OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

9mm carbine suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9mm carbine suggestions
    Posted: June/02/2008 at 19:10

Esteemed gentry of the forum:

Help me find a 9mm carbine.  The deal is that my dad (retired cop) never met a free box of bullets that he didn't like.  So, at the law enforcement academy, everytime they would rotate their stock, he'd bring home a crapload of 9mm.  Problem is, nobody in my family has a 9mm, and I can't think of a better way to get rid of the stuff other than to shoot it.Big%20Smile  Anyhow, what would I want out of this carbine?  Well, endless plinking, occassionally rid the back porch of trash raiding raccoons, and it would be a plus if it actually looked cool!  I read some reviews of the Hi-Point and they weren't bad, but the ones I looked at in the store screamed "cheap" to me and also, didn't meet the "cool" I was hoping for.  I really like the AR versions, but I tend to balk at spending $1100 on something that isn't really a necessity.  I saw ruger's new rifle, and I'm on the fence about it.  Yes, I know that a 458 socom or .50 beowulf would be more fun/useful but I don't have 10,000 rounds of 458/50.  Ok, hopefully that'll be enough to get the discussion started...
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 21:07
The discontinued Marlin Camp Carbine had a following and some nice used ones are available.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101269433
There is also the Beretta Storm
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101389084
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 09:29
Beretta Storm? Does Kahr have any tommyguns in 9mm?Indiana%20JonesSoldier Where's da godfather smiley when you need it?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 09:52
Ruger has a 9mm carbine called the PC9.  I don't think they make them anymore, but you can still find them once and a while.  My buddy has one and just loves it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 12:43
I didn't see any tommy guns in 9mm.  I think they're re-releasing the PC9, or I think that I saw it on their website.  I wish I had an AR lower.  Not that I know that much about how they go together, but it can't be too much different than my other AR. 
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mlminor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlminor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 19:33
I'm in the same boat. I have loads of 9mm and need a fun carbine. I am leaning toward an Olympic Arms 9mm (Glock) so I am able to get good, cheap magazines even though I'm not really a Glock fan (I like DA/SA or SA only). On the "con" side - It's expensive (around $850.00?) and hard to find, none of my normal distributors can find them.

I recently bought a Marlin 1894c because of my load of .357 mag & .38+P+. As ammo prices continue to increase, I think buying a weapon for the ammo makes since!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic