OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Only one rifle for everything???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongShotz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only one rifle for everything???
    Posted: December/09/2004 at 14:55

This is a fun discussion thread i saw on another site.

If you could only own ONE rifle, that your would have to use for EVERYTHING (Hunting, Home Defense etc) what would it be, and what optics would you mount on it?

Mine is as follows:

A Tooley Custom rifle in .270 weatherby magnum with

McMillian stock

Jewell trigger

Tooley custom bdl action

24inch  Krieger stainless steel barrel

Sako extracter

Mercury recoil reducer

WITH:

A Swarovski PV 3-12 X 50 scope.

Edited by LongShotz
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 14:35

Springfield SOCOM 16. 

If home defense comes into play you generaly want something short and reasonably controllable.  If hunting was not in the picture, I'd go for 12 gauge pump shotgun.  If hunting/food gathering are part of the equation I'd want a semiauto with something more powerful than a 223.  Here in California there are very few semiautos youcan get: Kel-Tec SU16 (I've got one and I like it a fair bit), SKS (I've got a couple and it would be my second choice behind the Springfield), M1A, Browning BAR and Rem 7400.

M1a Socom 16 with chambered in 308 with a 16" barrel and a capability to have a forward mounted scout sight or a more conventional scope is probably the most versatile firearm from the list.

Ilya

P.S. I've heard that a DSArms FAL is legal in CA, but I have not seen one anywhere.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 08:27

my 700 LSS 300 ultra mag, because i love that thing, and theres nothing it wont kill... whether its at 10 feet, or 1000 yards. it has a leupy vari-x3 4.5-14x40 A/O.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 09:17

You limit the set of conditions to rifles-so I would keep my folding stock Galil .308 with the 5 -30 shot mags. and the optics-well, just the stock iron sights.

I believe the semi's going into the Cal. gulag  must have a fixed mag, which means the assembley must be loaded with some type of stripper clip. - from the top with the bolt held open.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 17:01
g3ka4.jpg 11147 bytes

The G3KA4 with 12.4 st The G3KA4 with 12.4 inch barrel, smallest 7.62 x 51 caliber rifle that HK actually manufactures.

Scope would be a Leupold MR/T 3-9x36 on a factory HK throw lever mount.

Edited by Chris
357mag View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 357mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 17:09
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

my 700 LSS 300 ultra mag, because i love that thing, and theres nothing it wont kill... whether its at 10 feet, or 1000 yards. it has a leupy vari-x3 4.5-14x40 A/O.

cory

Cory i've read a few of your post where you say 14X is WAYYYYY to much power. What are you doing with such a high power scope?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2004 at 20:32

i use it for shooting out to 1500 yards, so i need a bit of power, but unless im target shooting, or long range varmint hunting (400-1000 yards) i never turn it off 4.5X.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
terry View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2004 at 20:43
   I guess for both feeding myself and defending my home I would take my good old Ar-15 M4 flat top and eotech 551 sight. The trick to the rig is my Mini 14 3gen nightvision mono attached to my head which means while I can't shot 1000 yards I can shot 24 hours a day behind the 551nv sight. I guess everyone else better hide when it gets dark.Good night vision is costly but alot of fun I can promis you that much!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic