OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rebarreling Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 10:13
Check these out as well. Mike makes excellent barrels as well.

Roy
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 10:56
Well they charged my card for my barrel, so it should be on its way.  Hopefully I will have it done in the next month or so, can't wait to shoot it.

Now I just need to decide how to paint it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 21:25
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Well they charged my card for my barrel, so it should be on its way.  Hopefully I will have it done in the next month or so, can't wait to shoot it.

with paint i imagineClown

Edited by pyro6999 - August/08/2008 at 21:25
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 22:43

Thunbs%20Up  Thats what I'm talkin about!! On its way, gotta be a good feeling.
Christmas in Aug.Christmas%20List

I talked to one of the guy's at Krieger today and the action and barrel are in fitting. He says it should hit shipping by the 15th. Its one of the rare times when seeing a substantial charge on your card is a good thing. The barreled action may actually get here before the stock. Yippee There's excitment in the air. Plus only 5 wks till bow season!!! Going this weekend and set the trail cam. Finally get to see whats on the menu.

Let him go or shoot em?

Edited by Sgt. D - August/08/2008 at 22:49
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 22:14

Run the cam a little longer. But he would cause no shame on my wall.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 22:17
I got the barrel yesterday.  I will get my gun to the smith this week.  I can't wait.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 21:46
Well here she is, just went and picked it up from the smith. 
IT weighs in at 15.5 lbs with my bipod and stuff attached, perfect

Edited by supertool73 - August/20/2008 at 23:23

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 23:22
WOW  

Send more pics! Is the barrel over 1.25 straight? How is it's balance over the B-pod? Did you go with a oversized recoil lug? And most important, Have you had it at the range yet???

It makes me very impatient for mine to get here! Yippee
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 23:32
It is 1.25 for the first 5 inches then tapers down .015 per inch.  I had it cut at 25", so that would make it .95 at the crown. 

I just played with it a little doing some dry practice out the back door but the balance felt really good over the bipod. 

I just shot 1 round out of it as the smith wanted to check the case to make sure everything looked good in the chamber.  So next I will go through the "break in process".  Since I paid big bucks for the barrel I figure I will follow the instructions that came with it. 

Chamber is great.  If I load my 185 lapua scenars at 2.8 they will be .025 off the lands.  And my max mag length in 2.860.  So I can acutally load them to touch if I wanted to.  Before my chamber depth was like 2.935.  So this will hopefully help a lot.

I cannot believe how much tighter the chamber is.  I tried pushed a round into the chamber that had only been neck sized that was shot out of the other barrel and it would not even go half way in. 

I will get some pics up as soon as I get some range time.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 23:33
Oh, I stayed with the same recoil lug.  My smith said he has tried them with stock and with large and has never seen any difference.  Same opinion of it as Mike.

timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2008 at 19:57
These guys installed some mercury recoil reducers in one of my rifles.  I was surprised how well they worked taming this unscoped 700 ADL 308.  But on a rifle that all ready weighs +15#'s you might not tell that much difference.

http://graco-corp.com/mercury-recoil-reduction-system.aspx?CategoryId=20

Gratuitous photo:

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 00:02

It is 1.25 for the first 5 inches then tapers down .015 per inch.  I had it cut at 25", so that would make it .95 at the crown. 

I just played with it a little doing some dry practice out the back door but the balance felt really good over the bipod. 

Chamber is great.  If I load my 185 lapua scenars at 2.8 they will be .025 off the lands.  And my max mag length in 2.860.  So I can acutally load them to touch if I wanted to.  Before my chamber depth was like 2.935.  So this will hopefully help a lot.

I cannot believe how much tighter the chamber is.  I tried pushed a round into the chamber that had only been neck sized that was shot out of the other barrel and it would not even go half way in. 

WOW again!!! your barrel contour is very similar to what I asked for. The only difference is it is .85 at the muzzel. What is the finished weight? That is something I am anxious to find out on mine. I would imagine that you will load to the lands won't you? I'm sure being able to do so will mean a world of improvment. I wonder if the chamber being so tight will prevent you from getting more than one load out of your brass. I guess if your not loading hot it won't be an issue. Can't wait to see those 5 rd. one holer targets once you get it tuned in.                             Pics Yippee Pics Yippee pics Yippee

Oh! Did you try to rechamber the round you fired? And for qurosity sake measure a case length before you shoot it and again after you shoot that round. See how much stretch you are getting from that tight chamber. You may have to add trimming case length to your loading routine.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 16:33
The chamber is tight enough that I have to full length size after every shot, I found that out real quick.  Although I have only put 40 rounds through it so far.  Both times I shot it it was bad weather and windy and I was working on break in so I have not figured out my good loads yet.  My second time loading the brass I had some pressure problems.  My bolt was a little sticky.  I was using the same load I used before on the new brass which was fine but not this time.  I talked to a buddy who used to load ammo for a living and he said I probably set the shoulder a bit to far back and it increased the pressure a bit.  I ordered some gauges and mics to check things more fully but have not had the time to make any more ammo yet. 

It weighs around 16lbs with my bipod and sling on it. 

So this chamber is definitely different and I think you are right that I am going to have a few more steps to making ammo for it.  It is going to be a good learning opportunity for me and should be a lot of fun.

I was at the range zeroing in my 45-70 the other day and it was in the truck so I pulled it out and shot a 5 shot group with some "American Ballistics" match ammo (which I have not been to impressed with in my old barrel) I had, and after the first one which was a clean cold bore shot the other 4 grouped around .6 MOA.  So it will be interesting to see what it can do when I find a good load for it and get to spend some time with it. 

I may have to rig something up so I can take my loading equipment to the range with me and spend a bunch of time tinkering. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 16:53
That's one heckuva nice rifle you've got there, Supertool!Thunbs%20Up  I hope it shoots to your expectations, and I see no reason why it shouldn't.  You should be very proud of it!Big%20Grin
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic