OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zoom range vs. magnification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zoom range vs. magnification
    Posted: May/23/2008 at 22:22
This may have been addressed before; however I am a newbie and fairly poor at optical physics.  I have noticed that many scopes offer 4-16 magnification (4 x zoom range) vs. the schimdt and bender 5-25 (5 x zoom range).  Does the total zoom range or full magnification indicate maximum distance of maginification?  I understand that 16x means the image is magnified 16 times ( I think) however, what does a 5 x zoom range mean in terms of magnification of the scope?  I am looking at the 6-24x56 Zeiss or 5-25x56 S@B.  I am asking because the Zeiss has 4 x zoom range and the S @ B has a 5 x zoom range?????  Also would it be worth the extra money for a 76mm objective on the Zeiss, or is this mainly for really dim conditions?

Jeremy
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 22:40
Simply means the amount of magnification range a scope has from bottom to top. A 3-9 would be 3X zoom range, 3-12 would be 4x zoom range etc.....Don't know what you are hunting/shooting, however, a 72mm objective lense looks a little bit silly to me on a hunting rig. Not to mention they weigh about 2 1/2 lbs and require very high rings which can make shooting positions  very awkward. The other side of the coin is you are/will be peering through some of the finest optics ever placed in a riflescope.

Roy

BTW, welcome to the OpticsTalk forum.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 13:06
I find the 56mm is larger than what I really want on a scope I am much happier with a 40 to 50mm objective. The two scopes you mentioned cost a fortune and if you can afford them you are very lucky but for most applications they are way too much scope. I suppose if you did a lot of bench rest shooting they would be nice for that.  If they are for hunting the lower power range is more important than the higher power range. So a 4-16 would be a better hunting/ target rig than a 6-24. Now if the imphysis was more weighted to target then the higher the power the better.  I really would not want to have a 72mm objective but there again it depends on what you are doing with it if you shoot prairie dogs a sundown at 200 to 300  yds a 72mm objective might be ideal.  If you hunt Rinos and Waterbuffalo you would be better off with a 1.5-6x42 so what you do with the scope makes a huge difference in what the right choice is and the wrong choice can cost you your life if dangerous game is in the area.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 14:14
Welcome to Optics Talk....neighbor. Welcome
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 09:03
 I see that sock puppet sneaked in here .... LOL    My grand daughter loves that avatar .  Jeremill .... have you seen a 76mm scope ?  Huge ....  please go look at one first and hold it to a rifle before you order one . You may have already ? I catch the devil for see-thru mounts on here because the scope is elevated .... that bad boy is going to be up there !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 15:32
I have a 65mm mounted on a Voere Titan II 30-06 (beautiful German-made rifle with double set triggers, the "set" trigger is at 8oz). You really have to WANT TO to carry it around. A 76mm is going weigh a bit more. I used the tall Millet Angle-Loc rings on standard steel Weaver bases. It is definitely a handful to carry around, though. I don't mind it, but many do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic