OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rebarreling Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebarreling Help
    Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:18
I am going to rebarrel my Rem VS .308 sometime in the near future and need some help deciding.  I am considering Pac Nor or Krieger and having them install the barrel to my action.  Is there some others that would be better?  I want to get the Heavy Varmint contour 1.230 straight tapered to .900.   I am debating between 1-10 or 1-11 twist rate.  I will be shooting 175 SMK, 178 Amax, and 185 Lapua Scenars.  What would be the best of the two for those rounds. 

I have already had my action bedded to my stock so I am thinking that I would not need to have that redone (or do I?), unless I decide to get a larger bolt lug.  Do you guys think that is necessary to get a larger bolt lug?  If so is it a big job to dig out all the old bedding compound? 

Also any other things ya'll think I need to know about this would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my current setup, I am to the point where I can out shoot my gun and would like to have it a bit better. 

Edited by supertool73 - May/29/2008 at 15:47
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:30
I would carefully consider the heavier barrel. Make sure your stock can handle it. The heavier barrel will upset the balance. Do you mean 1.23 to 0.9?
I am of the opinion that the 1-10 twist is better for the heavier bullets.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:30

Look up ER Shaw. I have had great success with there tubes. For what you want to shoot I think a 1-10 would work out nicely.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:34
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I would carefully consider the heavier barrel. Make sure your stock can handle it. The heavier barrel will upset the balance. Do you mean 1.23 to 0.9?
I am of the opinion that the 1-10 twist is better for the heavier bullets.

Yes, put the decimal in the wrong place.  That would have been one heck of a barrel.  LOL

The one on it now it 1.23 to .875 I believe so it would not be much heavier, but I would like to add a bit more weight to the gun to reduce a bit more recoil.  I cannot add weight to my stock as it is a fully adjustable HS precision so I have no place add to it.  I am also planning on going with a 24" tube instead of 26" so that would help with the balance a bit as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

fastfeet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 11:33

I had Pac-Nor put on a fluted Super Match stainless barrel in .280 Ackley. I think it was $600 all together.  I would call and talk to someone from the shop and talk to them about barrel twist as they would steer you in the right direction.  I think 1-10 would be a better choice. 

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 13:33
If you know what type of rifling you prefer, that will narrow your choices for barrel companies. I chose Krieger for their cut rifling and service options. Here is a link to several of the builders, you may already have it. If not it can give you a summary of their operations. Let us know what you decide. Good Luck!  Thunbs%20Up

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 14:00
Both are good barrels. I think Krieger is better and I would be willing to bet that most folks that are serious shooters would consider the Krieger better as well. PacNor will have a faster turnaround, I'm pretty sure. As far as the twist is concerned, the 1-11 should be fine, but no slower. Regarding the bedding, it will depend on how the action is presently bedded, meaning, is the action bedded up to the point of the recoil lug or is the chamber area bedded as well. If the latter, then I would have it re-bedded, however, probably only a skim bedding will take care of that unless you opt for the larger recoil lug. In that case, I would have the bedding job redone. Either one of the barrel makers you are considering will be able to do this with little effort. A barrel from Krieger, Lilja, Hart, Schneider, Spencer, Broughton, Bartlein or a Mike Rock are all considered top of the food chain.

Roy
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 15:41
The chamber area is bedded as well.  About 1.5 inches or so infront of the lug.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 16:06
They usually are with heavier contours. Depending on the beding compound used, it will be easily fixed. If Marine-Tex was used it can still be done, just harder/longer. IMO, a heaver recoil lug is not necessary, but if you feel you want one, now is the time.

PS.Nice rig

Roy
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 17:11
I would strongly consider a Schneider Rifle Barrel.  I think if I ever have a rifle of mine re-barreled, his barrel is going on my rifle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

They usually are with heavier contours. Depending on the beding compound used, it will be easily fixed. If Marine-Tex was used it can still be done, just harder/longer. IMO, a heaver recoil lug is not necessary, but if you feel you want one, now is the time.

PS.Nice rig

Roy
I agree with Roy.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 18:32
I'm running a PacNor in the exact taper you speak of, and 26 inch length.
1:12 twist, shoots 175 mk , 190 mk and 178 amax with wonderful results.

It's a bit heavy for offhand, but any sling or bipod supported position works very well, espessially sling prone where the rifle with that heavy barrel just squats in your support hand.

No particular need for a heavy recoil lug, but it's an easy fix if you go that route.  I've tried standard and heavy lugs, and have seen no appreciable difference  or short comming with either.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 21:28
i dont anything about this but dan lilja is supposed to be an excellent machinest and quite an accomplished marksmen and his tolerances are a little tighter than most,but he doesnt thread any of his barrels either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 08:33
This website will give you some excellent information:

I am currently trying to make up my mind on which barrel to get for a 30-06 I am putting together.  As hard as deciding on optics...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 10:01
If your current barrel is 0.875 and you want to go to 0.9, that is a lot of weight. Going thicker on a tube wall adds a lot, being a circle and all that....
So Mike says, if you intend doing offhand shooting, be carefull. One thing is you can allways re-profile the same barrel if it is to thick and/or heavy. But you cannot add on if to thin.
I think that twist rate and speed are inter related. My 308 has a 1;12 twist. I have only shot 30 rounds with it, so I am in no psition to say good or bad. But the slower twist will allow you to push the bullets faster without pressure build up.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 10:32
I want the heavier barrel mostly for the added weight.  I would like it to weigh in the 15 to 16 lbs region when it is done, I am at about 12.5 to 13 right now and a little more weight would be nice for the recoil reduction.  This gun is shot from prone 95% or more of the time, so carrying it around or shooting offhand is not something I will do with it much.  I have my hunting rifles for that kind of shooting.

I have been shooting the 175 SMK, 178 Amax and 185 Lapua out of the current 1-12 barrel and they shoot pretty good.  But the 168's do shoot a bit better but I like the heavier bullets as they stay super sonic longer and don't go as squirrelly when the do go subsonic.   So I figure a faster twist rate can only benefit the bullets I like to shoot.  Most of the time I get about 3/4 MOA groups occasionally I can get 1/2 MOA.  I have about 3000 rounds through this barrel so I will shoot it a bit more and then probably get the new one.

Pyro, I have seriously considered Lija as I know a guy who uses their barrels and his guns shoot amazing.  But like you said they don't do the work on them.  I have a local smith, but I would prefer to have someone like one of the big companies who have probably done thousands of them fit the barrel and stuff.  I just think in the end I may get a better product.  But then again maybe he would do it better it is hard to say.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.  I have been researching this for several months but it is nice to hear from people with experience on this.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 17:01
Well I just ordered a Lija barrel.  I got the Heavy Varmint Contour in 1-10" twist.
NBRSA HV Taper 1.250" .925" 5.0" 27.0" 6.75 lbs.

I talked to my smith a couple times today and he assured me he will do top quality work on it, plus I won't have to wait 6 months or more for one of the companies to do it. 
Krieger had a 16 to 18 week wait time for just the barrel and 22 to 24 weeks for mounting it to my action. 
Lija only had a 9 week wait for the barrel so I went with them.  My gunsmith will probably have it done in a week or so once he gets the barrel.  He always does really quick work for me.  
Well now I am giddy as a school girl excited.  Oh%20Yea%20Baby

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 18:16
button pulled rifling on the lilja you wont be disapointed i bet! good choice bro!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 16:39

You will most likely be happy with the Lilja barrel, Supertool.  All the major "top of the food chain" match grade barrel makers mentioned put out barrel blanks that air gage to 0.0002" T.I.R. (total indicator reading / runout).  It really doesn't matter much what method they use for rifling the bore or what steps they use in their process; it's the final result that counts.  All are good; much better than your factory barrel, and all have been well represented in the winners circle at various competitive shooting events.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 22:31
I am rebarelling a gun to 338RUM and wanted a cut-rifled hand lapped barrel this time.  I ordered one from Krieger but the wait time was sometime in September and I am not that patient. 

After a bit of research it seems that if you want a cut rifled barrel then you are limited to;

The lead time on the Barlein was not quite as bad as the Krieger, but the lead time on a Brux was only 3 weeks.  They use the same Pratt & Whitney machines that Krieger uses and it is my hope that they will give a lot of personal attention.  Rather than being one of 100's of Krieger barrels 4 months from now I decided to be one of a lot fewer at Brux.

Sent it to my gunsmith in Salt Lake City.  He will thread the barrel to fit the action, chamber it, square the action, cut the barrel at 26", recrown and magna-port it.  Then he sends it off to the finisher who will finish the barrel and action in matte black.  He will take more time than it takes to get the barrel shipped to him from the manufacturer.

While it's gone I am going to install some Edwards recoil suppressors http://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/index.htm in the stock

Should tame that bad boy down.  225 gr Tipped Triple Shocks at 3100 fps here I come! Big%20Grin
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic