OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle scope failures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How many failures have you had? What scopes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.33%]
10 [20.83%]
3 [6.25%]
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
3 [6.25%]
8 [16.67%]
3 [6.25%]
3 [6.25%]
1 [2.08%]
4 [8.33%]
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [10.42%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle scope failures
    Posted: May/31/2008 at 08:10
I am curious as to how many of the OT member have had failures with their rifle scopes and how many.  I am curious as to the types of failures and the reasons the members believe their scopes failed them.  Was it due to manufacturing problems, abuse, cheap scope to begin with with an expected high rate of failure, high recoiling rifle, improper scope mounting, etc.  Was the problem minor and could be fixed by you, such as a loose magnification ring that needed to be glued back on or did it need to be sent back to the manufacturer?  How was you CS experience?  I would also like to get feedback from Chris as to percentage of returns for malfunctioning scopes by brand and model, not because the customer did not like them.  I would also like to get feedback from Koshkin as to the percentage of manufacturing defects from factories that produce scopes, not necessarily by brand, but by the factory as they may make scope for various companies, if this information is available and he has access to it, as he would be the one to know.  If your scope is not listed, please feel free to comment on your brand.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 08:15
how do you vote in multiple catagories?? take the poll that many times?? just wondering
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 08:35

I had problems with a USO SN-3, 2.5-10x IOR Tactical and a 3.5-10x Zeiss Conquest and a Barska.

With so many variables and situations, it's damn near impossible to glean any real world conclusions from these types of polls, but we'll see.   

I'll be back later.
Chopping firewood today......

Edited by cheaptrick - May/31/2008 at 08:46
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 08:51
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

how do you vote in multiple catagories?? take the poll that many times?? just wondering
 I set it up so you can vote multiple times.  Let me see if CT can fix it.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 09:05
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I had problems with a USO SN-3, 2.5-10x IOR Tactical and a 3.5-10x Zeiss Conquest and a Barska.

With so many variables and situations, it's damn near impossible to glean any real world conclusions from these types of polls, but we'll see.   

I'll be back later.
Chopping firewood today......

That is true, that is why I put the emphasis on curious.  Obviously if a company sells one million scopes they are going to have more failures than one that sell half as much with all other things being equal.  In manufacturing failures are a reality.  Look at Mercedes Benz.  According to Consumers Union, their repair rate is off of the chart while most Japanese makers are continuing to do well.  American makers have made strides in the short term, but their long term reliability still remains poor.  My only failure is with my Simmons that I purchased recently, that I attribute to trying to pack too many features into a low cost scope.  Its like trying to buy a Steiner watch, probably made in China with a bunch of features for 129 dollars and expect it to function like a Blancpain, Minerva or Union Glashutte costing much more money.  Its just not going to happen.  However, the better the quality control and the better made the product is for its intended use, the lower the failure rate should be.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 10:42
S&B 1
Leupold 8
Redfeld 2
USO 5
Weaver 2
Nikon 2
XOTIC 1

S&B CS fixed with a how' you do that? question.
Leupold CS Ok, long wait ime to get them to go to the post office.  2 weeks  once in house.
Redfield Old Redfield LE scopes, poor cs and hugely long turn around.
USO, fast promt repair and return so it could be broken the next outing.  No warranty replacement after admitting they could not solvethe issue.  That was the "old" USO.  Understand things have markedly improved.
Weaver, just send you a new unit.  About 4 week average.
Nikon, good cs and turn around, about 2 weeks iirc.
XOTIC, after 5 years of abuse it finally went.  Built a purge tank and fixed it myself ( elevator spring )  'cause I was curious if I really could.

mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 10:52
 Believe it or not I have an old world class tasco that won't die .... and she's oooooold . Retired it to my 22 ... thinking it would go .... was on a 30-06 and then a 308 forever . Go figger .....
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:38
Broke a wire reticule in an old Leupold mounted on a .338 Lapua many years ago.
Had a turret fail on a Mark IV Ultra back in the day too.

After those 2, no more Leupolds, no more failures (granted, I'm not shooting .338s any more and not shooting to prevent the enemy from shooting me.)

I did have a Nikon that didn't fit the rings (rings worked great on the scope that replaced the Nikon) and owned an IOR that might have had an issue - but sold it (with the buyer knowing the situation) before I knew if it would fail - this being the SH 3-18 and the reason I don't buy high-end, newly released IOR any more.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:56
I had a new Monarch 3x9 give up windage tracking after a half a dozen rounds from a 30-06...Absolutely rotten CS..took 5 calls and 6 emails to get a response . I sent the scope out, and they hit me with a $169 repair estimate .. 3 calls and another email, and "Ed" from NIkon called and apologized..Nikon would cover the repair on my 3 week old scope. I got it back 6 weeks later with 2 new 1/4' scratches ...That being said, I do have several other Monarchs that are solid ..
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 13:16
My Sightron SII got a little blurry on 9 power and mailed it back on Monday and on Thursday had a brand new scope.That is what a every company should do period.No questions asked.My Docter scope was broke never mounted took 4 months to have it repaired.The importer no longer offers warranty work on the scopes he sold.Leupold is OK with CS so if you own a Redfield they just bought the company and have them honor repairs.  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 13:33
from the law of large numbers you study will show that the largest sample will have the most and the least failures.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:12
The windage adjustmenf on my sightron pisol scope came off and my local dealer mounted a new one for me on the spot! No paperwork, no sending off; a new scope and back out the door. (I have been a good customer of his over the past few years,)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:15
im lucky i guess knock on wood ,never had an issue with any scope i have ever owned.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:33
I have never had a problem with any scopes, but I did buy one out of Gun List 10 years ago ( a Weaver K4) that had some condensation in it.  Like a dope, I didn't take it outdoors to play with it for a week, and never noticed it....so I never worried the seller about it.  He had inherited about 20 Weaver scopes when someone had died, and was selling them off....I'm figuring he hadn't spotted it, either.  You couldn't see it indoors looking at a white painted wall.........

oh well..............
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 15:37
Doggone it!! Now Weaver has got a GREEN MARK against it!!! I should have lied and said it was a Leupold!!!   Dang it!! Bucky    
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 20:18
You know, the CS department for he camera division at Nikon is excellent.  Although I have never had to send back a camera, ever time I call for some tech assistance for one my Nikons, they bend over backward to find the answer.  I wonder what would happen if I had to send one back.  I attribute my lack of failures to the number of rifles I have and the fact that I spread them around so much that none of them get a lot of shooting time.  The Howa 300 Win. mag. with the pre-Meade Simmons Aetec has gotten the most use and I have never had to sight it in over many years and has always held its poi perfectly.  Of course it is a simple 3x9 w/o an AO of course, unlike that piece of crap Simmons I bought recently with a side focus, fixed eye relief, rainguard, etc for less than 200 dollars that the sf did not work after mounting, but did before so.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 20:24
Had a Bushnell and a Simmons blow up on me.  One on my 270 and one on my 300 win mag.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 21:26
Never had an issue with any scope so far.(iv'e jinxed myself havent i?)
I'm classic shag nasty type.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 21:33

Had to vote twice for Leupold.  One fogged inside and one would not hold zero.

Experience with Tasco, Bushnell, Simmons, Burris, Kahles and Zeiss.  None failed but Leupolds.

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 00:15
I have had problems with 2 Bushnells they both just went all fuzzy not usable.  Repair ticket said it was parallax.  1 IOR got little lubricant spots on the glass but it was still usable , 1 Meopta got black spots on the glass and would not hold zero.  2 Old school 4x Weavers both got water inside and fogged up.  2 Tasco's, both had fell apart on the inside. 

Damn I have had some serious issues with scopes, typical for me though.  It seems like most of the stuff I buy ends up with a problem.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic