high magnification
Because the optics are in my opinion inferior to some of Simmons' offerings in its price class I'll give it 2-Stars based on price/performance. With much better (ouch!) eye relief maybe 3 on a price/performance scale.
~~~~~

My Howa/Hogue 30-06 package came with a Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 3.5-10x40. In my opinion side focus/AO have no business on a 3-10x hunting scope. Brightness and clarity are on par with it's price point, but as is typical for the price the view gets a bit milky at higher magnification. It's been replaced on my 30-06 with one of SWFA's Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40. That's the best $200 I've spent in a while!

Pluses:
  • Low price
  • Side focus
  • Rakish good looks
Minuses:
  • Side focus (see text)
  • Good scope for bright daylight scope
  • Angled sunshade makes scope covers hard to find
Good for:
  • 50yd rimfire target shooting
Because it's dirt cheap and a step up from the Barskas and BSAs I've seen I'll give it 4-stars as a 50yd target scope - but only at its steeply discounted price point.

~~~~~

I've saved the worst for last. Before I learned better I bought a Nikko-Stirling Platinum Nighteater 6-24x56 for my Tikka T3 Super Varmint in 223. I used it for one day. The focus would shift and have to be readjusted after each shot. Mounted on a light recoiling .223 heavy varmint rifle! Worse at high noon the cheap Chinese optics were so dim and foggy and the flare so bad I couldn't make out the bulls eye at 200 yards! This has since been returned and replaced with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50.

Pluses:
  • None
Minuses:
  • Everything!
Overall I'd rate the 6-24x56 as a 0-star scope.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 12:24
Typo. It should have read 4-16x44. 
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 14:35
A few months ago the American Rifleman had a favorable write up on one of the Diamond series scopes.  Unfortunately, it is hard to separate wheat from chaff in these reports, as the magazines get a lot of revenue from advertisers.  How well does the Diamond series work?  I'd appreciate it if one of the SWFA staff could comment as they have themm in stock, according to the website.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 14:39
I have owned several Nikko Stirling scopes.  The Japanese made models are quite good.  Glass is very good, tracking good, and build quality good.  The target I posted with slightly less than a 0.5 moa group on a semi-custom 240 Wby. was with a Japanese Nikko.  The ones I have that were made in China are Chicom crap and should be used as clubs.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 14:44
Supposedly the Diamond and Target models use Japanese glass. I'm just feeling so burned by that 6-24x56 Platinum that when it came time to scope one of my prized target rifles I wasn't willing to take a chance with them no matter that they claim.

FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 16:20
I decided to buy two of the illuminated reticle Diamond 3-9x42's, at just under $125 each.  If they have good Japanese glass, this should work out well.  If not, they still should be OK as cheap scopes, with ilumination for lower light situations at the lower end of their magnification.  With shipping at $12, it seemd silly only to order one.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 06:12
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Supposedly the Diamond and Target models use Japanese glass. I'm just feeling so burned by that 6-24x56 Platinum that when it came time to scope one of my prized target rifles I wasn't willing to take a chance with them no matter that they claim.
 The Nikkos that I own were made before Legacy started importing them.  I think I own three.  Only one is made in Japan with Japanese glass.  The others are made in China with who knows what glass.  They are optically reasonable, but the poi changes significantly with changes in magnification, unlike the Japanese made model.  Truthfully, that is my major problem with the Chinese made models.  Irritating.  The Chinese made models are sitting in my closet as backups or for some one else who needs a scope on the fly or maybe to put on a rimfire to mess around with.
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 08:36
I couldn't find the illuminated Diamond series on Legacy Sports' site, but I did find it on Nikko-Stirling's site.  http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/Diamond/30mmseries.htm
According to that, the scopes are designed and made in Japan.  The Platinum series is apparently made in China.  Oddly enough the one inch and 30 mm non-illuminated models are apparently not made in Japan, as the site says they are "designed in Japan, but is silent on place of manufacture. 
If the scopes are not made in Japan, and are of lower quality than the Diamond Sportsman and the Diamond Illuminated series, there would appear to be some irony, as they are more expensive than the illuminated series. 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 08:45

My personal opinion, if they are not made in Japan, do not buy them.  China may have some nice facilities now, but I can never trust their QC, plus China is communist.

FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 11:16
I think the kind of scope I bought may be some kind of closeout, as I found a website where some of the other illuminated diamond series were listed as being on sale at a substantial reduction.  These sites were overseas, and I did agree to the terms of this site which are not to mention their competitors by name.  It appears that the diamond IR's are scopes that normally sell at higher prices, but I could not, in the first 8 or so google pages on "nikko stirling price," find a single vendor selling the 3-9x42 IR diamond series at any price.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 12:05

The Legacy Sports site states that all of the Diamond series scopes are made in Japan.  You are correct in that they do not list any IR scopes.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 12:15
Originally posted by FOG FOG wrote:

I decided to buy two of the illuminated reticle Diamond 3-9x42's, at just under $125 each.  If they have good Japanese glass, this should work out well.  If not, they still should be OK as cheap scopes, with ilumination for lower light situations at the lower end of their magnification.  With shipping at $12, it seemd silly only to order one.
 That is a great price.  But, about the same as SWFA.  It makes me wonder whether the Diamond series with IR are made in China since the price is so much lower than the non-IR models in the same mag range.  Let us know how they work out.

Edited by Dolphin - June/07/2008 at 12:19
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 23:13
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Originally posted by FOG FOG wrote:

That is a great price.  But, about the same as SWFA.  It makes me wonder whether the Diamond series with IR are made in China since the price is so much lower than the non-IR models in the same mag range.  Let us know how they work out.
I did buy them from SWFA.  Sorry for any confusion.  SWFA is the only site I found selling the Diamond series, other than the  Diamond Sportsman 10-50x60 model with the side wheel and really high power.  I think the IR series is a real bargain if it is what it purports to be.  http://www.swfa.com/c-2314-nikko-stirling-diamond-illuminated-riflescopes.aspx
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 13:22
I just got an e-mail from SWFA that the scopes I ordered are not in stock, and are backordered.  I guess the deal was too good to be true.  It is a shame, because I ordered fairly quickly after seeing the Nikko Stirlings listed on SWFA.  When I did my first post in this thread there was a Nikko Stirling icon under riflescopoes, but when I clicked it there were no products.  A very short time after the products were listed, I ordered, but just found out none are in stock.  I guess it will be a while before I can give you a user review.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 13:28
Thanks for bringing N-S to the front here, FOG. Thanks to Sholling for his review, also.
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 14:12
OK-Here is what went back and forth-

Subject: RE: SWFA Customer Service
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:30:51 -0500
To:
< ="Microsoft Safe" name=Generator> <> .ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} <> .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.EC_MsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1 {page:Section1;}

We added them to our data base but have yet to take delivery.

Sorry for the delay,

Dave

Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 12:50 PM
To: David Hallenbeck
Subject: RE: SWFA Customer Service

How can this be backordered if it just went onto your website?

Subject: SWFA Customer Service
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:44:54 -0500
To:

Re: Order Number:   

We regret to inform you that the following merchandise is currently back ordered:
 Item                                         Qty      Qty      Qty  Expected
 Number    Description                        Ord.     Shp.     Bck.    By  
---------- ------------------------------ -------- -------- -------- --------
NDSI3942   New Nikko Stirling 3-9x42 Diam     2.00     0.00     2.00
           ond Illuminated 30mm Rifles  
           Matte, Illuminated #4        

We maintain a multi-million dollar inventory and take great pride in our order fill rate. However, other factors beyond our control sometimes play a role in delivery. We are working diligently to ship your order at the earliest possible date.
Thank you for choosing SWFA.

Search that pays you back! Introducing Live Search cashback. Search Now!

/quote]
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 14:14
I guess that things are going to go well in the end.  Clearly SWFA is taking time to answer quickly.  Updates will follow as they occur.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic