OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rifle help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rifle help...
    Posted: May/26/2008 at 17:18
Group:
Wanting to get a new rifle this year and would welcome The Hives opinions on rifle/caliber.

- LEFT HANDED bolt action center fire rifle primarily for target use, with an occasional varmint shoot or two.  
- Economical to shoot. (I realize that "economical" is a subjective term these days. Whacko
- Inherently accurate caliber. Wink 
- Low recoil.
- Effective range out to 300 yards or so on varmints to   include coyotes.  
- Decent barrel/throat life.
- Would like wood stock and stainless barrel this time, but will settle for synthetic. 
- Must be made by Remington!! Soap%20Box
  (Just kidding.) Wink

Probably left out a few things, but thanks in advance for your help.
I'm seriously just looking for a rifle I can drag down to the range (300 yards) and shoot groups with and maybe the coyote that hangs around my place.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 17:36
Anybody have any lefty mini-mauser or there abouts?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 18:00
 Savage model 12 low profile in 223 or 204 ruger.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 18:16
Remington makes a south paw varmint in 223. Not in wood/stainless though. No doubt the 223 is the way to go for accuracy, barrel life, economy, low recoil and your range requirements.

Roy

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 18:41
Thank you, Gents!

If I go with the .223 I can reload for my AR too. Probably the right move.

This rifle looks interesting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by OLRVRAT OLRVRAT wrote:

Savage model 12 low profile in 223 or 204 ruger.

I saw that on Savages website. That's a nice rifle!!
Thank you.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 19:16
Hello CT ! - I would seriously consider a lefty TIKKA. The prices are right, and , they are inherently accurate. .223, .204, or 22-250.Wink
Derek

I've never seen a TIKKA lose any of it's value, either.

Edited by HuntMaster - May/26/2008 at 19:17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 19:31
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Hello CT ! - I would seriously consider a lefty TIKKA. The prices are right, and , they are inherently accurate. .223, .204, or 22-250.Wink
Derek

I've never seen a TIKKA lose any of it's value, either.

Thinking
I didn't think about them. All the ones I've seen shoot REALLY nice too. Thank you, Sir!  

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 19:34
Mark, if you'd just lose that pesky LEFT HANDED requirement, I'd have several good suggestions for you!  Wink

Seriously, though, I like the suggestions made so far, and I also like the M700 VSF you were considering.  For a super accurate varmint rifle chambering that's readily available in a factory left hand rifle (you sure narrow down the choices with your criteria, there, buddy!Wink), I think .223 is a very sensible choice, especially if you plan to shoot it a lot!  It's generally accurate, brass is readily available, you already feed your AR with it, and it performs very well on varmints within your stated range.

What is your max budget limit?  Keep in mind that Cooper makes very fine LH wood stocked heavy barreled varmint rifles with stainless barrel/blued action.  Their M21 is available in .223, as well as .204 and the triple deuce.  Get either the Varminter or Varmint Extreme model.  As a whole, you can't buy a more accurate rifle than a Cooper without going the full custom route, and as a bonus, they are usually very beautiful!  They aren't inexpensive, but then again, they aren't really that expensive when you take into account what you get for your money.

I have a M21 Varminter in 6PPC and a M21 Varmint Extreme in .223.  If you'd like, I can post pics of one or both.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 19:42
I "may" fore go the left handed requirement and check out a short barreled (20") unit in .223. Maybe a Rem. LTR would suffice.

The Coops are indeed beautiful, Ted.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 19:59
im not a fan of .223 so i will submit the .204 ruger choice, i myself prefer the 22-250 for varminting but im probably a dying breed anymore, the .243 isnt to far off from the 22-250 in my book, as far as a rifle goes good luck mark, lefty selection sucks as usual.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:02
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I "may" fore go the left handed requirement...

yeah doesn't it stink being left-handed and looking for a rifle?

i'm a lefty too, and i gave up the left-handed requirement - the options are just too limited :(

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:12
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

im not a fan of .223 so i will submit the .204 ruger choice.

Why not, pray tell?  What's not to like about it?  It's easy on barrels, it's almost always very accurate, brass is readily available, it has reasonable velocity for medium range varminting, and it's inexpensive to shoot if you shoot a LOT, as I do.

I love .204 too, and it meets all of Mark's requirements, except it isn't available in as wide a selection of rifles.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:16
the .223 uses those damn small rifle primers which bug the hell out of me to reload, course if i owned a .223 i probably would take the time to reload it, now i realize that the .204 uses a small primer as well so thats a moot point, i think the .204 is just a few points higher on the cool scale than the .223
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:24
Face it; it's all because it's a popular round -- the same reason you don't like the .308, despite the fact it's one of the most accurate hunting rounds ever invented... right, Hunter?
Wink
Neither has sexy numbers on a ballistics table, if that means anything at all, but both are superbly accurate, easy to load for, have great bullet selection, are chambered in many rifles, are very effective for their intended uses, and are inexpensive to shoot.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:29
i wont argue the facts, cause they are certainly undeniable, but in my small little world they are certainly not cool rounds, now i will say that every other round based on the .308 case smaller than .308 diam is very cool, to me the 7-08 is the ultimate performance level in the .308 case, eventhough i know that the .308 is very capable of taking a lot of game any where on earth, i find many other choices in the .308 diam family to be a lot more attractive to my eye.as far as the .223 goes i wouldnt ever own one, a lot like a .270, in fact i would probably buy a .270 before a ever bought a .223, mainly because i have an affection for the .22-250 and yes i know its a lot harder on barrels but thats ok, i will sacrifice a little barrel life for a bigger case with a standard sized primer and a hair more performance with my favorite 55gr bullets.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:43
The .204 has similar performance to the .22-250 yet uses less powder in the process and is easier on barrels.  Of course, it uses the small rifle primer, but it will usually far outshoot the .22-250 in a good rifle.  The .223 is usually more accurate than the .22-250 as well.  .22-250 is a great varmint round, but now that I have a .204, I don't see a need for one.  The .204 is really high on the "cool" factor.

You really should own at least 1 .223, though.  There's something to be said for a rifle you can shoot a LOT, and do so very inexpensively and accurately.  It is an excellent predator round.  There's no coyote alive that will know the difference between being shot with a .223 and .22-250 at any distance you have any business shooting at one.
Ted

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:45
Cheap!!!!!!!!.....................Since the selections for the lefties is bad and since you will take a right handed bolt, how about a Howa M1500 stainless with the Hogue stock? Available in 204 Ruger, 223 Rem., 22-250 and the 243 Win. For a target rifle and some varmits here and there, that should do the trick just fine and it won`t cost as much as many others. Great accuracy from the box with Howas.................The 20" Howa M1500 Ranchland compacts (aka. Squeezer Specials) Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin are great little compacts, but no stainless!!.......... 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:53
hmm .204 or .243 good stuff squeezer!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 20:54
Lefty loosie... Righty Tighty...

Well... if your going to come over to the other side...  I'd look at the C-Z 527 mini action or the new Stevens (25?) in a .223.  Compact for carrying for wylie and as cheap to shoot as you are going to get in a centerfire. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic