OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rifle help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 22:18
if your looking for accuracy and precision each rifle upper must be treated as a seperate gun, swithching reloads between them, would be luck if both shot the same loads to the degree they are capable. I use a 16 inch RRA upper with 1/8 twist upper , rra uses wilson barrels by the way the same as cooper, and it hangs with 69, 72 grs, but the 1/9 bushmaster 24 inch likes 55 gr, sierra hpbt.  (ES 11 fps) around 3200 fps. also the shorter varmit  barrels will never get the velocity up on the lighter bullets which makes mmore sense to use  the heavier. the tactical bolt in a 1/9 would give a lot of play room with 69 grs, for inexpensive long range practice,  give some thought to a 223 AI with a fast twist. and 75 gr Vmax.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 13:15
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Cheap!!!!!!!!.....................Since the selections for the lefties is bad and since you will take a right handed bolt, how about a Howa M1500 stainless with the Hogue stock? Available in 204 Ruger, 223 Rem., 22-250 and the 243 Win. For a target rifle and some varmits here and there, that should do the trick just fine and it won`t cost as much as many others. Great accuracy from the box with Howas.................The 20" Howa M1500 Ranchland compacts (aka. Squeezer Specials) Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin are great little compacts, but no stainless!!.......... 

This would have been my vote for affordable. Sure its not a Coop, but not in the same price class either. My SUB-MOA Vanguard (aka Howa) routinely goes to 5/8" with factory rounds. Not one hole, but probably about as well as I can shoot sitting in a truck box, shooting off a pod. How does the .220 swift stack up on the cool meter? I was looking for something like this for an accurate varmint gun, but know very little about the caliber itself. Opinions from Swift owners?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 13:33
Thank you for your help, Gentlemen.
You guys always deliver!!

The varmint style AR upper intrigues me. It would fill most, if not all my criteria in one fell swoop.  

Any other recommendations on manufacturers beside Rock River?
I'm thinking a 20" stainless barrel would be just about right.

Good point about treating each upper as a different gun, Dale.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 13:47
I think RRA is going to have the best barrels.  I have only heard good things about the Wilson barrels they are using.  And the 1-8 twist is superb for longer range shooting with heavier bullets while still allowing you to shoot 55 and 60 grainers.

I could see the advantage to having the ejection port on the left side for you though.  Having the hot gasses blow back in your face could be a pain.  You could always buy just a stripped upper from Stag and then put a Wilson barrel from RRA on it and have the best of both worlds.  Might cost you a bit more but could save you getting blasted in the face.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 14:20
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Thank you for your help, Gentlemen.
You guys always deliver!!

The varmint style AR upper intrigues me. It would fill most, if not all my criteria in one fell swoop.  

I'm thinking a 20" stainless barrel would be just about right.

Good point about treating each upper as a different gun, Dale.
........A 20" TUBE???????..........A "Squeezer Special?"YippeeYippeeYippeeBuckyBuckyBucky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 14:36
I did in fact go to a high end gun shop in Charlotte today and got a chance to pick up the Remington SPS Tactical.
I liked it!!
The rifle handled well and the Hogue Overmolded stock was pretty cool.
Appears to shoot pretty well in a rifle review over @ Sniper Central too.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 14:46
Cheap,
how did you like the X mark trigger in the sps tac?
 All the ones i have handled have tons of over travel and feel like they have a pound of sand in them. After some polishing they become nice but still can't get all the over travel out.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 14:51
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Cheap,
how did you like the X mark trigger in the sps tac?
 All the ones i have handled have tons of over travel and feel like they have a pound of sand in them. After some polishing they become nice but still can't get all the over travel out.

Didn't get to try it, Brother. I have yet to try one at all, but the guys in my area don't care for them and went aftermarket jobs after trying in vain to get them "right".  
The rifle I looked at today was "neutered" with a trigger guard. 
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 14:52

10-4

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 15:01

This would have been my vote for affordable. Sure its not a Coop, but not in the same price class either. My SUB-MOA Vanguard (aka Howa) routinely goes to 5/8" with factory rounds. Not one hole, but probably about as well as I can shoot sitting in a truck box, shooting off a pod. How does the .220 swift stack up on the cool meter? I was looking for something like this for an accurate varmint gun, but know very little about the caliber itself. Opinions from Swift owners?
[/QUOTE]
I have a .220 Swift Remington ETRONX.  Without a doubt , most accurate "out of the box" rifle I have ever placed my hands on.   Of course, the ETRONX has a lot to do with that, but the Swift is impressive.  Gets attention at the Range whenever I shoot it.  It has performed sub-MOA all the way out to 500yd (ON A VERY STILL DAY, virtually no wind, once), and in most instances less than 1/2 MOA (200-300yd).  At 100 yd, 3/8 inch and under, consistently.  The ETRONX is reloadable, but I just use the factory stuff.  And, I have been mostly using what virtually everyone here would call the worst scope on earth...NcStar 10-40.  Impressed the heck out of me when I dropped a hog faster than with the 30-06 I had been using...same entry point.  I started to not even take it hunting, glad I did.  Out to about 300yds, I don't think there is much I would not take on with it, up to deer size.  The Etronx is just a composite, not as pretty as some of the suggestions, but performs.  .220 is a great cartridge for almost any varmint.  Raccoons and crows are too easy for it.  It is going with me on a hog hunt in Texas next 1st weekend in June (as a supplement to the .458 Lott). 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 21:15

John Holliger is very well known among Hi-Power competitors for his Service rifles and Match rifles, but he also builds varminters.  Check out his lefty conversions in the match rifle portion of his webpage.
  His customers speak VERY highly of his work and his customer service.

Edited by RONK - May/28/2008 at 21:43

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 14:25
Ah heck...I don't know what to do now.

I might just hitch 'em up and tell The Warden I'm getting a new bolt gun AND and a new AR upper......Yep,%20Thought%20So  
Hell yeah!!
(I feel so empowered today for some reason.) Yippee

Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 15:42

I might just hitch 'em up and tell The Warden I'm getting a new bolt gun AND and a new AR upper......Yep,%20Thought%20So  
Hell yeah!!

(I feel so empowered today for some reason.)

Better do it quick while you feel inspired ;)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 18:17
you know mark if you didnt shoot "goofy" your life would be so much easier
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 19:11
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I prefer the term "special", Sir. Bucky

Well the LH precision AR deal sounds REALLY practical, would solve a myriad of problems and would simplify my life, but I'm more of a bolt gun guy.

Thanks for all the help, fellas!!
I've got some time to think about it before I "pull the trigger on this deal".  Big%20Smile 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 20:47
 In the lunchroom at work today, I happened across a recent Guns and Ammo magazine that had a great article about Stag ARs. History of the company, etc.
 They were shooting around a half-minute with several different factory loads right out of the box.   I didn't have time to read the entire article, but it looked really good!
 You need to trade your AR in toward a Stag, AND get a dream boltgun, too!

And you should trade in all your Glocks for a Springfield XD-(M), too!    Devil
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 22:13

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I prefer the term "special", Sir. Bucky

Well the LH precision AR deal sounds REALLY practical, would solve a myriad of problems and would simplify my life, but I'm more of a bolt gun guy.

Thanks for all the help, fellas!!
I've got some time to think about it before I "pull the trigger on this deal".  Big%20Smile 

look at you, you have a sock puppet, more like "special needs"
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CatfishSteve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatfishSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 01:58
If you can find a swedish m96 in excellent condition they're deadly up to 300 yards and beyond.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 07:40
While you're at it Mark better make sure you hitch them up real tight so won't hurt so much when the Warden dials down your feelings of empowerment.

p.s.  if you do get away with this you will have to let me know your secrets. 
God save the Empire!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 08:36
in regards to swift, had a 77 hb, rem. varmit, but kept a current custom sako. while an interesting cartridge it is way over bore. the 4000 fps are doable with bullet wts. in the 40 gr range but so is the 204 with lighter bullets. also any good 22-250 in 1/14 twist with a 26 barrel will dup the ballistics, and in the case of the 22-250 AI it will exceed it. short barrel life, barrel heats too rapidly. one good solutin would be a tighter twist rate for 75, through 90 gr bullets-- but then just get a 6mm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic