OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold v bushnell v nikon v all others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always lost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold v bushnell v nikon v all others
    Posted: May/31/2008 at 10:58
 I am new here I see alot more info than i can process. I am not new to shooting, hunting. I am new to fun competitive shooting. I have had a Remington 700 .243 with a Redfield 3-9x 40 since 1985. I have been happy with the 1-2 inch groups, and mostly one shot one kill hunting. I joined a rifle/ pistol club a few years back, and i guess as follows became interested in the competitive fun shoots. I had been looking to get a new rifle for some time. I like my .243 and the redfield, but the old scope just was'nt up to the comp. So I used that as an excuse to buy a new rifle and scope. It was a Tikka T-3 .308 topped with a Leupold 6-18 VXII Varmint Duplex.  Now in the past in the kill zone at 200- 300 yd. was fine, you don't get a chance to group on a deer. But now I am looking at grouping at 220, 330 and 500 meters. I find it hard to see the holes at 220-500 meters with the Leupold. I have been looking at the Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50. I use both rifles for hunting and target, the lower mags would good for hunting and the higher would be better for spoting the holes that don't run. Looking for input.
always looking for direction
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:09
 NIKON !!!!    ..... Yep,%20Thought%20So   .... saw on 2-3 posts 6500's have blurry factor at high magnification and even 4200's did'nt have the same problem  .  Looking for comebacks ... but that's what I've been reading .  Light%20It%20Up
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
always lost View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always lost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:31
after reading alot of the postings on here, i figured this would spark alot of debate, with alot of good info, but not yet.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:33
AL,

For starters, you need a spotting scope, not a rifle scope.  Seeing .308 holes at 500yards will cost you, big-time.  300 yards, no problem with a good scope; at 500, especially in the Texas heat, mirage plays an unforgiving role.
By the way, I like the Tikka tactical, good choice, good gun.

If the Leupold meets your needs with respect to shooting (plenty of elevation, good reticule, good clarity, good resolution, consistent and accurate adjustments) keep the Leupy and consider a good spotting scope to finish out your gear.  I'm no Leupy fan, but anyone here who points you to a 30X scope ain't doing you a favor.  Your 18X is more than enough for 500 meters.

Now, ask about spotters.  Go ahead, ask; and let the fun begin!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 12:58
Fro I own a Docter 8-25-50 which is mounted on my Remington 700 LTR in 308 and have no problem seeing the bullet holes at 300 yards.This scope is clear and bright the only problem it is expensive.The Bushnel Elite 4200 is a good scope better than your VXII 6-18.Sightron Big Sky is very bright and has plenty of good review's but you sound like you need a spotting scope for your shooting needs.The Elite 6500 may be what your looking for.Big%20Smile
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always lost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 14:08
 Yes i need a spotting scope. i know there will be a mirage problem with any scope as mag goes up and the heat here in Texas goes up. it can be hard to see the holes even with a spotting scope on differring target colors and light. just looking for input on scopes. thanks to those who have posted answers so far. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:52
Leupold never has the best glass, the 6500 is pretty new and mostly unproven.  For the money, consider IOR.

But no scope of which I have knowledge will let you see .308 holes at 500 yards.  If the Leupy is servicable, spend the money on a spotter.  If you just want a new scope, the IOR will please.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always lost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 21:04
I saw the Ellis scopes I like the MK7 LR but just a little out of my price range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic