OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A new XD pistol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new XD pistol
    Posted: May/23/2008 at 10:07

This one looks sweet, as soon as they come out with a 5 inch model I may be converting back to the XD again.  It looks like they have just made one that has all the extra work done on them that people have been requesting at their custom shop.  The only downside I saw to the original was the trigger and this one has been worked over it sounds like, I bet it is a fantastic weapon.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/home.html

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 11:03
I have heard only good things about them and our local gun shop has sold quite a few.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 12:52
Say%20What 
 Yeah, that figures that they would improve it NOW.

(A month after I buy the OLD model...)
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 17:15
I have had one in the 45 cal that is about 2 years old ( not the new one) I like it so far it has digested every brand and type of ammo I used with not jams etc. I have the 13 round mags but it fits my hand well, but I have big hands to me with a pistol it just has to feel right for me to enjoy shooting it and the XD does

Duce Smile
Duce
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 19:20
So, how is this gun different from the original XD (and other similar polymer pistols)?

I'm just not as in-tune with the pistol world as I once was.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 19:59
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I have had one in the 45 cal that is about 2 years old ( not the new one) I like it so far it has digested every brand and type of ammo I used with not jams etc. I have the 13 round mags but it fits my hand well, but I have big hands to me with a pistol it just has to feel right for me to enjoy shooting it and the XD does

Duce Smile

I agree. See my long thread on this subject.  ("RONK needs handgun advice...")
  But it looks like Springfield took a cue from S&W with the newest XD and added removable, backstrap inserts of various sizes to fine-tune the fit even more.
 The trigger might be better too, but the website didn't mention that, unless I just missed it.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 20:46
It did say they redone the trigger.  Less travel and less reset.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 08:44
 Well, Jason, they must have read your postings on my thread and dealt with your criticisms of the design, and done something about them!
 I think it sounds like they've taken a GREAT handgun and made it about PERFECT!
 I will check it out and if I think the grip works even better for me than the one I have, I may do a trade-up, or give this one to my wife.  By the way, I think Peggy and I will be going to Frontsight with your cousin this November! We're really trying to get things lined up to make it happen.  I'll be staying in touch with you...
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 06:52
http://livedivepacific.com/site.php?pageID=54&newsID=27
Go to this link and hit watch now and then hit
New Releases
 it has a few vids of the new XD . very nice I might add.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - May/27/2008 at 14:05
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

http://livedivepacific.com/site.php?pageID=54&newsID=27
New Releases
BTT
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 14:49
That sounds good Ron, we will be glad to have you along. 
I am really considering buying one of these as well, I think I may wait until they have the 5 inch model and get that one though.  Or maybe even the .45 model.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 20:12
 I will definitely wait for the 5-inch model as well, if it isn't available yet. I know a .45 would be nice, but more costly to shoot.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 20:23
[QUOTE=Bigdaddy0381][QUOTE=Bigdaddy0381]http://livedivepacific.com/site.php?pageID=54&newsID=27
New Releases
[/QUOTE 

Thanks for posting that, Bigdaddy!  Nice plate shooting demo!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2008 at 16:04
Just looking at the site again.  It has a 4.5 inch barrel, that makes me wonder if they will do a 5 inch.  Not much point for 1/2 inch longer.  

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 22:02
Well I just happened to have to travel to one of our other branches to do some computer work today.  And it just happens to be the town where my regular gun shop is.  And he just happened to have an XD M that came in last Friday and I just could not resist it.  So I walked out the door with a new XD M .40.  I gotta say it feels pretty darn good.  I have not shot it yet, I will take it out on my lunch break tomorrow and put 100 rounds or so through it. 

The trigger is noticibly better than the old.  It does not have that mushy feel as the trigger breaks.  While the reset is still not as good as the Glock it is much better than the other model.  There is still just a little bit of play from when it resets to when you get all the slack out again.  But I have figured out the reason why they keep leaving so much play in the reset.  After watching those clips with that Springfield armory dude, can't think of his name, but he slaps the trigger instead of going for a reset and never taking his finger off the trigger.  A lot of those competition shooters do that because they say that way they can shoot any gun more consistently.  But I am big on the reset, so it may still be getting a little work done on it in the future.

The sights seem a little quicker to me as well, but it has been a while since I used a regular XD so maybe I am just imagining it. 
I do like the interchangable grip panels, but the are a pain to switch.  You have to pound out a roll pin with a punch and hammer.  On the S&W M&P you just pop out this little key and it takes about 2 seconds and it is off with no tools.  XD really dropped the ball there.  Not like I will ever change it, but if it was a gun you shared with a family member or something it sure would be nice to have it simpler.

All it all I really like it, and it still fits just perfect in my Blackhawk and bladetech holsters that I still had. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 22:37
Another comment as I am sitting here playing with it.  The mag goes in super smooth, I have never felt a mag that slides in so slick, it latches extremely easy as well.  No need to slam this one hard to get it to go in.  I think they have done a fantastic job on this pistol.

On the down side, I still cannot reach the mag release with my thumb without rotating the pistol in my hand a little.  Dang it, I thought that was suppose to be one of the fixes.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 09:29
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Say%20What 
 Yeah, that figures that they would improve it NOW.

(A month after I buy the OLD model...)

Big%20Grin I feel your pain. This happens with so many things, especially electronics.  Makes one afraid to drop big dollars for something only to find out a month or two later a new improved model is coming out. Cencored
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 09:36
The arms companies are taking the hint from Detroit, make you want a new one every year.
Duce Smile
Duce
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 08:28
 Darn good looking hand-gun . So much better looking than Glocks . Darn glocks look like a daisey BB pistol .... too much plasteeeec .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 18:26

I stopped by Gander Mountain Sunday to check them out as well, but they don't have any of the new ones in stock yet.
  I can't wait to get my hands on one. It's too bad they didn't make the grips more easily interchangable, though.  I need to try out all of the sizes at the sales counter, to know if it will fit my hand  perfectly enough to justify the extra bucks ,
 Does the slide on your new one seem easier to get a hold of with the deeper serrations, Jason?
 It took me a little while to get used to grasping it hard enough to not slip off it if it or my fingers were a little oily.
 I can't imagine smoother magazine changes than my "old" XD.
  You look at the fit and finish and you know that that is a high-quality magazine! Slides in and drops out very smoothly.
 edited to correct the spelling of Jason's name. ( I'm an idiot!)

Edited by RONK - June/04/2008 at 18:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic