OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barnes vs anything

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 12:31
Brandon, You care to elaborate on the work you did to CB's Remmy, you put the Hart, Match Grade Barrel on it. I can say with almost complete certainty IT AINT THE BARREL. Like I said the Noslers are ragging a single hole.

Now I will say that it could be a bad batch of TSX's, that's just as, or even more likely the possibility, as the barrel, or bore. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 18:48
Hey guys, keep in mind that unless the recipient of the rifle has an FFL, it's illegal to box up a rifle and send it through any carrier to another individual.  Just wanted to get that bit of housekeeping out of the way.

CB, some rifles just don't shoot well with some bullets.  For example, one of my varmint rifles which is EXTREMELY accurate (Cooper M21 in .223) doesn't shoot 50 grain SBK bullets worth a crap, yet one of my shooting buddies has the exact same, identical rifle in the same caliber, and his loves them.  Keep in mind that these two rifles are identical and both VERY accurate with loads they like.  I can take his ammo, with which his rifle shoots groups you can cover with a dime, and my rifle won't keep them within an inch.  SBK's have an excellent reputation for being superbly accurate.  What's really odd is the fact that with the same powder charge and COAL, my rifle shoots similar 1 ragged hole groups with the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, which seems to be dimensionally identical to the 50 gr. SBK.

I can't account for why you had such poor accuracy results with the TSX, given the excellent accuracy I've had with this bullet in my rifles.  Some things just defy logic, and you have to go with what works.  There's a lot of voodoo involved with rifle accuracy.  Let your rifle tell you what it likes and go with that, while still choosing a bullet design that's well-suited for the size game you're hunting.  There are several other very good controlled expansion bullets available.

Since you say the AB shoots well for you, if you want a premium, controlled expansion bullet that's tougher than the AB, you might give either the new Win XP3, Nosler E-Tip, or the new Tipped Trophy Bonded bullets a try.  They all feature a similar streamlined high-BC, long ogive, tipped boattail profile of the AB with similar bearing length.  The E-Tip is essentially just like the TTSX without the o.d. grooves. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
meat head View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 23:07
wow you guy's shore sound lack you no a bunch bout bullets i always use the remminton 150 gran core locks in the green and yellow box in my 3006 an i never had a problem killing deers do you guy's thank i should switch to one of these bullets lack the barns i dont relode but i mite try if it wood be better an i wood get more accracy what do you guy's thank an how much dose a reloding set cost?

thank's!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 06:51
You're not reloading MH? You can spend as much or almost as little as you want look around for deals brother. There are several here that will be happy to help you through the learning curve. 

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 07:06
MH, first, the ol' green box factory Core-Lokts are just fine on deer.  If you were going after heavier stuff, I would prefer something with stouter construction.  There are several excellent bullets available for the tougher critters, if you hunt anything larger than deer.

If you're interested in handloading, I would probably start out with one of the name brand kits that include most of what you need, then build from there.  Many here can help you in selecting the rest of your components as you get started.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 07:31

MH,

The core-lokts are fine. My uncle shoot an elk last year with a 150 gr out of a 30-06 at 150 yards and it took 2 steps and fell over lifeless.

As for me getting the tsx's to work. I can say I have tried them in 2 different gun and 3 different weights. And still not to my standards now I could see if one of the rifles didn't like them but both. I just don't understand it.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 16:30
Originally posted by mr dawes mr dawes wrote:

Guess I'd gives barnes a call. very nice folks there that might be able to help to solve your issues with TSXs.

Ask for Ty.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 21:14
mr.dawes, i see you have used the tsx's with 6.5mm cals care to share some info with me??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 22:06
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

As for me getting the tsx's to work. I can say I have tried them in 2 different gun and 3 different weights. And still not to my standards now I could see if one of the rifles didn't like them but both. I just don't understand it.

BD, the nice thing about beating your head against a wall is that it feels so good when you stop.  If you've exhausted everything with regards to your load data and the TSX's still don't shoot well in your gun, yet other good bullets do... use what works.  Even if further experimentation might eventually yield a magical recipe that shoots well for you, at some point, you have to decide if the time and money expended in continuing is worth it.  You aren't exactly handicapped with other excellent designs mentioned if they shoot well in your rifle and are a sensible match for the size and toughness of the animal you're hunting.
Ted

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 23:49
RD +1

if they shoot like a drunk man walkin'.  Give them things a folder in the round file and move on, lifes to short to shoot like crap.

One word Bro.   "Hornady"  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 03:07
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

You're not reloading MH? You can spend as much or almost as little as you want look around for deals brother. There are several here that will be happy to help you through the learning curve. 

I hope I am included in this. If I can make mother nature stop flooding me silly and get to work, I would like to start loading my own too. Kind of hard to buy loading stuff when you get 21"of rain a week and can't work.Head%20Banger  If I ever do get it set up, the learning curve will be steep, I'm sure.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 06:30
Trigger, you know we'll help anyone. WE WILL certainly help out those that are friends. I hope the dry out starts soon brother.

Cyborg
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 07:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

BD, the nice thing about beating your head against a wall is that it feels so good when you stop.  If you've exhausted everything with regards to your load data and the TSX's still don't shoot well in your gun, yet other good bullets do... use what works.  Even if further experimentation might eventually yield a magical recipe that shoots well for you, at some point, you have to decide if the time and money expended in continuing is worth it.  You aren't exactly handicapped with other excellent designs mentioned if they shoot well in your rifle and are a sensible match for the size and toughness of the animal you're hunting.

Ted,

I agree. I feel I have tried everything under the sun to get these to shoot. I even talked and had help from someone that has loaded for over 35 years as a way of life. he nor I could get them to shoot. I also had the same problem with Game kings so I gave up on them also, But like I said before I have loads the will do berries with Nosler AB's BT’s hornaday SST's and now Berger VLD's. I have 3 loads with 165,168, 180 and 200/210 that work great with all these brands. I honestly think I have a good bullet/set up for most of the hunting/shooting I do. I might try the barns again later but I have already spent too much on something that I know will not work for me. The ting that gets me is that it is just a bullet but it just doesn’t impress me at all and with hearing about them pin holing 80% of the time. I’m kind of glad they didn't work.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 07:49
i cannot believe your rifle wont shoot sierra bullets, i havent met a rifle yet that wouldnt shoot sierra bullets im at a loss with you bro this one is strange for sure
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 07:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i cannot believe your rifle wont shoot sierra bullets, i havent met a rifle yet that wouldnt shoot sierra bullets im at a loss with you bro this one is strange for sure

Yup. we have talked about it many times. but I did find a sling shot or a flip as most know it as will sling them pretty good. I'm not knocking them or TSX but if the shoe dosen't fit I ain't going to wear it.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 07:59
i dont blame you at all
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 08:03
Like I said in an earlier post, pyro, my Cooper 21 doesn't shoot Sierra Blitzkings very well, compared to what it does with other varmint bullets, and that rifle is spooky accurate.  My Sako Varmint .204 Ruger, however, absolutely LOVES 39 gr SBK's.  That just reinforces the point that even when considering bullets with the best accuracy reputations, there's no such thing as a magic pill that works great in all rifles.  While it's true that some bullets on average are more inherently accurate than others (given the right twist rate), the universal magic bullet doesn't exist.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 08:13
will it shoot the other sierra bullets??? my .280 doesnt shoot gamekings as well as it shoots pro hunters and the only real difference is of course the lack or addition of a boattail design. if i hear somebody saying they are having accuracy issues i wont hesitate to tell them to try sierra's before they ditch there rifle.

have you tried the game kings or the varminters???

Edited by pyro6999 - June/06/2008 at 08:21
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 08:22
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

will it shoot the other sierra bullets??? my .280 doesnt shoot gamekings as well as it shoots pro hunters and the only real difference is of course the lack or addition of a boattail design. if i hear somebody saying they are having accuracy issues i wont hesitate to tell them to try sierra's before they ditch there rifle.

I don't know because this particular rifle is used for shooting prairie dogs and other small vermin, and as such, I want a highly frangible bullet.  In this case, the 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint shot so well, plus the fact they are offered in the 250 ct. Varmint Packs at reasonable prices online (a very important consideration when loading 1000 rounds at a time), I stopped my bullet search after that.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 08:24
i tried them in my 22-250 and the sierras shot better, but thats just me
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic