OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weak hand shooting??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weak hand shooting??
    Posted: May/28/2008 at 16:52
I occasionally shoot weak hand from time to time just to try and stay sharp. I believe in the concept of weak hand shooting in theory, just not in practice. Big%20Grin

I went to the range last Sunday and used up my last 10 rounds shooting...(gulp)...right handed.   Puker
(How ya'll do that, I'll never know.)

Anybody practice weak hand shooting??

Edited by cheaptrick - May/28/2008 at 16:54
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:06
I do, with rifles and handguns.  I also practice weak hand and one handed malfuction clearances. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:12

Here's my 10 shot group @ 100 weak handed.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:38
I have tried "week" hand shooting with a pistol a few times but to get that good of a group I would need to be about one foot from the target.

Duce Bucky
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:47
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I have tried "week" hand shooting with a pistol a few times but to get that good of a group I would need to be about one foot from the target.

Duce Bucky

I HIGHLY doubt that, Jim. No%20No
I remember seeing a pic of a group you shot with your rifle and my SS once and it was superb, Sir.     
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 18:24
Well CT, if that's your weak side I don't ever want to p*ss you off! 
God save the Empire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 18:35
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Well CT, if that's your weak side I don't ever want to p*ss you off! 

Embarrased 
Thank you, but this group was shot off a Harris Bipod and a bench. I own an accurate rifle and this group should have been better. conditions were ideal.  
I'm just an average shooter who needs to work on his marksmanship skills on BOTH sides of the action.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 19:23
I shoot weak hand sometimes.  I find it a challange and a lot of fun.  I do ok at the bench, but my offhand is sadly lacking.  Mouth%20Taped%20Shut  I do it mainly with my small caliber stuff.  Will have to try it with my 300 some time and see what happens.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 21:09
i have killed a few deer shooting left handed that was fun, it made me shoot better cause i had to concentrate more, end results were one shot one kill so i was happy, i dont practice it most of my shooting time is devoted to r&d purposes so i gotta give myself every advantage i can there.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 21:37
I went to an Inservice shooting course a couple of years ago. We shot 2000 rounds (duty weapon) in one week, 45% of it was weak hand. At the end of the week and for the first time in my life I didn't want to pick up a pistol.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 22:38
Sounds like engagement weapons school in San Dog.  We had to shoot everything: M-14, shotgun, and .45 with both hands from all positions under stress conditions.  It was fun.
But I much prefer portside.     LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 22:45
I shoot right handed most of the time, but I am left eye dominant.  I have thought about switching, but it would take a long time to learn.  During Marine OCS and The Basic School after, the tried to make me shoot lefty.  I couldn't qual that way, so they let me shoot right and I made sharpshooter.  I would love to work up to the point I could qual left as well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 04:08
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Well thats not so bad. It looks just a little better than my strong hand groups. LOL.

Edited by trigger29 - June/06/2008 at 04:08

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 20:20
I, like Helo, am left eye dominant but I made the change. Had to. Dad waled me good for missing doves. All my shotgun is left hand and most of my handgun is right. With rifles it is mixed but it is mostly left. When I have a bad day its because I used the wrong hand. I really do better when I keep both eyes open and shoot left handed. Especially on moving targets.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 20:52

i dont understand why you dont just switch and shoot normal, you arent a weak shooter from either side the way i see it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 02:18
Thanks for the compliments, but heres the same rifle, same day, 5 shot, 100 yard group from The....Dark side. Devil 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 07:04
Hey Mark did you or the Warden shoot that group??

.........regardless, excellent shooting!
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 07:51

Thanks for the compliments, but heres the same rifle, same day, 5 shot, 100 yard group from The....Dark side. Devil 

dude for deer the way you shoot "weak" handed is plenty accurate enough!! can you shoot pretty well beyond 100yds that way as well??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 09:51

try weak side shotgun -- six pepper poppers, timed runs-- then try to convince yourself why a pump is better than an auto.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 11:11
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

try weak side shotgun -- six pepper poppers, timed runs-- then try to convince yourself why a pump is better than an auto.

I'm terrible shooting RH with a shot gun and only fair when shooting LH, Dale.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic