OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1 big purchase-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 big purchase-
    Posted: December/11/2004 at 15:51

I have some christmas money with to splurge and am trying to decide what I would benefit most from.  Am looking at buying an Elite 4200 but am thinking a spotting scope or rangefinder might be more beneficial.  Have never used either.  Am using a Leupold right now that it is a decent scope. Whatcha' think?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 16:06

i personaally dont like spotting scopes, and i dont use my leica 1200 RF that much, but if you do get a rangefinder, the 1200 is the one to get, unless you look at that sweet new swaro one... and the 4200 is one awesome scope... which leupold are you using, if it satisfies you, i dont see a reason replacing it, and a RF can come in handy, but you wont be constantly using it... have you thought about bino's?? the swaro SLC's are VERY nice, im going to have me a pair by next season, and im going to ditch my bruntons.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 16:39

I am using a leupold m8-6x.  I was looking to get something that was better around dawn and dusk.  I have a missed a couple of oppourtunities this year and was disappointed because I could see horns through my bino's but the scope wasn't as well lit and would only show a body.  i am currently using my wife's bushnell 7x35 WA(that's all it says on them) bino's, and they are the best pair we have in the house.    The image seems to 'steady' well in them, and they are pretty clear. Would like to see things a little closer though also.  It is possible that I am waiting too late, but I don't know. I have about 350 to spend right now.   What do you think?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 17:42

well, that eliminates the bino's, becuase they're quite a bit more than that... how about the scope then if your not satisfied with the leupy... im not sure waht the LT is on the M8, but i dont think it would be that much worse than the 4200, because it has one less lense to go through, but you would get to have one aweosme, and reliable scope.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
arro222 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arro222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2004 at 21:45
obi- it depends on how you hunt as to which equipment is more applicable. Get a new scope because yours is broken, or you need better low-light performance or you need more power. I hunt in close thick woods. A spotting scope would be of no use to me and I don't do long range paper punching. If you hunt the plains in this great nation of ours, a spotting scope is a big help as is binos. The ones you have should suffice unless yoiu need more power. For me , yours are perfect power. Get what you need most for most of your type hunting. You may not be able to purchase a Leica bino with your dough, but there are some very good ones out there for the money you have.

Edited by arro222
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 17:59
Keep the Leupold and get a good binocular.  It opens up a whole new world of hunting.  After a season of using them you will be wondering how you ever made it with out them and you will feel sick at your stomach if you ever forget to take them on a hunt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic