OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barska Hmmm..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barska Hmmm..
    Posted: May/30/2008 at 10:24
I'm thinking about buying a Barska swat 10-40x50 IR to put on a 300 win mag
Now I'm not expecting shinning reviews from you guys but the price is right. 
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with their products. How bad are they?
I've read the optics get fuzzy higher than 12x how fuzzy is fuzzy (after all at 40x who cares if the fleas on the deers back look a little fuzzy). They say 50cal proofed are they really tough?. Does anyone know where they are made? Are they russian?

Thanx for any info
Steve
CatfishSteve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 10:37
I know you guys are going to say they're crap but I would like to know what specifically are their problems
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 10:39
The higher the magnification the better the glass needs to be.  Even with high quality glass 40x is going to be very dark and only useful during bright days.  Your exit pupil at 40x will be .8mm  During the day your pupil in your eye will probably be about 4mm in size so you can see the band of light coming through that scope is going to be so small that not much of that image is going to get to your eye. 

On top of that Barska optics suck...  The adjustments are not reliable in my experience and you will most likely just be disapointed in it.  If it is going on a hunting rifle get something with lower powers and with good glass and you will be much happier.  Viewing something at 9x with quality glass will be much better than viewing a 20x or more with bad glass.

Check out the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40.  I know you probably want more magnification but unless you spend big money on good glass that higher mag range is going to be useless.

My Barska was a 4-16 and when I went above about 8x it started to get fuzzy and had a white tint to it.  If I was looking even in the general direction of the sun it went so white I could not see through it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 10:58
Paging Cheaptrick!

Search the threads for a Barska torture test ;)
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 11:34
Originally posted by CatfishSteve CatfishSteve wrote:

I know you guys are going to say they're crap but I would like to know what specifically are their problems
Barska Hornet, I think, 4-12, came with a rifle I purchased, but I put it on my 10/22.  Optics were OK, nothing more or less than I expected.  My memory is that at high power (above 6-8) it was not very clear.  Could never get it to hold zero for more than two shots, after that all over the place.  Re-zeroed several times.  Another scope does great.  Place I bought the rifle warranted for 90 days, but I did not even mount it for longer than that.  A day or two ago I phoned him (this forum reminds me to do things I have forgotten about) and he is going to let me trade it on something else "of equivalent value".  Barska has an independent warranty, but I figured the shipping costs would be more than the scope was worth, and the trouble.  Never called them to see how they would respond.  Only experience I have with Barska, and that one scope is garbage, my opinion.  Can't speak for others...
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 12:03
I`ll let everyone else give their thoughts on the Barf-ska scopes!!! I`ll keep my review very simple!..................................Squeezer`s review???........PukerPuker
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 12:14
all the inexpensive target turret scopes ive seen havent worked on rifles w appreciable recoil. the turrets turn under the force of the recoil. my tasco POS for example, would dail in 1/2 min up and 1/4 min right every time i fred my 300wsm. had me scratchin my head...

GL

lear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 12:39
Welcome to The OT, Steve.

What type of shooting are you planning on doing?
Do you have a budget in mind?

Barska's are bad mojo on this forum in general and the SWAT scope your considering is Chicom junk.
No offense to you intended, just trying to save you some heartache (and money).  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 12:54
Thanks Cheaptrick

I didn't think it was chink made, sounded rusky to me.
Besides moose, bear, and deer hunting. I have access to a 900 meter range and I'd like to do some paper punching at that distance thats why I'm looking at high X
my budjet is tight around 300

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:01
i would not trust barska to do anything -
not even use as a reliable club to beat something with.

for 300 bucks i would look into a nikon buckmaster, elite 3200 - OR buy the best for the buck w/ an elite 4200 - 3-9x40 - it's all you need. 

my 2 cents.

J
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:04

It's very rare, and expensive, to have a 'perfect' hunting AND target scope.

you'll be lacking in hunting optic needs if you go more towards target - and you'll be lacking in target optic needs if you go more towards hunting optics - so you probably need to decide what is more important.

if it were ME, i would rather shoot paper w/ a meat-scope, than vice-versa.

J
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:15
You could up your budget just a little and get one of these.  Bucky
http://valdada.com/product/bd3f97a0-1fb3-4f22-82b8-bf4456bccc1b.aspx
It is only a little bit more, Shocked But would meet your hi and low magnification and awesome glass needs.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:16
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

i would not trust barska to do anything -
not even use as a reliable club to beat something with.

for 300 bucks i would look into a nikon buckmaster, elite 3200 - OR buy the best for the buck w/ an elite 4200 - 3-9x40 - it's all you need. 

my 2 cents.

J
I would imagine it would be next to impossible to see a 1 inch bull at 900 meters with a 9x
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:19
Lots of shooters who shoot long range tactical with just 10x scopes.  I have an 3-18x IOR and I prefer to shoot at 10x for shooting that far. Better exit pupil, less mirage, and it is easier to hold steady. 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:32
yeah, mirage will eat your lunch - i stick to 10 power, even on my 20 power target scope.

nice, clear, steady - and as long as the conditions are right, 1000 yards isn't a problem for a skilled shooter at 10x. (not me, a SKILLED shooter)

3-9x40 should be plenty - elite 4200 glass makes up for lesser power.

resolution trumps magnification any day.  I learned this the hard and expensive way.

J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 14:09
Steve, you've been given good advise from the members. I'll throw my 2 pecos in as well.

I'd go with a 10x Super Sniper on your budget.
This scope will meet or exceed your present needs and if you ever want to sell it, you can get just about what you paid for it.

If you are still wanting a high magnification scope, your honestly need to raise your budget up quite a bit.  

Edited by cheaptrick - May/30/2008 at 14:13
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 14:16
I would go with the super sniper or this one for under 300
The super sniper has good glass and very easy to use adjustments
Duce Smile
Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 14:27
OK you guys talked me out of it.
Thanks for all the good info Excellent
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 14:36
Wow those are decent prices are these scopes used?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 14:50
Originally posted by CatfishSteve CatfishSteve wrote:

Wow those are decent prices are these scopes used?

Duce's link to the Millet and mine to the Super Sniper are for new scopes.
The Millet is a variable and the SS is a fixed 10x.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic