OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapygmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope selection
    Posted: May/27/2008 at 19:29
Looking to experiment with shooting from 200 to 800 yards and can't decide on a scope under $500. I've narrowed down to the Nikon Monarch 4-16, Burris FF2 TAC30 4.5-14, or Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16. My main concerns are reasonable glass, repeatable clicks, and turrets that are easy to set to different ranges like target turrets. I want to range a target then click up to it, not use a BDC reticle. Each scope seems to fit my needs but has one drawback making it hard to pick one. Nikon's poor rep for customer service, the Burris scope probably has the worst glass of the three and the Bushnell has the least useful turrets for what I want. Any input? I'll be shooting a 12 pound .260 Rem. if it matters.  Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 00:19
In the under $500 range, I think you should also consider the Super Sniper scopes that come in fixed 10x or 16x or 20x.  If I had to pick from your list the Bushnell 4200 would be the one it has far better glass. The down side is it it 1/8 moa clicks.  On the up side you can get Kenton Ind target knobs for it. http://www.kentonindustries.com/

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 06:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

In the under $500 range, I think you should also consider the Super Sniper scopes that come in fixed 10x or 16x or 20x.  If I had to pick from your list the Bushnell 4200 would be the one it has far better glass. The down side is it it 1/8 moa clicks.  On the up side you can get Kenton Ind target knobs for it. http://www.kentonindustries.com/
EXCELLENT post Wes!!!!!! I was going to say SS as well, The Kenton Industries is something I had not thought of for the 4200 though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 16:25
SS all the way Excellent
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 19:41
hard to beat SS for that application.  And you'll have enough left over to spend on good mounts and rings.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 00:02

I'm thinking the 16x Super Sniper with Badger rings and base or at least Warne steel rings and base. The only down side to the high power fixed scopes is they look a little grey at dusk where a variable can be dialed down to brighten it up. Most people really like the 10x Super Sniper the best of the three powers and it is by far the brightest. 

A 12 pound .260 Rem  probably has about the same kick as a 22 mag that is a heavy rifle so it really does not look like it is set up for hunting - sounds to me like a bench rest gun so the more power the better as it is unlikely you will be using it in low light you might eaven go with the 20x Super Sniper, I had one then traded it on something else, now I wish I had it back, so its time to buy another one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
alphapygmy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapygmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 10:49
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm trying to stay with a variable power scope because it's not a bench rifle but more of a beanfield rifle. 12 pounds is the max weight limit, right now it's just under 10 pounds with out rings and scope but the base is already on. Was leaning towards the 4200 until I saw the 1/8 clicks, also looking at the 30mm tube 6-24 4200 but don't care for the mildot reticle. I think I'll get out my rubber archery practice deer and see what it looks like at 50 yds with 10X and see if a SS will work. It may be there is no pleasing me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic