OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

American made?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American made?
    Posted: June/03/2008 at 11:51
Just what does this imply nowadays?
Assembled here of imported parts.
Assembled elsewhere of domestic parts.
Fabricated and assembled here domestically.

It seems that the definition depends on the person you talk to. With everything being on a Global economy, where parts have several different origins, just what does it mean to buy American?
Every scope that is out there has some part that is sending money abroad, some more than others. yet a fair number of these scope companies employ Americans as well as helping out the country of origin. It's a catch 22 for those of us that would like to buy American first, when all else is equal, or atleast close.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 12:38
Most or part of anything it seems is made in japan these days
I'm classic shag nasty type.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 14:29
 One was left out ... fabricated and/or assembled here ... but company completely owned by Japan or China .... we have to really guess anymore .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 15:35
Wasn't that the reason behind Leupold dropping "Made in the USA" on their box? I seem to remember someone stating that they can no longer make that claim due to the various countries of origin that they source glass from.

Roy
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 16:15
Excellent point Merc.
Roy that was the exact example for which the whole idea for this thread came about. People use the excuse of buying American as a reason for spending the duckage for a Leupold, as if those of us buying Bushnell, etc are doing our Countrymen an injustice.
The simple fact is that these OTHER companies are also employing AMERICANS, not all of them, but several have warehouses here, as well as CS here. So you Leupold die hards, listen up, it's one thing to be brand loyal, just understand where those loyalties lie. Too many folks defend Leupold because it's American, well think just a little bit more about the subject. It's no different than voting, you gotta look deeper than what you believe, in order to see the truth.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 17:28
That doesnt change the fact that Leupold makes some very useful scopes and they are reliable, they often have more internal adjustment than the competition and almost certainly have more choices of reticle and useful features. You do pay something for the name but when I look at the scopes that the military and law enforcement use they are predominately leupold tacticals. Take anybody that has been hunting for 30 yrs and odds are he has at least one leupold and it is older than dirt and still works. Some of these other scopes that are very nice may simply not stand the test of time. Granted there are better optics out there at lower prices, but I still have more Leupolds than anything else so there are features that provide added value.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 17:36
Pretty much all you can do these days is just be happy with the fact that the places you shop are supporting our county by providing jobs.  Your money is putting food on the table for American families that are employed at these places. Nothing is 100 USA anymore.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 18:14
 The military and police agency buys the lowest bid on price for certain specs ... not because they're the best . Leupold lost military contracts before because they thought uncle sam would buy anyway ... they were sadly mistaken . I have an old tasco world class that's been beat to death and used hundreds of times and still works great . Did'nt cost half the price of the leupold in that day .    Light%20It%20Up
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 18:24
Ah, I hate to bring this up, but it hits close to home for me. The ML, GL and the R Class are all Mercedes Benz products that are (Hybrid) German Automobiles.  Most ALL of the major components are built solely in Germany, But the cockpit and most of the interior are built here or Canada.  The stamping of the steel is here but the steel is from Germany and of course it 's painted and built here.  I'd still be working in a steel mill if it wasn't.  Jason hit it right on the head, even my F-150 probably is not 100% made in the U.S. of A.  Although I think Toyota and Nissan have not had an Original thought in 30 years they do employ a ton of U.S. workers.  So, if you pull into my driveway in one I may not back over it.  Chevy's park on the street.  Unless it my Father in Law, but obviously he gets a little slack.  EVERY other Chevy driver parks there at his own peril.   Tank
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic