OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DGR scope options...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DGR scope options...
    Posted: May/23/2008 at 13:57
Was wondering what the experience was on here with using variables for a DGR.  The plan is to have my 7mm Rem Mag rebarrelled to 458 Win and take the Kahles 1.5-6x42 off my 375 H&H and put it on the 458.  That would leave me with a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x42 for the 375. 

Would I be better off putting a 1.1-4  or 1.25-4 on the 458 and keep the 1.5-6 on the 375?   Thanks in advance for your input!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 14:26
What are you planning to hunt and in what kind of terrain?
God save the Empire!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

Was wondering what the experience was on here with using variables for a DGR.  The plan is to have my 7mm Rem Mag rebarrelled to 458 Win and take the Kahles 1.5-6x42 off my 375 H&H and put it on the 458.  That would leave me with a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x42 for the 375. 

Would I be better off putting a 1.1-4  or 1.25-4 on the 458 and keep the 1.5-6 on the 375?   Thanks in advance for your input!
..............................To answer your question!....YES and NO!..... Although it can be used, a 1.5-6x42 IMO, is too much variable (on the high end) for a .458.  Also, that 42mm bell on a DGR, does not look as good as a straight tubed scope and it is heavier than a straight tubed scope as well...........Your Swaro 2.5-10x42 can be used on your .375, but again, it is too much scope for a 375 H&H.........A DGR should not only be as light as possible, but more importantly, it should be as quick as possible to acquire the target and fire very quickly, especially for any follow up shots in close quarters! A split second can mean a difference between life, a permanent disability, and death!! Yep! You can use those scopes, but neither one would be my first choice for the H&H or the .458......... On my 20" tubed .375 Ruger, sits a straight tubed 1.5-5x20 Leupy VX3 German #4. It has a great FOV. With both eyes open aiming capable, it is very fast in target acquisition set on the lower powers. And it weighs only 9.5 oz. THAT,,,is a DGR scope. Set on 4x or 5x, you with your H&H and me with my 375 Ruger, can also target the non dangerous big game at the longer ranges using the lighter bullets............
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 19:40
I recently acquired a Ruger #1 .458 Lott. All the "big bore" shooters I spoke with recommended against anything "bigger" than 4x for a scope. I love the open sights, and while I mounted a 4x S&B for a short time, am seriously considering going back to open sights. I have a fiber optic front sight on order and am contemplating a peep rear sight. I have a Pentax 4x on it right now, and it performs well (I called Pentax before mounting it and they assured me the fixed scope line was tested with .458 Lott). No problems so far. The .458 WinMag ammo does not have the "punch at the end" of the Lott (a Lott will shoot both). I find the recoil of the WinMag to "roll" more than the Lott, Lott ammo seems to have a sharper recoil...much bigger ME,though, so that may explain it. Both are equally accurate...very accurate. If you are going to scope it, I suggest a good 4x. I believe you will be happy with the WinMag. I am hunting everything but varmints with the Lott this year. May hunt those with it too. Killed two deer with it last season...awesome killing power. One with WinMag ammo, one with Lott. Wish I had had a rifle cam... a memory I cannot really share with anyone, you had to be there.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 00:06
The disadvantage with the 1,5-6 on the .458 is the weight and the short eyerelief.
The advantage is that it has bigger FOV that leupold VXlll 1,5-5 and the scope is much more versalite and has much better clarity and is usefull even on the late hours if you intend to use the gun then.
But I would probably go for a 1,1-4 instead, or the 1-6 Z6 the increase in FOV is very big.

Technika
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic