OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advice needed
    Posted: June/02/2008 at 10:56
I just got a .204 that I need to put a scope on. Right now I just plan on shooting at the range. In the past we've only shot at 100yds but I would like to try and see how well I can do at 300yds with this .204. What would be the minimum power I should look at for 300yds?

I don't want to spend to much on the scope right now. I figured that if I really enjoyed shooting this gun I could upgrade to a better scope later.

Here's what I've been considering.
Mueller 4.5-14 APV
Mueller 8.5-25 Tactical
Mueller 4-16 Sport Dot
Mueller 8.5-25 Eradicator
Bushnell Trophy 6-18

The APV would be my first choice. A lot of people on the forum have really praised this scope but I'm not sure if 14X is enough. I'm not sure how the illuminated dot on the Eradicator and Sport Dot would be for target shooting. Any recommendations on my choices or any other scope in that price range?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:49
I cannot help with Mueller, don't know it. However, if the price range is the driver, since I do know Swift, I would suggest looking at those. If you can go a bit higher the Bushnell Elites and/or Nikon Monarchs are better. I have used all of those and like them a lot. 14x is more than required for 300yd. A good 2-8, 3-9, 2.5-10 should serve quite nicely. Don't give up glass quality for magnification, especially at your quoted ranges, it is a bad trade in my book.
Others should have more input on those questions.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 21:29
 Had a mueller ... bought a Nikon when i sold the mueller at the range ... the Nikon was BUCU  better in all respects .... check out the on sale Nikons here ... where I got mine . A lil more money but a world of difference .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 07:01
Originally posted by CP CP wrote:

I don't want to spend to much on the scope right now. I figured that if I really enjoyed shooting this gun I could upgrade to a better scope later.

Welcome to Optics Talk.

What's your budget look like??
You may be surprised how much scope you can get these days without selling a kidney. Wink 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 07:41

How small of objects are you shooting at? I feel this should be what drives the need for magnification. I can take an NC Star 10-40x56 and shoot at 300 yards, and not shoot as well as I can with a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest. I don't own a Mueller, but I think you would be served better by a lower powered scope with better glass than higher magnification and poor glass. At 300 yards though I'm shooting a pop can not a 1" bullseye, so it kind of depends what your target is. A Bushnell 4200 elite is a very nice scope for the money coming in at $249 for a 3-9x40 and $430 for a 4-16. I know this is more than you were looking to spend, but you would be far better off with the better glass I think. Welcome to the OT. I'm sure many others will chime in who have opinions other than my own, and you can make up your mind from all the knowledge senior members here have.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 13:12
I'm passingly familiar with Mueller but not with .204 ballistics. The only Mueller that I've used is the 8-25x50 Eradicator. I have one on my 10/22 factory race rifle. The the clarity is pretty good for a $230 scope. Muellers are assembled in China with Japanese glass and the quality of the glass is apparent. Unfortunately for my needs the Eradicator is a varmint scope with at least a 3/8 MOA varmint dot, and not a target scope with a 1/8 MOA dot. The dot pretty much covers the entire bulls eye on a 50yd rimfire target. If you can live with that and very critical eye placement at high magnification it'll make you a good entry level scope.

My understanding is that 8.5-25x44 tactical has even more critical eye placement due to the smaller objective. If you can live with that then it wouldn't be a bad choice.

I hear good things about the APV on rimfires. It's supposed to be rated for small - light recoiling centerfires but I'm not sure how long it will hold up on one. For $130 you could give it a go. I'm fond of the Simmons 6.5-20x50 w/AO Whitetail Classic. The one I was using developed parallax errors and Simmons replaced it but I haven't had time to try the replacement. For $100 on close-out it might be a good choice. These things are very bright and clear through the whole range and were always intended as centerfire varmint scopes, yet the cross hairs are fine enough for target work. Minus the parallax issue I had I liked it a lot better than the Eradicator. I just can't say if the parallax issue is common or not.

Basically with all of these you are making compromises for cost. As long as you aren't expecting Bushnell Elite, Burris Signature, or Nikon Monarch optical quality and durability you probably won't be disappointed. They're all a huge step up from BSA, Barska, NcStar, or Tasco.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

The Simmons on one of my 22s.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 14:57
I don't know... several of the forum members have "taken me to the woodshed" pretty harshly for trying out cheaper optics that have a likelihood of failing versus saving up and buying a better scope to begin with. Basically, I agree with them. I have wasted some money on some cheaper scopes, however, I have also been lucky with a couple. Depends on how good you think your roll of the dice is going to be. I am not much in the mindset of looking at low cost on a whim anymore. I pretty much have to have a high probability of above average performance before spending any more money. Toys are fun, especially if they are low cost, but sometimes you have to just get the "real thing".

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 15:38
Very nice 10/22 Steve.
Kickboxer, I don't know about taking you to the wood shed but it sure is great that you have done some of these comparisons for us.
I can say that with most of the budget optics I have used you are better off with a lower magnification range. They tend to get fuzzy at higher magnifications.
Some members have posted some good reviews on Mueller.  http://opticstalk.com/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20080614153756&KW=mueller

Edited by tahqua - June/14/2008 at 19:26
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 16:45
tahqua,

Thank you for the kind words. In general I agree with you about buying quality. My 300wm Tikka T3 Lite now sports a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select, and my Howa M1500 30-06 has a new 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos, and My Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .223 sports a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50. I've learned my lesson. Still at at the 50yd line at 20x that Simmons WTC is clear enough to read a fly's name tag. If it the parallax errors are gone and it looks that way I'll put the replacement back into service. I'm just not sure which rifle it's going on.

This is the same 10/22 with the far (in my opinion) inferior 4-16x44 Platinum Nighteater.

Here's the Mueller Eradicator on a Ruger factory race rifle. If the dot wasn't so @#$% big it would be the perfect scope for this rifle. Chuck Hawk rates it the equal of Nikon's Buckmaster, but because of the dot size it will probably be replaced by a Weaver V or T.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 17:53
Those are some really nice looking target shooters. That Eradicator is really sharp on the Ruger. Pretty.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 18:23
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Those are some really nice looking target shooters.

I agree!! Thunbs%20Up
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by CP CP wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk.

What's your budget look like??
You may be surprised how much scope you can get these days without selling a kidney. Wink 

Does Chris take kidneys or other organs in on trades ?    Well not one of my organs I won't trade ...
               SWFAM
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 09:30
the bushnell is a pretty good unit for the money-- in days when the cost of shooting has gone up more and more don't forget the cost of your time has gone up the same amount.
none of the scopes will shoot to the potential of the .204 3.5x10 ao with target turrets.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 09:33
back to the 204 however, which one??

Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 21:46
The way I look at it, buy whichever one you feel fits your budget and strength of interest the best. Many more experienced individuals will indicate to buy the Sworafskee and Zice's right off the bat to save yourself the hassle of starting with a cheap scope and then realizing you should have bought the higher quality. Well, that may be one way of looking at it, and it may be a good way of saving some money in the long run, BUT, you don't see many 18 year olds going out to get that Porsche 911 to get a jump on the mid life crisis. THere are many good scopes for 2-300 bucks, Bushnelle, Nikon, Burris, etc.
some days we just get stuck and bogged down, Some days all u can do is smile and wait for someone to kindly remove your butt from the hole you find it wedged into.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 09:30
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the bushnell is a pretty good unit for the money-- in days when the cost of shooting has gone up more and more don't forget the cost of your time has gone up the same amount.
none of the scopes will shoot to the potential of the .204 3.5x10 ao with target turrets.

Is that silver metalflake on that stock and a red barrel   ???????????????  Eek
               SWFAM
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 09:38
volquartson thf targeet barrel, and "sand" grit imbedded in the water soluable laquer finish added to increase grip.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 09:41
THere are many good scopes for 2-300 bucks, Bushnelle, Nikon, Burris, etc.
INdeed--  it just amazes me at what one can get in this price range as compared to 10 to 15 years ago.
it is unfortunate that most posters don't say -- I just want something to play with on sat. afternoon, --- or I want an all out scope on my 204 to outshoot the guy next to me using a Sinclair 6mmbr.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic