OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OK, Cheaptrick..Here is the Range Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK, Cheaptrick..Here is the Range Report
    Posted: May/23/2008 at 13:39

OK All

I built a tactical precision rifle as follows:

Base rifle: .223 Wby Vanguard Varmint Special
Installed Timney Trigger
Installed Bell and Carlson Tactical Stock
Installed EGW Scope Base
Installed IOR Valdada Tactical 6x42 Scope using Burris XTR Low rings

Following are pics of the rifle and target.
This is a target I used to zero the scope, break in bbl.
Ammo is remanufactured Black Hills 60 gn SP
Range: 100 yds
Twist is 1:12

All shots were from Harris bipod with slight wind.

Edited by army_eod - May/23/2008 at 13:41
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 14:20
maybe it's the pic, but is there clearance between the forward rail and the objective?

And, from the group, it looks like you might push the butt forward with your shoulder (assuming righty- by the gun and lack of clarification otherwise.)

Nice setup, I like the 6X on a short- to medium-range rifle.  Too many want too much magnification.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 14:34
Thank you for the pics. Good shooting also.  
How do you like the Burris rings??

You may have said on your other thread, but does that scope have the MP-8 reticle??

I agree with Rancid, good call on the IOR fixed 6x for that rifle.
The Dark Lord would be very proud of you........Wink 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 14:34
It will probably shoot better if you use some lighter bullets.  60 grain bullets will work best with a 1-10" or faster.  Try some 45 grainers and see how they work.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 14:43
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

It will probably shoot better if you use some lighter bullets. 

I thought he walked the group down while zeroing the scope. I see one shot way off to the right and the rest moving down and left.
The last 5 shot "group" being the lowest?? I'm guessing.

Looks decent to me, if that's the case. New barrel and 6x scope at 100 yards, manufactured ammo.
(If nothing else, I gave Brother EOD a good alibi story.) Wink    
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:06
I wasn't saying they were bad, I was just pointing out that a 1-12" twist barrel will prefer light bullets and it will probably shoot better with them
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:15
That target was used to zero.  I made adjustments from the flyer you see to the tight groups as my final zero.

A 1-12 is supposed to shoot up to 62 grainers OK.

I am using 60gn SP because they are the most effective round for this caliber and twist.

I am not the best shot anyway.  I 1/4 inch group ought to be good enough for zombies?

Edited by army_eod - May/23/2008 at 15:18
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I wasn't saying they were bad, I was just pointing out that a 1-12" twist barrel will prefer light bullets and it will probably shoot better with them

I'm sorry for the confusion.

You were right to say what you did and I was merely pointing out IF he was in the process of zeroing his scope and the bottom 5 shots were his last 5 rounds, that rifle may like the heavier stuff.     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:21
Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

That target was used to zero.  I made adjustments from the flyer you see to the tight groups as my final zero.

Hey Tool!!!

Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:25
Nothing personal, I am a "turd in the punchbowl" kinda guy - we all have our burdens to bear.

It's not that the glass is half empty or half full, the glass is simply too big.

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:26
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

maybe it's the pic, but is there clearance between the forward rail and the objective?

And, from the group, it looks like you might push the butt forward with your shoulder (assuming righty- by the gun and lack of clarification otherwise.)

Nice setup, I like the 6X on a short- to medium-range rifle.  Too many want too much magnification.

Rancid

Yes, there is about 1/4 inch clearance.  What are you saying about pushing the stock forward????  Technique??

I am completely self taught.  Coaching would be a good thing.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 16:52
Pro'ly noth'in.

Just remember, as you squeeze the trigger, don't think about anything but:

breath control
wind direction and velocity
pulse control
barometric pressure
"bone-on-bone" support
deep breaths, fully exhale
natural point of aim
don't squeeze too fast
don't squeeze too slow
don't move the reticule as you squeeze
don't muscle the gun
don't rush the shot
don't anticipate the break
don't prepare for the recoil
don't miss

and you should do just fine!

Shooting is easy; hitting the damned target is the tough part.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 17:07
Oh yeah....I am self taught except for the Army Basic Training BRM on the M-16.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 17:32
Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

Oh yeah....I am self taught except for the Army Basic Training BRM on the M-16.

AF guys had better things to do than fool around with dangerous and dirty 'ol guns!!! That stuff was for the "other guys". Big%20Grin

AIR POWER!!
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 17:44
Now that is funny right there. Whacko

Niccolo Machiavelli
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 21:45
 That is an excellent rig, Army EOD!
 Just a suggestion, though.
 Bipods are great for field use. etc. but if you want to achieve the best (smallest) groups on paper from a benchrest position, remove the bipod and shoot from a pedestal-type rest up front and a "rabbit-ear" type rest under the stock behind the pistol grip. You WILL shoot tighter groups than you can from any bipod.  I guarantee it.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 04:15
Good info about using a more steady method for shooting.  Probably a good idea when zeroing the weapon.

However, as I come from the tactical and old school of shooting, I prefer to generally "train as I fight" meaning that I practice shooting in a field/tactical environment since that is my real purpose for shooting.

If I were a benchrest shooter, then I would shoot that method.

Niccolo Machiavelli
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 05:05
just an observation ronk, but on 6mmbr.com, a legendary shooter by the alias froggy, regularly shoots 5 shots into one ragged hole using a harris bi-pod in the prone position! granted he trains his mind and body like a machine and reloads very meticulously.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 11:46
For clarification: shooting from a solid rest on the bench will tell you what the rifle can  do - which is good to know.

If you want field-expedient accuracy, I'd recommend a tactical tripod up front and a bean-bag in the back.  Another option, and my usual favorite for real-world shooting, is to back all your necessities in a good pack and use the pack itself for your rest. 

I did this back when I was in the Corps, and few things are more steady than a a medium ALICE pack, crammed full of the necessities of life (and on the crappy aluminum frame.)

Later I can post a few links to some good "tacticool" gear if you want: better bipod feet, small tactical tripod rests, rear pillows.  Much is in use in Iraq and Afghanistan now, all can be helpful.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 16:23
Originally posted by rooshooter rooshooter wrote:

just an observation ronk, but on 6mmbr.com, a legendary shooter by the alias froggy, regularly shoots 5 shots into one ragged hole using a harris bi-pod in the prone position! granted he trains his mind and body like a machine and reloads very meticulously.

I'm sure he does that, but he could also do that from bags on a bench.
 In my experience, though, when given a really accurate rifle, and shooting solely for group size while seated at a solid bench, MOST good shooters seem to be capable of about a quarter-inch difference in group size in favor of good bags vs a mounted bipod.
  I like bipods and use them a lot, but I shoot slightly better from bags, and so do most of my buddies. My SWAG theory is that barrel vibration/whip is transferred through the bipod legs to the bench top,and back up to the rifle, whereas bags dampen things a bit better.  The effect of this is probably lessened when shooting a bipod prone from soft ground. Just my observations...Cool
 I also agree with Rancid that a pack is an excellent rest when shooting from a prone position, etc.

Edited by RONK - May/24/2008 at 16:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic