OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Killed another scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killed another scope
    Posted: May/27/2008 at 18:56
Well I have given up on the Redfield scope mounted on my Gamo Hunter. This rifle has killed 3 scopes over the past 8 years. The Redfield has lasted 5 years. Need something with AO down to 20 yds for clearing Snakes and Turtles from the pond. The Redfield is starting to shoot 4-6 clicks higher after every shot. What should be my next victim for the scope killer? My grandson did get 3 snakes Monday. I had to finish one off with the Chainsaw on a stick cause he got up the tree next to the pond. That 5'3"er had 6 perch and 2 bass in it.Chainsaw
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 21:22
 Any airgun of mine that killed three scopes would go into the pond with the snakes, and be replaced with a good .22 rimfire shooting Colibris or whatever the quiet ammo is.

You didn't happen to video that Oklahoma Chainsaw Massacre, did you? I would actually pay a few dollars to see that, and not because I love chainsaws...
 What was it, a cottonmouth?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 21:43
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Any airgun of mine that killed three scopes would go into the pond with the snakes, and be replaced with a good .22 rimfire shooting Colibris or whatever the quiet ammo is.

You didn't happen to video that Oklahoma Chainsaw Massacre, did you? I would actually pay a few dollars to see that, and not because I love chainsaws...

Excellent

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 21:59

that snake deserves a Bassmaster membership

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 22:09
5 ft snakes need bigger guns.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 10:17
Try a Leupold. They are guaranteed to hold up to any spring gun. You could also go with a fixed power scope.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 13:00
The funnest part was when my daughter kicked at the head of the snake and it stuck on the toe of her shoe. She was jumping up and down on one leg while shaking the foot with the snake head attached. I rolled on the ground and cried. Roll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingShe is 35 years old and should know better. I will take a camera on the next trip.  Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready 
    As far as the scopes on the air rifle it has been my fault. I should spend more than $29.00.  Tahqua, Leupold may be a good idea. If only to to test the warranty.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 14:22
3_tens, I'm with RONK on this one.  Had a GAMO as well that I just couldn't scope.  Now using a Lakefield-Mossberg bolt 22 with CCI short sub-sonics.  Just as quiet as the air rifle but with a little more authority.  Works great on skunks & coons at short range (710 fps, 29 grain)
God save the Empire!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:09
If the neighbors complain it is a lot easier to get off with an air rifle than if using a .22. With a .22 if they make a case out of it it is a firearms violation. Thats too risky for me. I live in a subdivision, If I was farther out in the country it would be different. I have been looking into the Airforce Talon. Uses a tank and no spring and more accurate. Then the grandson can have the GAMO. They live farther out. 

I feel that my .17 HMR would be safer because of less ricochet potential and more accuracy. The HMR seems to vaporize on impact

Edited by 3_tens - May/28/2008 at 17:22

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:25

Well done, Sir!   Excellent
Bow
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 18:22
I hear ya 3_tens.  I have neighbours too. Not kidding when I say how quiet those CB caps are but I don't blame you.  Don't need any hassles with Mr Law. 
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 20:13
I have used both a 6x42 AO Leo and a 2-7 Leo on springers with no problems at all. Leupold sent me a reply regarding spring guns and their scopes. They said all Leupold scopes can handle spring gun recoil.
I have the same problem in my area regarding sub-sonic .22 ammo. It is very quiet but not worth the legal trouble.

Edited by tahqua - May/28/2008 at 20:15
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

The funnest part was when my daughter kicked at the head of the snake and it stuck on the toe of her shoe. She was jumping up and down on one leg while shaking the foot with the snake head attached.  
And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: / And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Kinda makes sense now, huh? 
xposo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xposo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 11:14
This scope will survive on your Gamo, I know because I have this same scope on my
gas rammed HW80, and it's a harder recoiling gun. I have well over 3000 shots throught it
with the Air Max and no adjustments yet.
Take a look, you'd be surprised.

Ian
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 23:43
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

I hear ya 3_tens.  I have neighbours too. Not kidding when I say how quiet those CB caps are but I don't blame you.  Don't need any hassles with Mr Law. 
I love the CB caps but they seem to ricochet more than a pellet. Any way the 20 lb trigger on the gamo teaches trigger control. Maybe not 20 but its up there.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 23:43

[QUOTE=

Kinda makes sense now, huh? 
 Yes. I can see the light.  Unless she ever finds out that I recantd this story on this forum. Then it will be lights out.

And to xposed That scope is the same price as the leupold and I trust the reputation of Leupold much more than a new manufacturer. The cheapo redfield lasted well over 3000 shots. It did well for a $29.00 scope.

Edited by 3_tens - May/30/2008 at 23:44

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 15:19
Several Bushnell scopes are airgun rated.  I am pretty sure Elite scopes are.  Of the less expensive scopes, I think Trophy was designed as an airgun scope.  You could give that a shot.

ILya
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 14:28
I had a Banner off of a .22 that I am trying.

714124 Bushnell%204-12x40%20Banner%20Dusk%20&%20Dawn%20Air%20Gun%20Scope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Bushnell 4-12x40 Banner Dusk & Dawn Air Gun Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Adult Break-Barrel Air Guns and Long-Range Centerfire Compatible
SWFA: $89.95

Model 70 Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 16:37
Centerforce scopes will stand up to any .177 to .25 caliber airgun.  I purchased one, the one below, and had it on a Gamo for a year, then moved it to an RWS Diana 48.  It has held up very well .
CenterPoint Adventure Class 3-9x40mm Red/Green dual illuminated rifle scope
Who needs a sig?
Model 70 Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 16:40
I think I just made a mistake here.  Did not mean to make a link out of that, just cut and pasted a picture.  Apologies if I broke a rule on that one.
Who needs a sig?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic