OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BRIGHTNESS OF A SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRIGHTNESS OF A SCOPE
    Posted: June/02/2008 at 22:44
THIS IS  A DUMB   QUESTION I  KNOW,BUT I AM GOING TO ASK IT ANYWAY.WHEN YOU BUY A NEW SCOPE ,DOES THE BRIGHTNESS ,CLARITY OF THE SCOPE GO AWAY  OVER THE YEARS/IF SO WHAT CAN BE DONE  ABOUT IT/
countryboy appreciates
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 22:53
Only if you damage the outer surface of the ocular and objective lenses or lens coatings, if the scope leaks, letting in condensation, or the scope receives abuse in some way to cause misalignment of lens elements.  Otherwise, no.

Edited by RifleDude - June/02/2008 at 22:57
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 23:17

Rifledude nailed it....proper care of the scope is paramount--no  shirt sleeves used to push dirt out ,, stay clear of windex on the lenses ... etc.. use a lens pen / brush to gently remove debris, then a cleaner  from the likes of nikon , Zeiss, etc made for lens coatings and a clean lens cloth ..

Edited by martin3175 - June/03/2008 at 08:09
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 08:19
 Yea .... NEVER USE any cleaner with ammonia !!!! Best thing I've found are Flents wipe'n'clear pads . Safe for all lenses and coatings .... including cameras .... and are anti-fog also . You can carry a few in your pocket . I use them for my binos , glasses, scopes, GPS screen and goggles .... even on my lil windshield when it's on in the winter on my ATV to keep it from fogging up and snow from sticking to it  .  
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 11:52
.............you mean, I can't clean my scopes with Windex and a old towel???   Bucky     How 'bout if I use the elbow of my flannel shirt??  Shocked

"Pretty smart, you damn gringos....pretty smart..."  Bandito
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 14:05
 You'd be surprised Ed what I've seen people using .... spit and napkins for god's sakes ... one time ! I gave the guy a weird look I guess .... he said " It Works " Oh well ....  

Edited by mercenary1947 - June/03/2008 at 14:09
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 14:33
How many times have you read about a person using or wanting to use frickin Rain-X on optics?

Roy
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 16:33
I once saw someone use a toothbrush to make sure that the objective lens is REALLY clean.

ILya
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 16:41
imagine what toothpaste to a lens would do .......followed by Ed's shirt sleeve and some Windex..... 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 18:50
Good question, there must be a shelf life as to how long the optics coatings are good for, nothing lasts forever.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 19:19
 I'm not so sure that the various coatings used on the internal lens elements in many scopes won't degrade to some degree over a long period of time.
 I can imagine that even the elemental lead in the glass would eventually oxidize, at least that near or at the surface of each lens.
 Since Ted (Rifledude) seems to disagree, I am probably wrong, though!

On the subject of cleaning lenses,  U.S. Optics says to use ACETONE !  That seems like an awfully harsh chemical  to be using on coated lenses, but I have to take their word for it as being harmless.  I have no doubts that it will get them clean...
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 19:21
Smoking%20Bandit    " some cholo is saying bad things about mi serape!  I theenk i weel kick heem in the backsides!!"                             Butt%20Kick
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 19:22
Originally posted by countryboy countryboy wrote:

THIS IS  A DUMB   QUESTION I  KNOW,BUT I AM GOING TO ASK IT ANYWAY.WHEN YOU BUY A NEW SCOPE ,DOES THE BRIGHTNESS ,CLARITY OF THE SCOPE GO AWAY  OVER THE YEARS/IF SO WHAT CAN BE DONE  ABOUT IT/

Well to answer the question more directly, get a set of Butler Creek scope caps and only use cleaners that are safe for use on multi-coated optics.

Roy

RifleDude is probably just saying that beyond the exterior of the ocular and objective lenses there is nothing you can do.

Edited by Roy Finn - June/03/2008 at 19:28
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 22:53
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

OUCH!Brick%20Hit
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 21:08
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

OUCH!Brick%20Hit

What?

(That was actually a thinly-veiled compliment!)    Wink
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 22:04
thats why they make new ones, to replace the old ones
image degradation starts the second the coatings are applied, (UV light etc.)
use the same rules that applies to camera lenses
acetone is water with the two hydrogens replaced by two methyl groups making it less polar and less "ionic" far less punishing than water-- ever tried to dissolve salt with acetone. ???
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 22:49
Acetone is a very strong solvent for carbon-based contaminants (i.e. organic materials) like plastic.  However, lens coatings are typically inorganic salts and oxides like magnesium fluoride, titanium dioxide, etc.  Glass itself is really just silicon oxide, so it is impervious to acetone as well.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 22:50

What?

(That was actually a thinly-veiled compliment!)    Wink

Embarrased
Thanks Ron!
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 07:18
What is the chemical contained in the lens pens that are sold?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 08:40

good question-- guessing here- ethylene glycol or some other low molecular wt. dissolved in isopropyl alcohol.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic