OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon glass ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon glass ???
    Posted: May/29/2008 at 01:22
Can anyone tell me the country of origin for Trijicon's glass? How does it compare to other glass like Zeiss of Kahles?  Thanks, Bricat
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 07:10
When I talked to them last, the glass was from Japan. The mechanical components are machined and assembled here in Michigan.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 07:28
I have a Trijicon TR22 and absolutely love it.  I have no experience hunting with a Zeiss.  I do have a friend with an older Kahles and on a BAR 300 Win. magnum that I have hunted with.  Personally, I think the Trijicon is a better scope all around.  But, the Trijicon is a newer model with a larger objective and I do not even know which model Kahles he has.  It looks to be in good shape and is clear as a bell looking through it, but that is my only experience.  I would defer to Ted in this area.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 07:29
Tahqua is right, the glass is from Japan.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 09:59
You going to photograph it or you going to shoot it? Trijicon glass is good enough to kill what you are after.  The reality of scopes is that it is far more important that the scope holds its internal adjustment and stays on target in spite of abuse than that the glass be of the same optical quality as NASA might use for photography. Its all well and good that Kahles and Swarovski and Zeiss Diavari have nice clear glass, but when it comes right down to the actual use of the scope to kill something the difference of being able to see it well and being able to see it incredibly well is a moot point. There are other factors at play. Since the trajectory of a bullet is an arc one must be able to compensate for that trajectory at different ranges. One must also be able to make some adjustment for the effects of wind. At distance factors like temperature, elevation, angle, humidity, cheekweld (whether or not you are holding you mouth just right) all come into play.  Scopes are a visual thing and as such if you find a scope and you look through it and you like it buy it and use it and enjoy it, but realize that there is much more to hitting the target than the quality of the glass. Obviously different scopes are designed for different applications. Most Trijicon scopes are gunfight scopes for M-16 with tritium and fiber optic illuminated reticles designed to engage targets in the 0 to 400 yd distance that a .223 is at its best at. The Trijicon Accupoint scopes that are a more traditional optic are designed to be used for hunting situations where coming onto target rapidly and potentially in low light against dangerous game is more necessary than being able to shoot at extreme long range. The Accupoint scopes are best used for hunting in the under 300 yd range that most game is taken at because trajectory if known can be compensated for by holding over a little at those distances. Once you get out past 300 yds you better be able to dial in correction for elevation and windage. http://www.kentonindustries.com/

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:02
I've only looked at the Accupoint scopes inside buildings at shows.  I've not used them outside at all.  Optically, they did look good as best I could tell inside the building.  What I could tell, however, is that the lit triangle and post reticle is very fast, provides an uncluttered sight picture, and it uses a very simple, totally dependable, unique illumination system.  I like it based on that alone, so even if the optics were only fair, I think it's an intriguing scope.  But, from all reports, they are optically very nice.  I've heard they are on par with Elite 4200 / Nikon Monarch level glass-wise, but can't confirm.  If that's the case, that would put it slightly behind but very close to the Conquest IMO, but opinions obviously vary on that.  Likewise, I think Kahles is noticeably better than Conquest optically, but not everyone agrees on that either.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. 

I do know glass is from Japan, and they are assembled in Wixom, MI.  Keep in mind that the reticle is lit by the fiber optics during the day and the tritium lamp in low light.  As with all tritium lamps, eventually, the tritium will stop glowing and you will no longer have illumination in really low light.  This may or may not be an issue, as you can probably send it back to Trijicon for replacement of the tritium, or you may be fine just using the fiber optic illumination as-is.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:12
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You going to photograph it or you going to shoot it? Trijicon glass is good enough to kill what you are after.  The reality of scopes is that it is far more important that the scope holds its internal adjustment and stays on target in spite of abuse than that the glass be of the same optical quality as NASA might use for photography.

Amen.  A scope isn't a binocular, and it is first and foremost an aiming device.

The only caveat I would add to that is that there's more benefit to having high-end optics than just slightly better clarity and resolution.  The higher end glass usually has better light transmission and performs better in poor light.  So, whether or not you benefit from better glass depends a lot on whether you hunt in very low light or at night (where legal).  For instance, in the offseason, I hunt at night for hogs on moonlit nights where I can still see through my better scopes all night long at reasonable shooting distances.  This is perfectly legal in Texas.  My lesser quality scopes are basically useless in that scenario.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:25
I've looked at the accupoints for several years.  I have a TAO1B on an AP4 (like a CAR-15 but in .308) it's an awesome scope for a gunfight.  I ordered in a accupoint 3-9x40 amber post and examined it and without mounting or using it returned it as I did not think the glass in it was up to speed but that was several years ago. When I visited SWFA I got a close look at the 1.25-4 version and I liked the glass in it and really liked the scope.  I have had the opportunity to look at the 2.5-10x56 and the glass in it appears to be on a level with the Bushnell 4200 it was very very nice and I will at some point buy one. I think these are the number one choice for hunting where dangerous game lives because you dont have to turn on the illumination it runs 24/7 and I have a friend who has a lioness full mount in his game room that he killed when it came into camp hunting them during the night. So if in Bear country, Cougar country or anywhere that large preditors or rabid animals might be its a good choice.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/29/2008 at 10:26

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:27
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You going to photograph it or you going to shoot it? Trijicon glass is good enough to kill what you are after.  The reality of scopes is that it is far more important that the scope holds its internal adjustment and stays on target in spite of abuse than that the glass be of the same optical quality as NASA might use for photography.

Amen.  A scope isn't a binocular, and it is first and foremost an aiming device.

The only caveat I would add to that is that there's more benefit to having high-end optics than just slightly better clarity and resolution.  The higher end glass usually has better light transmission and performs better in poor light.  So, whether or not you benefit from better glass depends a lot on whether you hunt in very low light or at night (where legal).  For instance, in the offseason, I hunt at night for hogs on moonlit nights where I can still see through my better scopes all night long at reasonable shooting distances.  This is perfectly legal in Texas.  My lesser quality scopes are basically useless in that scenario.

I agree with you guys on the point that first and foremost scopes are an aiming device.  But if super nice glass is available they why not get it.  (this is what all the Leupold fans always argue, it just seems funny to me) In my opinion if I am looking through my scope I want to be able to see as good with it as I can with my nice bino's, or even better see everything I can see with my eyes.  Before I started buying nicer optics I hated it when I could see something with my eyes then when I pulled up my scope it was hard to make out and see it clearly.  I agree accurate adjustments and dependability are or at least should be on the top of everyones list.  But in most medium to high end scopes these days that is going to be a given.  So why not focus on the scopes with the best optics as well, it is only going to make your shooting more enjoyable.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 12:04
The Trijicon glass in my opinion is excellent and several clicks above the Elite 4200 that I own, which goes up to I believe 16x.  I would have to pull it out and check.  After purchasing the Trijicon, I compared it to the Elite and Nikon Monarch and Sightron S2 and optically it was a clear winner, hands down.  As I have previously stated, it caught my eye while in a gun shop after looking through a Swarovski and the owner asked me to take a look through the TR22 they had just mounted on a customer's Weatherby.  It blew me away and I subsequently bought the scope, from elsewhere (cheaper.)  The E/W adjustments are as accurate as any that I own.  Personally, I do not believe any of mine are perfect, but good enough for what I do, hunting.  The limitations with my scope, with respect to hunting out to less than 300 yards has to do with the post reticle that obscures the target at further distance, but for no other reason.  They now have more traditional reticles.  There was a recent article, I believe written by Craig Boddington regarding this subject.  Trijicon came on board as a sponsor to his show and apparently he helped them design their new reticles (if I am correct, if not correct me please.)  The new reticles will eliminate the long distance issue.  The other issue regarding the tritium light gathering source and limited life is a concern.  Trijicon warrants the source for 15 years, the rest of the scope has a lifetime warranty.  Great scope overall.  The eye box is the least forgiving I have ever viewed through, bar none.  To me that is important when raising your rifle to take aim at animal that is on the move especially.  The BAC, Bindon Aiming Concept, really does work, but also works with my Leupold 1.5x5 VX-III, but not as smoothly.  I was going to buy the Trijicon 3x9 for the New Rig that I posted, but wanted more upper end magnification for that 257 Wby. and again, Leupold came through with the variety of scopes that fit the bill and when I saw the gun metal gray, I knew it had to go on that rifle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 12:05
 Huh ....... seems for the prices Leupold puts in less quality lenses .... just my opinion by reading many reliable posts here .     Poker
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 12:12
thanks for the feedback Dolphin
I have been toying with the idea of one of those for some time

I just got a TA33 3x compact ACOG for my 6.8 upper and am very impressed with it.

I don't believe the new reticle scopes will be out for a bit, at least the last I checked that was the case

I think I will be buying the 3-9x40 with a German #4 reticle for my 308 Tikka that's unscoped at the moment...

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 12:48

I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed with a Trijicon Accupoint rifle scope.  Plus, they are made in the good old USA.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 12:54
Trijicon glass comes from Light Optics Works in Japan.  The same place that makes Bushnell Elite scopes, Nightforce and some others.

If I understand this correctly the front end of the scope (i.e. the objective lens system) is assembled by LOW in Japan.  However, the eyepiece and all the reticle related stuff is assembled and integrated here in US (in Michigan).

ILya
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 13:23
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I agree with you guys on the point that first and foremost scopes are an aiming device.  But if super nice glass is available they why not get it.  (this is what all the Leupold fans always argue, it just seems funny to me) In my opinion if I am looking through my scope I want to be able to see as good with it as I can with my nice bino's, or even better see everything I can see with my eyes.  Before I started buying nicer optics I hated it when I could see something with my eyes then when I pulled up my scope it was hard to make out and see it clearly.  I agree accurate adjustments and dependability are or at least should be on the top of everyones list.  But in most medium to high end scopes these days that is going to be a given.  So why not focus on the scopes with the best optics as well, it is only going to make your shooting more enjoyable.
[/QUOTE]

+1

Any mid and upper range scope you buy today that doesn't hold zero should be replaced asap.   Call
So it makes sense to focus on glass.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 07:20
dolphin you said, "The eye box is the least forgiving I have ever viewed through, bar none."
do you mean that the eyebox is the most forgiving you have ever viewed through?[easy to find picture etc]
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 07:46
Exactly.  It is almost impossible to white out.  Now this is for the TR22, I cannot comment about their other scopes.  I have looked through the 3x9, but do not own it and have not hunted with one.  While looking through the 3x9 in the gun shop it appeared to be rather forgiving, but not as much as the TR22.  Realize this comparison is to other scopes that I have looked through in the gun shops and that I own.  To other super high end scopes, their was no comparison, imo. 

Edited by Dolphin - June/03/2008 at 07:49
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 17:29
Hello everyone as I am new to this site. I felt compelled to post regarding the Accupoint. I have the TR22 on a RR A4 varmint upper, the Burris XTR on a Tikka Tactical and the Zeiss Conquest on a Tikka Lite in 300 wsm. Of the three the Accupoint is by far the better scope as far as clarity and brightness. I can literally watch 223 rounds enter the target at 100 meters as if I could reach out and touch them. It is an amazing scope for the money (though not that cheap). I would rate the Burris 2nd and the Zeiss third simply because it just does not seem to have the clrity of the other two. However it is very bright, especially in very low light situations. Hope this helped and just my opinion.  
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 08:03
I agree, until you have experienced that Trijicon on a hunting rifle, you really do not know what you are missing.  It is an amazing scope.  You are right, it is not cheap, but by Euro standards, it is a bargain.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 12:54
I don't own one, though I have had the pleasure of using a friends rifle that is equipped with one. I was suitably impressed, it's a fine piece of optics, especially when you look at the price.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic