OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10X the best ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10X the best ?
    Posted: May/30/2008 at 21:41
Why do I keep reading that 10X  is often considered the best magnification?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 22:19
Popular mechanics has never been good at these sort of things.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 23:08
Originally posted by CatfishSteve CatfishSteve wrote:

.....................By whom???? Considered the best magnification for what? Larger game hunting? Nope! I don`t think so!...............Varmit hunting? Depends on the range!!.... Target shooting only? 10x is ok, but it is not the best choice for only longer range target shooting!!..........Do you read why they consider 10x to be the best magnification?     
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 23:29
Artifact of post modern technology that is still "accepted truth".  Also, even with really good glass, still considered to be the middle of the road for low susceptibility to mirage and still enough power to shoot "long range".  Yes, there are trades that can be made, but 10x is still the measurement standard for "best of both worlds".  It is much more a tactical, field thing than a day-to-day utility usage thing, but highly useful in some hunting areas.  "Standards" die hard.  In long range shooting, when the mirage goes high, best shooters start backing off toward 10x...in general.  Almost every axiom has a corollary, every rule an exception.  Perception and preference rule. 
I have to shoot in 3 rifles tomorrow so I can go slay all the hogs in Texas next weekend, well, at least most...must go to bed. 
Enjoyed all the banter, good evening. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
CatfishSteve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 01:14
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

.....................By whom???? Considered the best magnification for what? Larger game hunting? Nope! I don`t think so!...............Varmit hunting? Depends on the range!!.... Target shooting only? 10x is ok, but it is not the best choice for only longer range target shooting!!..........Do you read why they consider 10x to be the best magnification?     

to this I'll say 
considered to be the optimum setting for high magnification variable power scopes
large game, varmit, target or flys balls application isn't a factor
your avatar is hot if your a chick Love   Love  Love  Light%20It%20Up
if your a dude its disturbing LocoChair%20HitHammer%20HitChainsawWhistlingLight%20It%20Up
No alcohol was used in composing this post

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 01:48
Uh oh Squeezer.  I think we may have a new contender for the master of the smilies.  Bow  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 02:28
There is no such thing as the best magnification. 

Optimum magnification depends on the usage, lighting, objective lens size, etc.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 03:02
Sooo why does 10X always come up?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 06:25

Well, it's the most popular selling magnification in binoculars, not riflescopes.

Roy
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 07:07
I was thinking binoc's also....
but, with 4x magnification ranges today's standard ,, 2.5-10 power scopes are the new" 3-9 's ".. so top ends are 10x generally..
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 07:19
I really do not understand the question?  The best for what?  As Koshkin says, there are many variables and as Martin says, they are the new top end usually on the many of the newer scopes that are replacing the 3x9s.  But, as far as the best magnification, that is far from the truth as a blanket statement.  If you are in a deer stand and a deer is 20 yards from you, you are not going to want your 2.5x10 scope set on 10x.  Do you see my point.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 10:54

to this I'll say 
considered to be the optimum setting for high magnification variable power scopes
if your a dude its disturbing LocoChair%20HitHammer%20HitChainsawWhistlingLight%20It%20Up

....................Catfish!!!...............Can`t handle my avatar????? Getting a little hot there??? Sweating over your keyboard??? Disturbing you say???.................Just try and control yourself and maybe take a nice cooooool shower before logging on!!!! Do you have some muscle relaxers? Take those too, relax and take some deep breaths!! You`ll get use to it!! How about a little oxygen too?...NO2.............Maybe a cool bubble bath?....Bubble%20Bath ............................Knock yourself out and enjoy!....Hammer......................................Laugh
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:15
Laugh%20Above  .........  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing  ...........   that never helped me .... " cool shower "  Bubble%20Bath    getting naked made it worse ..... just shrank the tool ....Snake      but the dirty thoughts stayed in my mind .........Devil

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/31/2008 at 11:18
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:26
Catfish, I hear ya, bro; 10X is the best and these charlatans are simply leading you astray.

Ask yourself: if 10X isn't the best, why did the USMC use it on their sniper scopes for so many years?

Also, ask yourself why the most popular hunting magnification is 3-9x.

Well, hell, maybe it ain't the best after all; sorry, charlatans.

In truth, asking for ideal magnification is like asking for ideal fire arm, "what is the perfect gun?": the answer to that questions changes according to need.  If I am hunting elephant, my answer is very different than if I am carrying concealed or if I am shooting at an enemy aircraft 1,500 yards away and parked on a runway.

Circumstances will always dictate "best"; however, there are good all-around scopes - and 3-9X is a good place to start.  As you move away from conventional needs (bench rest long-range, tactical entry, Cape Buffalo at 30 yards) the paradigm changes and other things work far better.

But I do like a good 10X, there is much to say for a scope that always "looks" the same. 
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 11:55

I'll try to explain this question better.

I participated in some testing for nightvision attachments for two schmidt bender scopes a 5-25 and a something -12. they both worked best at around 10X by best I mean you were able to make out the smallest hash marks on a test pattern.
  What I was wondering is if there is some law of physics or glass quality limitations
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 12:06

to this I'll say 

....................Catfish!!!...............Can`t handle my avatar????? Getting a little hot there??? Sweating over your keyboard??? Disturbing you say???.................Just try and control yourself and maybe take a nice cooooool shower before logging on!!!! Do you have some muscle relaxers? Take those too, relax and take some deep breaths!! You`ll get use to it!! How about a little oxygen too?...NO2.............Maybe a cool bubble bath?....Bubble%20Bath ............................Knock yourself out and enjoy!....Hammer......................................Laugh

ohh my head Dead
I'm still not to sure about you squeeze I haven't met that many girls called Wilbur!

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 12:21
No, there is nothing magical about 10X.  Hell, 10 isn't even prime.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 13:13
the metric system likes  powers of ten ....
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 13:30
in a room full of 20 or more people the chances that at least 2 people having the same birthday is greater than 95%, even two or more "pairs" is somewhere around 75%. what does this have to do with 10x riflescopes??? in a world where they out number everything else 5 to 1 the chances they are mentioned more often are astronomical. doesn't mean squat.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 09:38
I thought I said that...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic