OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

And your worst shot-be brave!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 01:11
Not only worst shot but best and worst day ever. Like Tahqua it is with archery. During the summer I had crushed the fingers of my right hand driving stakes with a sledge hammer. So I did not get any practice this year. I shot the bow a few shots the day before opening day and could hit the paper plate target out to 30 yds. This was before I ever started using sights on a bow. Early on opening day drove to Camp Gruber and found the tree I had hunted in the year before. At 7:20 I spot a doe headed my way. She stopped broadside in an opening at 25 yds. Twang, That old Bear Whitetail was loud, missed right over her back and off she went. Continued the wait and at 8:35 another doe walks down the same trail. Just like the first she stops in the opening. Twang, right over her back. Very frustrated. Two shots in one morning and I had missed both. Stayed in the tree and at 10:00 another deer coming from the other direction. It is a 4 point and it halts at about 15 yds. Twang . Another miss over the back. Can it get worse? Yes, at 11:15 a spike comes right under my stand. Twang. yep high again. I get down from the tree pack all my gear in the car and drive to town and buy a sight for the bow. go home and shoot till my fingers bleed learning to shoot with the sight. Well I never got another shot that year. 4 deer that should have been give me shots any other year. I missed all 4 before noon. 4 of my worst shots on the most active archery hunt of my life.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 21:55
That is interesting that you bring up the Bear Whitetail. They were loud. Friends that had them back then said the deer would jump at the release of the string. Those cam bracket mounts were the culprit, no doubt.
I hear you with instinctive shooting, too. You had a finger ailment that contributed towards your problem. For me it's not having enough time to shoot daily. My instinctive shooting needs that for anything over fifteen yards from season to season.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 10:50
Good man, Root.   I bet he tasted good, too.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 15:05

It was one of the first cam bows that came out. The recoil of those heavy limbs always killed me on that bow. I now shoot an Oneida Eagle. Old but it still has a lot of the feel that the recurve bow gives when you pull it. I wish I could find another that I could keep rigged for bowfishing.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 19:25
Had one bad shot with my bow.  I was out trying for a doe to get some meat.  Finally got up on a doe at about 30 yards.  Thought to myself, this should be too bad.  Ended up shooting a little high and hit her high in the shoulder.  Could see the arrow sticking out both sides and bleeding.  Never did find that animal.  I hate it when that happens.  Only animal I think I have ever not found.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2008 at 14:55
On the bow front I guess mine was last season. Opening day went to a spot that looked good expecting to break the ice with a doe. Ofcourse a nice shooter 8 point is the only thing to show up. No problem right. One reason I picked the spot other than good sign was it was a soy bean field and the beans were on average about 40 inches high with a low spot here and there. Deer love that cause they can bed down right there and feed anytime they like. This buck exits the wood line about 90yds. straight infront of my position and in my best shot window. He closes the cap to 50yds. (range finder) and holds there for 45 mins. 50yds. is my bows sweet spot but I want to get this one mounted so I decide to wait for 30yds. or better. It is the opening day after all, better safe than sorry right. Well its about 20mins. of shootable light left and time to decide, take the shot or spook him when I leave, cause there is no hidden way out.            Thinking            I'm taken the shot!
Check the distance (for the 237th time "51yds".), set the pin on 51yds. wait till he steps back in that low spot. There! he's in the spot broadside facing to my right. I've been in position for over 30mins so ne need to move. A few setteling breaths and draw, there's the spot squeeeeeeeeeze and it's off!!! Looks good, looks good, looks good Eek he drops and darts forward. Rascal jumps the string on me. And I knew sure as I'm sittin here I was suppose to aim low for that very reason!Cencored.......... needless to say, hadn't seen that one since. I hope this being the second time that has happened, that I'll remember and get it right in the future. I hope ya'll aren't as frustrated after readin this as I am. But that's OK opening day is closing fast and if this left arm don't let me down I'll be sittin in a stand, thinkin, "bring it!!"  

Speaking of; A while back I saw a video of Knight & hale trying a thing they built that attached to the bow and rested on the hip or waist. It looked promising for folks with certain disabilities. But I haven't seen it on the market.  Anybody know what I'm talkin about or know if something like it is out there?
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SC sportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC sportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2008 at 23:55
My worst shot was with a bow also.  It was about 12yrs ago when I was in high school.
I had already shot high over the back of two does that year.  When I'd get home and checked the bow out everything would be fine.  I later found out that when I was in the tree I was getting excited and not getting a correct anchor point (not bending at the waist).
Anyway, its about 8:30.  I'm sitting in a swamp trying not to doze off when I catch a glimpse of horns headed my way.  This was the biggest buck I have ever seen while hunting, even to this day.  He walks up and stops broadside on the trail that I used coming to the stand.  I couldn't draw without him seeing me.  He must of stood there for 5 minutes just looking.  He knew something was wrong but he didn't spook.  Instead, he turned and walked straight toward my tree.  I tried to draw when he got behind a tree but he busted me in mid-draw.  I still don't think he knew what I was cause he kinda just looked at me for a few seconds.  As he turned to run, I whistled and came to full draw.  He stopped broadside at 20 yards and I had my 20yd pin in the kill zone.  Then I remembered the two does that I had missed high.  I didn't want to miss him high so I thought I'd compensate and I dropped the pin to just under his chest behind the front leg, AND THAT'S WHERE I SHOT! I made a concious decision to shoot under the biggest deer of my life.  So I guess it wasn't a bad shot but more of a bad decision, since the arrow went where I was aiming.
To make matters worse.  The whole thing was witnessed by a family friend that was teaching me about bowhunting.  He was about 75 yrds away in another tree.  He won't let me forget it.

swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 19:51
I have 99 worst shots.  I went on a dove hunt (my first) with some buddies.  The VERY FIRST dove I shot at was: way too far away, flying like it was on crack and directly above me....but I killed it-grave yard dead.
So I yell to my buddies "This S**T is easy!!!!"
I shot 99 more times and never hit another bird.
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 01:00
Shot through the floor board and through the transmission of my dads old jeep with a muzzleloader. That was a lesson learned about muzzleloading safety.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic