OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Monarch, Elite 4200 and Conquest. AR hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Monarch, Elite 4200 and Conquest. AR hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 18:06
Good choice on the 4200. My brother has the 3-9 on a RRA predator rifle and he now uses this instead of his Tikka with a Conquest. He ordered the Bushy after visiting here and thinks it is equal optically to his Conquest 3-9. I agree.
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 00:22
yeh they are a good choice, I luv the 4200 glass, I will get a 6500 by the end of the year, they are the  luxurious 4200 
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 09:26
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Nothing in the price range of a 4200 can compare .... What are they going for like $249.00 ... alot for a little . I'm just afraid they'll start cutting corners now though ... seems they all do .

maybe so maybe not but swfa did us a favor by cutting the price.
                   Agree totally Pyro .... and the price cut on my Nikon SWFA did put me in a far better field of scopes . Hey ... I don't even look elsewhere for scopes . Why should anyone
... best merchandise ... about every make and model and a 110% price guarantee !!! Extremely great customer service from people who care about taking care of their customers ..... and this forum that has a wealth of knowledge for the world to view !    
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 16:22
my 6.8 has an ACOG, TA33 amber, since this pic was taken I swapped out the stock mount for an ADM QR type... I like it enough I got one for my 5.56

I get a 1" group at 100 yards and 2" at 200 with the 3x ACOG, good enough as most shots will be 75 or so considering it's intended use

I took the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 off my 204 Ruger and put it in a Larue QR mount and it will get swapped between both ARs as needed

Edited by ccoker - July/05/2008 at 16:22
ms6852 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms6852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 17:18
I own both the elite 4200 and nikon monarch in 3x9.  I find the bushnell to have better optics than the nikon in that viewing the bushnell it yields a brighter picture.  I also own the Sightron II Big Sky and have compared it to the Conquest and find no discernible difference in optics but would guess that the Sightron might be a little brigher and about $100 cheaper than the Zeiss.   With finger adjustable knobs and re-adjustable to zero, unlimited no fault lifetime warranty, this scope is unbeatable at this price.  You will not be disappointed with the bushnell,sightron, or the conquest.  The Nikon monarch is a little to dark for my liking, unless you purchase the bigger objectives.
Always run from a fight...but if they catch you deliver them to hell personally.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 20:21
Keep us posted as to how you like the combo.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 00:53
Originally posted by ms6852 ms6852 wrote:

....The Nikon monarch is a little to dark for my liking, unless you purchase the bigger objectives.

You must be a different breed to me mate as I need to use shaded sunglasses  with my 4-16x42 monarch when it's really sunny,
It's just to bright for me sometimes Whacko
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 15:30
Whatever happened to hunter12345?  I think that he got vaporized on May 31, for failing to back up with evidence his stance on Sightron vs Nikon, or is he tucked away somewhere?Hiding 

Mojo
MOJO
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 15:33
A few comments on the scopes mentioned in this thread.

First of all, I saw a lot of very dissimilar configurations compared.

Aside from that, Elite 4200 is just a tad behind Conquest optically, but not by much at all.  Depending on sample variation they may even be equal.

Sightron S2 Big Sky is optically very similar to Elite 4200 and Conquest, but has longer eye relief than the 4200 (and a little more flexible eye relief than Conquest).  In terms of coatings, the Big Sky Sightrons have the ZACT-7 coatings throughout.

Regular Sightron S2 is not quite as good optically as the Big Sky, but is still no slouch.  The design is a bit older and eye relief changes with magnification, by about half an inch.  S2 has four fewer lenses than the Big Sky, but inner coatings are not quite as good.  Regular S2 has 4-layer coatings on the inner surfaces and ZACT-7 coatings on the outside surfaces.

As for the Monarch, I think that the regular S2 is quite comparable to the old Monarch.  New Monarch I am less familiar with.

ILya
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 15:40
Thank you, oh Dark Lord of Optics to put everything into proper perspective for all of usBow

Mojo
MOJO
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 23:56
Koshkin,

Thanks for you comments and I respect your opinions. But if Sightron S2 Big Sky, Elite 4200 and Conquest are all is optically very similar then why is the Sightron rated lower on the SWFA rating scale? And how do they compare tracking wise?

Thanks,

Sparky

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 02:37
Depending on which version of the scale you are looking at, it will be in different places.  In the original scale, Chris did not break out different Sightron product lines into separate entries, so S2 Big Sky got lumped in together with S1 and S2.

ILya
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 11:55
Koshkin,

Thanks for the explination.

I am not sure if I am asking this correctly, but what about tracking on these three scopes? By that I mean if I adjust either windage or elevation a number of clicks from my zero will moving it back the same number return me to my zero? I had a leuplod VXlll that did not return to my zero. It was close but not correct. Which is more than a little frustrating.

Thanks,

Sparky
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 13:13
All of theses scopes track fine.  Sightron has made a lot of its original reputation on having a large adjustment range with repeatable clicks.

ILya
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 13:16
Thank you.

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 19:08
All are great choices,, But I'd give the nod to the 4200 with the Rainguard  and the great price one can be had for ..
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 08:32
If you compare a $200.00 Nikon Primos Monarch or a Sightron SII ,Yes the Sightron SII is a better scope reason is better warranty, made in Japan, quality lens and materaials.You need to relax SIR... hows the hillbilly heroin !!!Excellent
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 08:49
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

Since your going to hunt with it buy the Elite 4200.Great optics rain gaurd perfect set up on your AR.I have both the Conquest & 4200 and yes the Zeiss is amazingly clear but save some money here.For 199.00 the Sightron SII should be on your list and pick that over these other brands, it is made in Japan, yes it is better than the Nikon.Fro 
......................Hunter 54321 BLAST OFF!..............I had a 3x9 Elite 4200 which I traded for a 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch EER UCC, to change from a conventional mount to a scout mount on my rifle. I will tell you that I cannot see a difference between my 14 month old 4200 and my new Monarch! An S2 Sightron better than the Monarch??? Better than the 4200 too???? If you`re saying that the Sightron S2 is better than the Monarch, then you are also saying that the S2 is better than the 4200???......Sorry sir! I respectfully disagree with you`re eye ball assessment!!..........Shocked........Eek
 I'm comparing a Nikon Primos Monarch & a Sightron SII, yes the Sightron is better with warranty and made in Japan with better quality.Quick to write a stupid remark ...so enjoy living in a trailer park enviornment with all the benefits.Excellent 
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 15:57
_popupControl();
Maine? Where's that?
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 17:50
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

If you compare a $200.00 Nikon Primos Monarch or a Sightron SII ,Yes the Sightron SII is a better scope reason is better warranty, made in Japan, quality lens and materaials.You need to relax SIR... hows the hillbilly heroin !!!Excellent

I have owned many Sightron SII rifle scopes and have found them to have just wonderful adjustments and the best warranty in the business bar none.  I recently sent a 6-20x50 SII back to Sightron because the side parallax adjustment seemed to be faulty and low and behold they send me a brand new Big Sky version of the same scope.  Now that is outstanding!!!!

However it is not my opinion that the SII and the Nikon Monarch UCC glass are equal in quality.  Not to my eyes.   I recently looked through both a 2.5-8x42 SII and 3-9x40 Monarch UCC in bright daylight and it may have seemed that the Sightron had better color resolution during the day but only slightly.  But when it came to dim lighting the Sightron fell off hard while the Nikon was still able to pick up objects in the dark pines of my back yard way past official sundown.  Not sure if a Monarch UCC has the exact same glass as the Team Primos but the general consensus is that it is essentially the same scope.

I must say that the Big Sky is AWESOME!
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic