OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your best shot-time to brag a little!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshhooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2015 at 20:05
I was bowfishing for carp with a buddy one time and as we were motoring across a tributary lake between coves at full throttle speed from a 5HP outboard I spotted a large one squirming along the bank about 30 yds away.  I let my tethered fiberglass arrow fly and nailed it center of mass and it jumped high out of the water several times with the arrow sticking through it before I reeled it in. It was by far the longest shot either of us had ever made from his little john boat, while moving at full speed no less.

I also poked this same arrow into a skinny gar about 4ft deep in the water from a 50ft cliff well enough to reel it up. My 65lb pull compund bow was not enough to push the heavy arrow all the way through that armor plated beast but it got the prongs inside the body of the fish well enough that it stayed on as I reeled him up.
Phangs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phangs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2015 at 15:20
Years ago my parents garden was being destroyed by blackbirds. We had just moved into the burbs and my parents weren't to keen on the idea of me shooting them with a pellet rifle with houses so close, so i was restricted to the old slingshot. After a long afternoon of just temporarily scaring the birds away I was getting very frustrated. I grabbed a handful of rocks and thought I could shoot them out of the air.  I grew up without any neighbors and being a dumb kid I didn't think about "what goes up, must come down". So I pull back and wait for a bird to fly over. Here they come and I release....and miss completely. As a watch this rock come tumbling back down, a bird flies underneath it and SMACK! right to the head. It crashes down...right into the new privacy fence my father had just built. And what a mess that was. Needless to say my old man was proud and pissed all at the same time. Luck 100% Stupidity 100%
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2015 at 16:31
I'll play on this 7-year-old thread.  This last January I killed a doe with my 7mm-08 at a rangefinder verified 324 meters.  The cool part was that I was just resting on a monopod, and was standing and otherwise unsupported. 

But that's not my best shot...

When I was eleven, my dad put me in a tower blind in South Texas over the objections of his close friend and retired Air Force colonel Sam Hoskins (Rest in Peace).  Col. Hoskins didn't think I was responsible enough a hunter to hunt a 300ydx500yd oat patch without dad in the stand with me, especially since his ranch had a 8pt or better limit.  It got past 9am, and as anyone who hunts with kids knows, that's the point at which kids get restless.  Anyhow, I was looking at the field and saw something "different" out about 300yds, and put my binos on it and saw that it was an 8pt.  I lined up my .243 Win, but I could only see the front of the shoulder as he was in thick cover and only stuck his neck out into the field to eat oats.  Heart pumping, I settled the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.  The buck immediately fell, but kept kicking.  So I shot him again.  It turns out I missed by about 2 inches, shooting the buck in the neck with the first shot.  The bullet was still beneath the hide on the far side.

Dad immediately came over after hearing the shots, and I walked him out to the buck.  He stepped it off at 300 yds. About 15 mins later, Col. Hoskins showed up and after dad told him about the buck and the shot he said "nothing but G**d**mn luck," to which my dad replied.  Maybe, but Deck shot him twice.  Col. Hoskins never questioned my hunting ability from then until he passed away 5 years ago from bone cancer, but that was my best shot ever.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2015 at 18:15
Hmmmm, Ok I will tell ya, although there have been many lucky shots as I grew up using everything from a home made bow, BB gun, Pellet Gun, then 22 rimfire 550 Remington Auto as a kid.
 I was about 13 and sitting down along a small pond watching some birds. When a seagull appeared above. This was a loooong time ago but my guess was the bird was about 100 yards, it was just up there sort of hovering in the wind. So thru iron sights I got a bead on him, then pulled a little above and to the right of him and fired. The gull sorta folded up, then started to glide down at the ground at a steep angle. There was a old highway with this VW Bug coming, I said to myself oh sh*t! Sure enough that bird hit the front end of the bug and went up over the windshield. That Bug never did slow down.
  Me, I dont think I could have gotten any lower to the ground just hoping I would not be spotted..Big Grin There havent been alot of shots made by that ol 22 like that. Although there were a few more on edable game.....Funny thinking back on it.. Im not very steady anymore though, thats where the shootin sticks come in.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 01:17
Originally posted by Torqued Torqued wrote:

Range shot would be my 340 Weatherby making a .38" 5 shot group at 100 yds. from the bench.

My best 5 shot group shot from my custom Hart barreled Husqvarna bedded by McMillan using 168 gr Sierra Match bullets. IIRC, I used 50 grs of IMR4064 and the rifle, at that time, was wearing a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36. The action at this rifle is so frickin smooth it has to be felt to be believed. Even the factory trigger breaks clean and crisp at @ 2.5 lbs. I have another unmolested Husky called a "Swede" which apparently according to the guys over at Gun Boards was a very rare model here in the USA cause, for whatever reason, wasn't a big seller, but was a big seller across the pond. It's a light weight straight combed stock with a shadow line cheek piece and a Schnabel forend. I got the rifle by accident actually as I was going to buy a donner 700 rifle from a friend of my fathers and as we were going through the long, long list of rifles this gentlemen owned, I saw a Husqvarna 30/06 on the list. Long story short and being a big fan of those 1900 action Husky's, I asked if he still had the rifle. He located the rifle under a bed in his home and my eyes lit up, not because I knew it was a rare model, but just the fact that he owned one of my favorite rifles. Not much haggling took place as I knew somehow, someway it was going home with me. When I got it home I was met with another pleasant surprise. It was unfired. It took me over an hour to remove the caked on, packed in Cosmoline and there was no way in hell that with all that crap packed in the action, chamber and barrel that a bullet ever made it's way down the barrel. He was the original owner and confirmed that he never fired the rifle. I decided to keep it that way, so for looks I just mounted an older model Leupold 2-7 in Buehler mounts.

My unfired Husky 30/06...

Edited by Roy Finn - April/13/2015 at 09:00
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 08:25
That Husky is gorgeous, Roy.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 09:19
I'm assuming you're talking about the wood stocked "Swede". I love that rifle. Those Husqvarna's have one of the very smoothest actions ever made. The other one with the Hart Barrel wasn't any slouch for accuracy either when it had the factory barrel. They are getting much tougher to find, and mine is literally in brand new condition. Not a mark on the stock.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 10:26
You are correct, sir.  I was talking about the Swede.  I'm a sucker for a schnabel forend wood stock.  That's part of why I got my Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 11:02
Sounds like you and I have similar tastes. I'm a sucker for a nicely figured wood stocked Mod 70 with a stainless barreled action and throw in a red recoil pad while you're at it. This was what Winchester, I believe, called the Ultimate Classic. It had a Krieger barrel that you could get in a plain contour, fluted, octagon and one other that's slipping my mind right now (could have been called half round meaning it had a couple or three flats and not a full octagon). It was a Winchester Custom Shop rifle and most of the ones I've seen for sale had beautiful wood. I'm pretty sure they made a Feather Weight version too.

Edited by Roy Finn - April/13/2015 at 11:11
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 11:20

Only one rifle can rival the Model 70 Featherweight, and that’s a Custom Shop Featherweight. The Controlled Round Feed action with massive claw extractor bolt is hand-honed for unbelievable smoothness. The semi-fancy American walnut stock features a Schnabel fore-end, cut checkering and is fitted with a 1" Pachmayr® Decelerator® recoil pad and flush-mount sling swivel bases. A match-grade 22" Krieger® barrel is chambered for a variety of short and long action cartridges. Offered in either blued or stainless steel.

No Longer in Production The items listed on this page are not in current production and are referred to as Historic Product around the website. The MSRP listed here is the MSRP for the last year the item was produced. Images and descriptions shown on this page do not necessarily represent the product in its entirety. They are shown for examples only. Learn more about firearms no longer in production.

Last
Year in
Catalog Item # Caliber   Magazine
Capacity Barrel
Length Overall
Length Length
of Pull Drop
at Comb Drop
at Heel Nom.
Weight Rate of Twist MSRP

2007 535945212 243 Win     5 22"       13 3/4"        6 lbs 8 oz    $2,866.00
2007 535945219 6.5 X 55 Swede     5 22"       13 3/4"        7 lbs 4 oz    $2,866.00
2007 535945220 308 Win     5 22"       13 3/4"        6 lbs 8 oz    $2,866.00
2007 535945221 284 Win     4 22"       13 3/4"        6 lbs 8 oz    $2,866.00
2007 535945225 25-06 Rem     5 22"       13 3/4"        7 lbs 4 oz    $2,866.00
2007 535945226 270 Win     5 22"       13 3/4"        7 lbs 4 oz    $2,762.00
2007 535945227 280 Rem     5 22"       13 3/4"        7 lbs 4 oz    $2,762.00
2007 535945228 30-06 Spfld     5 22"       13 3/4"        7 lbs 4 oz    $2,762.00

Notes: **For additional capacity, add one round in chamber. 1. Drops are measured from center line of bore. 2. Twist is right-hand. 3. Scopes, bases and/or rings are not included unless otherwise noted. Prices are in U.S. dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2015 at 22:09
Lucky shot. Some 45 Decembers ago as I was quail hunting in a creek bottom near my home, I noticed a snow goose (alone) some 300 yards away in a one of the harvested bean fields. With no way to get near him without the bird dogs spooking him, I detoured around the field, finished my quail hunt and went back to the house. There I swapped my 12 gauge for a Savage 99 .243 and headed back for the goose. My only hidden approach was along the recently channelized creek with little cover but Johnson grass on the bank. I took the long shot from the field edge and missed, flushing the goose. He flew almost out sight (just a speck in the sky), but turned and flew back high over the creek. As he came by the open sighted .243 field dressed him putting what remained in the shallow creek. "His goose was cooked" ----the next day.
Outrider
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 11:54

This is from the thread "Claim to Fame" under SHOOTING here 
at May/07/2011 at 14:43.

Sorry the picture links have expired.

As a side note 22plinkster did this freehand with a pistol!
He says it caused more people to say fake than everything he has done to date.  

If you want to see his YouTube video check out

"Shooting through a .223 casing with a .22lr"

Since then he "up it" by shooting through a .22lr barrel and has it on high speed film.  See: "SHOOTING A BULLET THROUGH A 22LR BARREL- TRICK SHOT"

Now I'm going to have give that a try.  Note to self: I doubt I can do that.

Originally posted by dsr dsr wrote:

The best shot that I ever made is after practicing, I usually try to do something fun.   I while I was policing my brass I found some 7.62X39 brass and some  .223 and thought about trying to shoot through the neck of a 7.62X39 to the cartridge head.  The problem was how to hold the brass so the shot would have a straight line the cartridge head.  The solution was shooting a notch into a small log.  The notch is then aligned with the bore line from the benchrest so it was starting to look possible.  The first few tries the brass went flying and was not to be found.  So need I need to find some way to hold the brass in place – a busted piece of concrete block was tried, still losing the brass, ended up placing a board resting behind to deflect the brass down into the ground.  The 22lr went  straight into the 7.62X39 head and popped the berdan primer out and partially separated the case head from the case walls.  THAT was too easy so how about the .223 brass now that seemed like a challenge.  After a few tries had one that split the case mouth and thought that was the best I was going to do (see link the progression second cartridge from left).  Had to try once more and ended up making my best shot ever, 22lr through the case mouth without damaging the case mouth/neck into the case head popping the primer out and partially separating the case head from the case walls and the best is the bullet still inside the .223 brass.  I know,---- so that is why I posted the pictures of my best shot.

7.62X39: (sample try)

bullet in 233 casebullet in 233 case:

233 with pimer popped out:

undamaged case mouth:

the progression: (Some of the results on the way to goal)

Regards,
dsr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic