OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedMagnification changes zero.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnification changes zero.
    Posted: December/10/2004 at 16:43
     I had a scope on my rifle and I had it sighted in on a set power. I noticed that when I would turn up the magnification that the point of impact would seem to rise. I was wondering if this is normal or should the impact point remain the same. If this is not normal then why would that happen? I know all riflescopes are not the same quality but arent they all basically designed the same.
uaw003 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 17:25
It seems you have a low quality scope. Return it and buy a Nikon.
uaw003
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 21:27
a scope with a reticle in the 1st focal plane cant shift when the power shifts even more reliable than nikon
uaw003 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 21:32
I hardly think that his scope is more reliable than ANY nikon. Are you serious?

Remember, you get what you pay for.
uaw003
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 06:26
nikon's make great scopes but you want a list of more reliable than nikon imo

zeiss
swarovski
schmidt bender
us optics

a reticle in the front/1st focal plane cannot shift POI when the power changes like a rear/2nd focal plane reticle can
based on that alone, the above scopes are at least as and probably more reliable than nikon
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 07:00
     I am confused, you said a 1st focal plane reticle cant shift point of impact like a 2nd focal plane reticle can. Then you said that Zeiss and Swarovski are more reliable than Nikon. I read that Zeiss , Swarovski and even Nikon all have 2nd plane reticles. So apparently the better scopes have 2nd plane reticles not 1st plane reticles.
     Does anyone know the pros and cons of 1st or 2nd plane reticles? It would seem that 2nd plane reticles are the choice of all the higher priced scopes.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 08:11

uaw003, a line from the waterboy, but changed a little... nikon sucks they really really suck, nikon sucks they really really SUCCCCKKKKKKKK...hehe... dont yall just love it when somebody trives about there own stupid brand, and think there nothing better??? around here its leupy, and BTW, peupy is better than nikon

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
uaw003 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:35
Dave, if you want a high quality and dependable scope then you should buy what you like based upon information that comes from many sources. Buy what YOU like and you will be happy. But remember, you get what you pay for.

I pondered between the leupold and the nikon for almost 14 months and that was only after trying to make the case for other scopes first. Pricing was a main factor along with "how many times do you actually use it is a year" vs. the cost of the optics. Well, after narrowing between leupold and nikon, I compared both scopes in very low light conditions. The Nikon Monarch was is superior in clearity and brightness than the leupold that the cost was no longer a factor. The leupold does in fact a a slight yellow shade under these conditions and that is exacttly what you DO NOT WANT.

You can buy what you like but I will tell you one thing, if you already have $400 and you buy a scope, would you later spend an extra $50 for the better scope and BE HAPPY?

Trust me, the Nikon is superior.

Any more questions, feel free to respond and I will email you personally. Just leave your email,

Thanks
uaw003
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:40

yes, which leupold are you comparing the nikon too, becuase the nikon is not clearer than a VXIII, or LPS, theres simply no way, and leupold is made in USA, has the BEST warranty on the market, and it a hell of alot tougher than a nikon. redneckbmxer24@aol.com you can also PM me, or IM me if you have aol, or aim.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:54

Man.  It's funny how so many people are so quick to blame the scope.  I would guess that 95% or more of these problems are due to poor mounting.  Why do you think Burris makes the signature rings with inserts?  Because of the fact that they protect the scope from getting ring marks?  Naw.  That was just an added bonus.  It did two things which are both important in mounting.  1) It self alignes the tube.  Why do you think so many accuracy nuts lap or ream rings and are so careful to shim or bed their bases?  I'll get more into this in a minute.  2) It created much more bearing surface and improved the grip of the rings on the scope, which allowed the scope to stay put under recoil of even the heaviest recoiling rifles.  You are more likely to have screws break than the scope slide in a preperly mounted set of Signature rings.

Here's the problem with poor mounting.  When you turn your power ring, a small internal tube with lens assembly slides back and forth inside the main tube. Unless your scope tube is perfectly straight, when you slide the inner tube along (by changing the power) the inner tube gets torqued to one side or the other of the main tube.  This causes change in POI.  Same goes for the elevation and windage adjustments.  A crooked tube will cause the same problems with elevation and windage adjustements, which will not track right because of various issues associated with that are pretty technical in nature.  One of the first indications there is a problem with your mounting, is what you described, so chekc that first.  Here;s a sure sign:  Turn the power ring back and forth and note the effort required to do so.  Then remove it from the rings and without it clamped down to anything, turn the power ring again.  I'll bet it turns with much less effort.  If so, then mounting was the problem. 

Later!

Edited by Riflman
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 21:18

Dare I comment? Wow. Are your shots occuring as you adjust from low to high power? If this is the case, then as the barrel heats up,  the shots are starting to vertically string from barrel heat. This is a very common problem when working up handloads even with the best of scopes. This is the biggest advantage of pillar bedding, it eliminates this stringing. Try shooting the gun until very hot. Then try your test. A better test is to shoot, move left 8 clicks, shoot, down 8 clicks, shoot right, 8 clicks, up 8 clicks then a 3 shot group to check for dispersion of the groups cone of fire. Generally this test will tell whether you want to keep the scope or not.

Man that eye-ball hole must be at least .75 caliber.

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2004 at 11:44

With all due respect, recneck is going to tell you that Leupold is the best....period.  I do not agree.  I think you're on the right track with the Monarch over the Leupold.  Better scope for less money is hard to argue with.  My Pentax Lightseeker is a much better scope in my opinion than neighbor's Leup VXIII, as is my Conquest, and Burris Signature.

new pig hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2004 at 14:11

see Question # 10 for "wandering zero" .....

http://www.theoutdoorwriter.com/shooting/about_scopes.htm

here's another interesting article...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/stayinglevel/index.asp

Edited by new pig hunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic