OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bino’s or spotting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bino’s or spotting scope
    Posted: December/11/2004 at 16:26

Forgive my uneducated mind but why or would you have both bino's and a spotting scope.  Why not one or the other and if one which one would be better for hunting?.  Kind of like having a rangefinder/bino combined.  If you had that would you even need regular binos or a spotting scope.  All very confusing.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 21:07

Spotting scopes are special purpose, they have very small fields of view and are used after you got the general location (say a mountain side) lay of the land with GOOD binocs. If you do not trust your distance judgement get the range finder stuff also.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2004 at 18:01
  What Dale said. Bino's should be used to locate your game and if it's a trophy your after the spotting scope will come into play. A rangefinder is always a good choice for distance shooting. Good luck
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 19:25
If you are a serious trophy hunter or birder you will need both.  If you don't need to evaluate the trophy quality of the game you pursue nor need to identify a particular species of bird by subtle markings and colorings, then you can get by with just a good binocular. I have come to the conclusion (after testing many, many people who claimed to be good at judging distance) that NO ONE  is good enough to accurately judge distance beyond 50 or so yards.  My laser rangefinder has humbled and made liars out of many a cocky sucker who thought otherwise. If you shoot at distances that never exceed 200 yards, you may not need a rangefinder as most rifles will shoot flat enough to make precise knowledge of the exact distance unnecessary,  If you shoot beyond this limit, you need a rangefinder.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 19:40
I have kind of ruled out the range finder at this point because of cash money but would think that someone would come up with a good spotter/range finder combo or bino/range finder combo.  Come on- Luke Skywalker has one!  My binos are fixed 7x35mm and they are good although there are a lot of times when  I see deer at 500 yds and I wish I had a closer look at it, or in thick brush at 200 yds.  After 1st buck of the season I am strictly trophy hunting though.   So maybe I should look into a spotter more closely.   My 2 kills have been 107/132 this season but usually up into the 2-350 range. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 20:01

Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Newcon and Leica make bino/rangefinder combos.

Ilya

obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 22:58

How would you rank the combo's overall and by price and are the bino's poorer quality since it is a combo?

samhill79 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2004 at 19:34
This is my advise....get better Binos like Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss. Wiht more object and higher power.   Spend the money on them and then buy a pair of Steiner 20x80 or 25x80 and use them as your spotter.  THey will be cheaper and are good.  The major advantage is that they are comfortable to look through and you can easily find you target over and over again.  They are eay to pack and if you dont have time for the tripod you can take a quick peak through them by leaning heavily on something.  Not to mention the feild of view is usually bigger.  I havent used my Swaro spotter for quite a while since I discovered this.  MY swaro is clearer however. 
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 18:04

If you can swing it, get a Leica Geovid 10x42.  It is the world's finest binocular and the worlds finest laser rangefinder all built into one package.  You will use it 100x more than your rifle scope or a spotting scope.

Leica Geovid 10x42.....$1644.99

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2004 at 22:20
Just like Chris stated, it does not get any better than this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic