OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Are Zeiss Conquest better than Kahles, Meopta?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bang_off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Zeiss Conquest better than Kahles, Meopta?
    Posted: May/26/2008 at 23:35
Hi all,

well a significant birthday is rapidly approaching and to lessen the sorrow I think I'll get a pair of nice binos. I think I've narrowed it down to:

Kahles 10x42
Zeiss Conquest 10x40
Meopta 10x42

Main use is hunting with low light performance being quite important. Also need to be able to sit and glass an area for a long while druing the day.

I'm guessing these three would be the same regarding robustness and general build quality. Apart from which ones have the right feel and fit my face, the lenses being the main thing to separate them.

Am I right in the assumption that the Zeiss would be the best optically?

I am leaning towards the Kahles only because I have a Kahles scope.

Any comments much appreciated. Smile

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 07:04
Welcome, bang_off!

Actually, I think the Meopta 10X42 is the best of the three.

The Zeiss Conquest is a nice binocular, but it isn't in the same league as Zeiss' top end Victory FL binocular, so it's a mistake to assume just because it has the Zeiss brand name that it would be the best of those.

I have a Kahles 10X42, and while it's a good binocular, it isn't in the same league optically as the Meopta Meostar.  It has pronounced flare when looking toward bright light sources and it has too much chromatic aberration in comparison to the better binoculars in my collection.  It also has a considerably narrow field of view than the Meopta.  The only area where I think the Meopta is inferior to the other two is in weight, as it's the heaviest of the bunch.

I would have to do a side by side comparison to verify, but as best I recall, the Conquest and Kahles are roughly equivalent optically.  The Conquest may even be a little better than the Kahles.

I'm a huge fan of Kahles scopes, but I'm not all that impressed with their binoculars, given some of the excellent competing binoculars available in its price range like the Meopta Meostar, Minox HG, and Vortex Razor.  They are certainly good binoculars, just not as good as those particular bins, IMHO.

Edited by RifleDude - May/27/2008 at 07:05
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 16:59
I'll go along with everything that Ted said, whats funny to me is that the kahles & conquest scopes are a fantastic deal, while their binos are only "fair" in their price range. At the same time the Meopta binos are a "stand out" while their scopes are just a tad off of the best in the same range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 13:32
I have to agree with RifleDude.  I had a pair of Kahles 8x42 and at the time they were the best binoculars that I had ever owned til that time.  I replaced them with Swarovski SLC the new version.  I really liked both the Meopta and Vortex Razor in their price range and they are very very good optically.  If they had of been available when I bought the Kahles I might had chosen one of those.  I chose the Swarovski for their warrenty and service center.  You want go wrong with either Meopta or Vortex Razor.  I would look at both of them through your eyes and see how they feel in your hands.  Different binoculars look and feel different to different people.  From what I've heard it sounds like Vortex has a better customer service department and a quicker turn around if you have a problem over the Meopta.  Thats just what I have heard from member of the board here over the past two years.  Good luck.
Birdhunter
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 20:08
The Vortex Razor and Meopta Meostar are very comparable optically.  I have the Razor 8X42, and without a doubt it is one of the best roof prism bins you can buy for the price.  Between it and the Meostar, I would personally select the Razor because it is lighter, a little less expensive, has wider eyecup adjustment range, it seems to be more color neutral, I like the diopter adjustment better, and it has superior warranty coverage.  However, between these two, I would advise anyone to choose based on which they preferred ergonomically, because both are superb, right on the heels of the alpha class roof prism binoculars optically for considerably less money.  This isn't just my opinion either; every review I've ever read of these two bins agree that they offer image quality closely approaching the best roofs you can buy.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bang_off View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bang_off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 05:56
hmmm...thanks for all the info.Big%20Smile

I'll try and get my hands on some Razors and see how they go.

At this stage the Meoptas have pulled into the lead. I had a good look through some Kahles and was suitably impressed, but the Meopta's feel and fit may pip them. Need to go back and have another look through them.Whacko
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:24
you mentioned two things:

'lowlight' and 'for a long while' - i would get 8 power if i were you - they are much easier on the eyes for extended viewing & the bigger exit pupil (diameter of light) will make you a believer in the lowlight. vortex or zeiss would be my pick. 

- a belated welcome to the OT.

J
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 13:40
I have some Meopta 10-42s and I really really like them.  I went into the store with $1600 intending on buying much more expensive bino's but after I tried them all I could not see a big enough difference to spend any more money than what the Meopta's offered.  I think they are fantastic.

That being said, I recently tested the Votex razor 8-42s for two weeks.  I used both of them at a precision rifle class in a spotter roll and spent a lot of time with them at home comparing the two.  Optically I could not tell any difference.  The Razors seemed to have a bit more depth but that is to be expect from the lower power.  The Razors were a lot taller than the Meopta and I did not like that, I like the compactness of the Meopta better.  The Meopta weighed just a bit more but with the shoulder type harness I could tell no noticeable differnce.   But if you are carrying the around your neck you may notice it.  The Razor's eye cups are fantastic, much better that the Meopta.  However I have heard Meopta is going to be putting better eye cups on them soon.  The eye cups on the Meopta's do not extend far enough to give you the proper eye relief while still holding them tight against your face.  The Razors are much better in that regard.  I also personally like the feel of the Meopta in my hand a little better. 

As the others have said optically either one of those two bino's will serve you well.  You just need to decide what of the little things they offer or don't offer appeal to you most.

I had a problem with a Meopta rifle scope and sent it back and had a brand new scope in my hands in about 8 days.  So my experience with Meopta customer service is great.  And I only hear excellent reviews of Vortex.  Either one you can't go wrong with.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 07:34
I haven't owned any of these, but I have compared them.... my vote is for Meopta for some of the reasons mentioned above.
Light bino's are nice, but fragile is not. At this point if I had to regain some cash and trade in my Swarovski EL's, I would go with Meopta as I think they are the closest of the three to what I have for far less money.

Remember great and "really" great is hard to perceive.... Have you priced High definition flat screens lately?.... 720 Lines of resolution is not as good as 1080... but its hard to tell the difference to so many that the 720 seem to sell the most.... however getting that "real as life" look comes more with the 1080 lines of resolution..... without changing the subject, these high end binos resemble that comparison to me... all of them look really good... but unless you look at an eyechart, stabilize your bino with a stand, and try varying scenarios of viewing, its going to be tough to note differences.
And the differences I noted when doing those very things were edge clarity, and subtile brightness differences when peering into the darkness...... dead center clarity will be sharp on them all and I could only see differences there if I didn't breathe and focused my attention to the 20/13 line of the eyechart at 40 yards.

The bottom line will be what feels best to you when you use them..... True Zeiss could not be touched once upon a time.. along with Leica and a few other "untouchables", but as the technology has gotten spread around, its now cheaper and the "best of the best" is not a whole lot different than just "the best"......IMO, you picked a good choice.

Edited by windstrings - June/11/2008 at 07:39
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:23
Just for educational purposes where are the Vortex binoculars made?  I have handled Kahles and the Conquest I think both are pretty comparable.  One to throw into the mix (because optics can be fun Big%20Grin)  I was pretty impressed for the price is the Minox HG any of the experts out there that have looked through them and the others I would love to hear how they stacked up perhaps on a side by side comparison.?????

Of the ones you mentioned I think the Meopta are the best, but they are heavy on the other hand heavy is fine for me with a nice harness to carry them around. 

I sometimes suggest Khales to people because they are still a nice binocular and with the sample list here for the price they can be a great buy. 

Happy Shoot'n
AC
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 13:06
Originally posted by Acenturian Acenturian wrote:

Just for educational purposes where are the Vortex binoculars made? 

Their high end bins like the Razor, Viper, and the Stokes series are made in Japan.  Some of their lower end bins are made in China. 
Ted

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 14:29

Thanks!!!!Big%20Smile  Nothing wrong with Japan's optics.  I LOVE my Swift Audubons = AWSOME!!! 

Thanks Dude!!
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2008 at 20:17
I have the 10x40 Conquest and have no major problem with the optics. Bit of CA, but it does not bother me. Bit heavy at 29 0z, I mostly use a 8x32 pair these days and a scope.

They are a rugged pair though, well built to last a long time. Eye cup comfort is a bit poor.

All the Vortex are made in China, Conquest in Hungary.

Edited by Tero - June/30/2008 at 20:18
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 17:57
I am seriously thinking of trading in the Zeiss. The 29 oz weight is the issue. I want 22-25 oz.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 18:12
Originally posted by Tero Tero wrote:

All the Vortex are made in China...

That's incorrect.  The lower end Vortex bins are made in China, but their high end bins --Razor, Viper, and Stokes series -- are made in Japan.  I own a Razor, and recently tested the Viper.  They have "made in Japan" printed on them.
Ted

Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 20:31
Oh the Viper too. I was unsure of the Razor. Not a big issue for me. I do not care who makes mine as long as no child labor is used.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 19:19
Rifle dude, How would you compare the Razor with the Viper?  Which did you have to compare?
bang_off View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bang_off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 19:39
Another question if I may, what harness are you guys with the Meoptas using?

Is there one that's better than all the others? The Vortex one looks pretty good.

TIA
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 10:59
Originally posted by SChunter SChunter wrote:

Rifle dude, How would you compare the Razor with the Viper?  Which did you have to compare?

Even though you took part in this discussion, if anyone else is wondering the same, here are my brief thoughts on that comparison...
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic