OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 vs Aetec 4-14X44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 12:17

Thanks, Dolphin.

I knew you meant inch pounds, and everyone else did, too. We all make typos.  Besides, 25  foot pounds would have literally ripped the scope from the receiver.

It's interesting that you're shooting a Howa in 300 Win Mag. Like the Buckmaster, the Howa is one of the best kept secrets in shooting. Some shooters sneer at them because of the Japanese name. The same folks probably sneered at Japanese scopes, too. I personally experienced an incident in which a guy behind a gun counter at a well known sporting goods chain store told me that the Howa was second rate. When I asked about the Vanguard in order to see what he would say, he proclaimed it to be a great gun with guaranteed accuracy. Duh. His gun knowledge was a mile wide, but only an inch deep.

I gave a stainless Howa 1500 .270 Win to my son Christmas before last. Our first Howa. I mounted his scope and took it to the range. Cheapo Federal Power Shok 130gr ammo at 100 yards was producing 3 shot groups that I could usually cover with a nickel, and 5 shot groups about the size of a quarter. I went back to competitor that evening and bought another gun like my son's. It even has a consecutive serial number. BTW, one gun has a 3-9X40 Buckmaster and the other carries the 4.5-14X40.

It does appear that you know your guns, as well as scopes.

Yes, the Aetec is yet another scope that has fallen from a loftier position. If I should try one, I'll report on what I experience. I'll also buy it knowing that I might have to sell it on eBay. No big deal. I've done this before with both scopes and guns. It usually leads to failure, but I've had some pleasant surprises, too. After all, NOBODY suggested that I try a Howa. On the other hand, I may simply buy another Buckmaster for my ancient 700, and leave the experimentation to someone else.

Thanks for the update. I haven't seen a thread with so many quality and germane responses in a long time. I got lucky.

PS - My next rifle purchase will be a 300 Win Mag. Top contender: Howa.

--
Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 12:44
Thanks.  I have several Howas and Vanguards and they all shoot as well if not better than most rifles that I own.  The one that I posted in New Rig has not been shot yet, but the metal to laminate stock finish is impeccable.  I have several custom rifles, some that I did myself and it is a well done as they are, if not better.  As far as I am concerned, lets keep them a secret, so that they have a little cache when out with others who know nothing about them.  Thats funny that the guy did not even know Howa made the Vanguard with minor differences.  You know, the more I go into gun shops the more I find how little they know about the products they sell.
Dallas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 03:04
Yes, the number of different stocks that Legacy has mated to Howa barreled actions exceeds that of any other two gun companies combined.

The store where the "expert" educated me carries the Vanguard w/wood stocks, and the Howa youth model scoped combos. He actually handled both of the guns on a regular basis and hadn't figured it out. Double duh. He placed both guns on the counter for a comparison after I told him who makes Vanguards. He didn't even know that the Vanguard is made in Japan. No one behind the counter knew about the Browning A-Bolt & Miroku, either. They thought all A-Bolt s were still made in Belgium. Go figure.

I've put together quite a few custom rigs, myself. In fact, I have one in the works at this time. Well, I've actually had it in the works off and on for about six months.

BTW - I recently changed my forum picture from a Ruger to a boar. That very boar (approx. 400#) whose head I use for my photo was stalked and shot at approx. 80 yds. by my 19 yr. old son with his .270 Win Howa on March 2nd. He could have used a 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, or 30-06. He used the Howa with its marginal cartridge (for large boar) because it gives him confidence. I truly believe that this confidence helped him put a single round through the boar's heart while it was moving. Someday I'll write about the epic battle between my son and his mother about where the stuffed boar head will reside when returned from the taxidermist.

OK. I won't tell anyone about Howas if you don't. I'm sure my son will keep quiet, too.

Good hunting, good fishing, or whatever makes you happy.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 07:05
You to Dallas.  Just one more note.  I was at work and one of the techs saw the picture of your boar and was totally grossed out.  She did not know what it was and I had to explain it to her.  Too much fun.  You and your son, as well as your family take care.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 08:46
yes, that boar looks like Big Squeeze...................Stare
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 12:10
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

yes, that boar looks like Big Squeeze...................Stare
.... .....Mr. Ed`s head!Laser%20ZapSqueezer`s up-coming practice session with a NEW HOWA M1500; .375 Ruger!!.............Stay tuned!..................Laugh
Dallas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 17:16

We've been telling the uninitiated that the boar is actually a werewolf -"an animal brought over from eastern Europe for sport. Some now roam free, and they'll tear ya to pieces. No, they don't have supernatural powers. That stuff is just folklore. But, werewolves are real animals. After all, what does that animal look like, with its long pointy nose and those huge teeth? " Of course, none of the dupes have been men.

Our little story is proof that a rifle is a metal tube with a wooden handle that has a target on one end and a liar on the other! So, if another tech asks about it ............

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 09:53

Great idea.Excellent

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 11:47

Shocked  Werewolves and Big Squeeze in
                                                                            the same thread!!!!    
Dallas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 14:46
The bearded guy is my college student athlete with his Howa, which wore a Leupy at that time. It was his mom who observed that the beast looks like a werewolf. For reasons the boy can't fathom, she doesn't seem to want the head placed above her piano in the living room. Pretty unreasonable, huh?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 15:48
Seems unreasonable to me.  I think my wife would side with her for unknown reasons.  Women are like that.  Dallas, its good to have you on the OT.  I think you are going to fit in just fine.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 17:32
"Si, we are going to hang him by hees carambas from thees leetle tree over here........"                       Bandito

Hung
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic