OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Monarch, Elite 4200 and Conquest. AR hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Monarch, Elite 4200 and Conquest. AR hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Monarch, Elite 4200 and Conquest. AR hunting
    Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:51
_popupControl();
 I'm putting together an AR in 6.8mm SPC. It will be used at times for deer hunting and other things.Whacko  Mostly under 200 yrds. The higher X would be nice for detailed viewing, but not necessary. 
 My choices are the Elite 4200 3-9X40, Monarch 2.5-10X42 ($332) and the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5X38. ($399)
 I've been spoiled by my Zeiss VM/V so I don't want to be disappointed by my choice.
 After researching I've only come to the conclusion that the 3 scopes are in the same basic level of performance. Elite is a great value/bright. Conquest has great resolution and contrast and the (New) Monarch is...well I haven't really read anything about the new Monarch except that it might fall in between the other 2. The new eyepiece looks really big. Shocked
 Another thing, I haven't been able to find a review on the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 only the higher X models.
  Please help. Bucky

Thanks

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 12:03

4200 2.5-10 (or)  3x9 4200 ( still available, I believe,,,,great value) ...Rainguard really works, durable , and optically the equal of your choices ....

Like to see the AR when you're done and  your take on how it performs on game >>>

Edited by martin3175 - May/31/2008 at 12:03
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 13:34
Since your going to hunt with it buy the Elite 4200.Great optics rain gaurd perfect set up on your AR.I have both the Conquest & 4200 and yes the Zeiss is amazingly clear but save some money here.For 199.00 the Sightron SII should be on your list and pick that over these other brands, it is made in Japan, yes it is better than the Nikon.Fro 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 14:13
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

For 199.00 the Sightron SII should be on your list and pick that over these other brands, it is made in Japan, yes it is better than the Nikon.Fro 

"Better" how, Sir?   

Welcome to The OT, Scottyman.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

For 199.00 the Sightron SII should be on your list and pick that over these other brands, it is made in Japan, yes it is better than the Nikon.Fro 

"Better" how, Sir?   

Welcome to The OT, Scottyman.

i'll second that question mark, in my eyes its a dead heat between the 4200 and the conquest and the nikon monarch is right there close also, the sII is a nice scope also, i dont know if its better than any of the others mentioned above though
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:11
_popupControl();   I'm leaning towards the 4200. I couldn't find a $199 Sightron that might compare. The "Big Sky" SII's might and they have the 7 layer coatings, but nothing indicating anywhere that the regular SII's do.
  Maybe after I have a big cup of coffee will I place the 4200 order. We'll see..'til more replies come in.  ;)  Thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:17
i have one and i think its great, like i said its a close call compared to the zeiss conquest and even the nikon monarch ucc that i have, rain guard is a nice feature as well, for $249 from swfa the 4200 is a steal, i would pay $300-400 for that scope if i had to.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 16:58
 He's not going to get a descent nikon for $200.00 anyway .  Sightron SII is better than a Nikon ?????   What's he been smoking ?     Light%20It%20Up    =====>  Whacko

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/31/2008 at 17:01
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 17:18
What reticle are you contemplating?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 17:18

Since your going to hunt with it buy the Elite 4200.Great optics rain gaurd perfect set up on your AR.I have both the Conquest & 4200 and yes the Zeiss is amazingly clear but save some money here.For 199.00 the Sightron SII should be on your list and pick that over these other brands, it is made in Japan, yes it is better than the Nikon.Fro 
......................Hunter 54321 BLAST OFF!..............I had a 3x9 Elite 4200 which I traded for a 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch EER UCC, to change from a conventional mount to a scout mount on my rifle. I will tell you that I cannot see a difference between my 14 month old 4200 and my new Monarch! An S2 Sightron better than the Monarch??? Better than the 4200 too???? If you`re saying that the Sightron S2 is better than the Monarch, then you are also saying that the S2 is better than the 4200???......Sorry sir! I respectfully disagree with you`re eye ball assessment!!..........Shocked........Eek
mlminor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlminor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 17:58
I have the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 on my Marlin 1895 XLR .45-70 and I am very happy with it. It has taken the 325 grain Hornady blasts in stride and after some beating/banging in the woods, it's still perfect and has never lost zero. The warranty and customer service (if it's ever needed) is the best in the business to boot. I like the nice field of view on low power, great woods scope for my sub 250 yard .45-70.

What power is your Zeiss Victory? I just ordered a new Victory VM/V for evaluation in 2.5-10 x 50 because I wanted one top of the line, all around great scope (I hope this fits the bill). It will be used on my two primary pieces (.223 & .308), and I'm trying to decide on a magnum caliber (.338 Win?) for longer range big game (primarily elk) as well.

I've always heard that the Zeiss Victory series is one of the absolute best pieces of glass to get, and I've been so happy with my two Conquests (I also have a 6.5-20x50) that I decided to take the plunge for a mid power Victory to "balance" out my scopes.     
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 18:44
_popupControl();
 I'm not sure which reticle. Probably the standard multi-plex.

I have the 2.5-10X50mm Zeiss Diavari V (2004) atop a 300WM. I spent a few months researching before deciding on it. I actually had people lend me their IOR and Swarovski's to compare against the Zeiss. The Zeiss edged out the Swarovski PH by a hair.  The IOR was a distant 3rd. The Diavari V is a fantastic scope. Unfortunately, my Zeiss doesn't have the LotuTec water and oil repellant coatings that became standard in 2007.  
 You will love the VM/V if you're very discerning and particular.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 19:33
 Nothing in the price range of a 4200 can compare .... What are they going for like $249.00 ... alot for a little . I'm just afraid they'll start cutting corners now though ... seems they all do .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Nothing in the price range of a 4200 can compare .... What are they going for like $249.00 ... alot for a little . I'm just afraid they'll start cutting corners now though ... seems they all do .

maybe so maybe not but swfa did us a favor by cutting the price.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mlminor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlminor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 20:43
Wow, you have the same scope that I ordered (2.5-10x50), what's the chance of that? I ran across a deal on mine, but in this price range, "deal" is a relative term! The one I ordered has a fine cross hair - which I'm sure is why I received a price break. It seems that's a very unpopular reticle these days, but I think with the 1st reticle plane reticle and the 50mm objective, it should be easy to see in a top of the line scope like the Zeiss Victory. Oh, and I would not sweat the lack of LoutuTec, from what I hear it's a bit over rated.

I'm sure the Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 will not compare to your Victory, in fact, I think it actually weighs more (18oz). I've heard a lot of good things about the 4200/6500 series as well - for the money, they have to be the best buys of the group. Let us know what you decide and the results.   
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 16:44
_popupControl();   Just ordered the 4200 3-9X40.
  I know it's not in the Diavari's league, but I'll compare the 2 in varying light conditions.

Martin3175, It'll be a month or 2 before I get my 6.8mm together. I just ordered the lower (TI/w/RR 2 stage trigger) and already have the Magpul CTR stock waiting for it. Kotonics upper next month if the $$ is there.

Cheaptrick, thank you for the welcome.

miiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 22:59
Hey im also comparing the conquest and the 4200.  Im looking at the conquest 3-9x40 with rapid-z600 and then the 4200 6-24x40 multi-x.  What do u guys think?  Ill be shooting in the area of 400-600 yrds.  Im thinking by having alot more magnification (which i think i will need at those distances) and less price, would just be worth going with the 4200.  Only thing is that they only give 1 year warranty..is that correct?  What u guys think?
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 17:57

I have my 4200, but waiting for the scope rings to arrive.

I posted a pic of my 6.8mm here for those that wanted to see my setup.
Maine? Where's that?
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 18:01
_popupControl();
Maine? Where's that?
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 18:04
_popupControl();

I put this together thanks in part to the govt rebate check. Thank you Feinstein, Kennedy, Schumer ect! :)

Cardinal Armory upper w/ RRA Half Quad forearm and Vortex flash hider
Tactical Innovations lower/RRA 2 Stage NM trigger/Magpul CTR stock and Ergo grip.
Young NM bc and LMT enhanced bolt will be here shortly
Scope rings are arriving soon to mount an Elite 4200. Using a green laser for now.

With a 5rd mag I plan on using this for deer season when the 300WM gets a day off just to have something different to carry.
 Sorry for all the posts, but there's no EDIT function.???
Maine? Where's that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic