OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rimfire Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rimfire Scope
    Posted: May/29/2008 at 14:16
I am looking to scope out my new bolt action rimfire and have been looking at this one for a while

basically I have 3 other 3-9x40 VX-II's and this one would probably seem familar to me and comfortable.

Am I overlooking some other scopes out there for cheaper possibly?  It will have to be at least 6x and no bigger than a 40mm objective. Would probably need to be at least 100 less to get me off the Leupold.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 17:38

Well, you could get the Weaver 3X9X32  AO for $200!!!   Smile   And then you would also get FULLY MULTI COATED lenses, too.  Woo-hoo...........Bucky    .......and you'd have enough money left over to buy yourself another used 22 rifle!!!   

Bandito  

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 18:29
The VX-II has the Multi-Coat IV lens coating system. They are fully multi-coated as far as I know. They are supposed to be the equivalent of the old VariX-III which is definitely fully multi-coated.
The Weaver is also a good choice and is built just like their big game scopes. The Leo may be a bit brighter when cranked up in low light.
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 18:35
yeah I am a fan of the VX-II series so I thought this would be good for me but I know there is a whole rinfire subculture.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 08:48
I have gotten confused over the past couple of years over exactly WHAT Leupold has done to what scope....

Initially, back in 2003, Leupold decided to stop being recalcitrant and finally started multi-coating some of their scopes for the general public besides the flagship Vari-X III.  At first they simply coated the TWO exterior lenses (on ONE SIDE only...!) of the lower grade scope ( the Vari-X II, I guess...). and made a big fanfare out of that...( Tasco had been multi-coating for almost TWENTY YEARS, by this time!!...).  Then, after the shooting press explained what was going on, Leupold decided to go ahead and do a little MORE coating for those pain-in-the-ass customers who were demanding more "light gathering" from their optics ( and who were buying the hell out of Nikons, Conquests, and 4200s!!). So, Leupold had to create yet another line of scopes----scopes that actually HAD fully multi-coating ( the NEW Index Matched Lens coating) became the VX-III ,  scopes that did NOT have multi-coating ( the Vari-X II) was upgraded (REALLY, this time) to Multicoat 4 ( the VX-II), and scopes that were just going to get the lenses on each end of the scope a little swipe of coating--to go with the single coated lenses on the INSIDE of the scope-- ( the fixed powers...) became the VX-I and the FX-I scopes.  And, just to cover all the bases, Leupold continued to make the REGULAR Leupold scopes that they had been making for decades--the single coated scopes---became the Rifleman line!   Whacko   This is more complicated than a play written by David Mamet.

Anyway, they shoot good. They LOOK great!  But I don't want to spend $350 for a VX-II!! For an extra $50 you could get a VX-III ( with Index Matched Lenses!!) and for $15 extra bucks, Leupold will change the parallax for you for 22 ranges!! 

That's what I would do----------but I am a jerk from the 1960s......I still expect to get my money's worth Laugh   and to get 50,000 miles out of a set of tires!!!  I also don't think scopes should BREAK!!! 

Anyway,  I will go away now.................and look for Big Squeeze.............Baseball%20Bat
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 09:21
Ed I' m sure Big Squeeze would back me up here... you're being far too hard on yourself!

"but I am a jerk from the 1960s"

...why put a date on it??
God save the Empire!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 10:01
"That's NOT FUNNY, Senor!!!  Smoking%20Bandit  I theenks maybe I weel keel you with my rattlesnakes!! 'Why puts thee date on it'??  Are chu saying that I am a jerks all thee times!!?? Baseball%20Bat " Bandito

Indiana%20Jones           

( Thees man, he is a cholo from the Canada......I thinks maybe Global Warming may drown hees skinny leetle Yanqui cojones soon.............. Bandito)       
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 10:14
I'm sorry Ed, upon reflection I feel absolutely terrible for disparaging you that way.

I'm hoping that one of your multiple personalities will see fit to forgive me.

"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes"
God save the Empire!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 12:47
Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing                      

Indiana%20Jones"Oh...Nazis! ...I hate these guys!!"   HA!  
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I have gotten confused over the past couple of years over exactly WHAT Leupold has done to what scope....

That's what I would do----------but I am a jerk from the 1960s......I still expect to get my money's worth Laugh   and to get 50,000 miles out of a set of tires!!!  

I did not think about a VX-III because all the ones I have seen are much more than a $50 upgrade. This is locally though and I never looked online. (and I never noticed the 2.5-8x36 line) I will look into them now though because I really like the turrets of the VX-III line.

Secondly to address your general Leupold discussion. I am not really a scope enthusiast. I have the VariX-II, the first gen VX-II and the second gen VX-II.  I generally buy a scope for a gun and then unless I change the purpose of the gun it stays with it for  a long time.  I do not stay up at night worrying about the new technology and wanting to have it.  I think Leupold has its main consumer in my group of like-minded people.

The current years trend of more tactiKool scope features incorporated into hunting scopes puts me off. This includes the finish, as I cannot really stand the thicker looking rubber like finishes etc. 

Also how did you EVER get 50K miles out of bias ply tires?
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 12:12
Wink      umm.. Me, too.  Once a scope has found a home on one of my rifles, I usually leave it there.  

Oh, I get 50,000 miles on radials.  Back in the 60s, I didn't get but 40,000 miles on bias plies!!  I got less than that once on Mickey Thompson's on my truck many years ago----but they sure were GOOD while they lasted!!!  Only tires I ever saw that would stop on solid ice like a dry road!!  Baja Belted.   Bandito
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic