OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Memorial Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memorial Day
    Posted: May/23/2008 at 09:46

On Memorial Day, let's pause to remember the many who sacrificed life itself for our freedom and this great nation. For over 230 years, there have always been patriots who answered the country's call and gave their lives. Because of their dedication, millions of people worldwide today have the benefits of freedom. Their lives and heroic deaths are our heritage.

We have a special thought for those among us with family members, loved ones, neighbors and friends who have given the ultimate sacrifice. We can never repay or measure what they gave for all of us. We can only remember their gift to us, and live our lives with the same devotion to country and liberty.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 10:24
Amen, brother!  Well stated!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 12:57
Good post Martin.

It is sad that many do not even know what Memorial Day is about.  Jay Leno asked people on the street on one of his Jay Walking segments and the replies he received were appalling.  People think is has to do with the Indy 500, celebrating the first day of summer, going to the lake or barbecuing.  Ironically in a way these people are unknowingly thanking the soldiers that gave all by doing all these things that represent freedom....I just wished that they realized it.

Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright
From afar drawing nigh,
Falls the night.

Day is done, gone the sun
From the hills, from the lake, from the sky
All is well, safely rest;
God is nigh.

Then goodnight, peaceful night;
Till the light of the dawn shineth bright.
God is near, do not fear,
Friend, goodnight.

Edited by Chris Farris - May/23/2008 at 13:04
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 14:52
May God richly bless and keep our men and women and their families serving in our Armed Forces.
Especially our combat veterans, both past and present.  

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 16:01
Thanks Cheap, and the same to you brother and all who are and have served, POLICE, FIRE as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 16:40
I don't want this to come across the wrong way, so I apologize in advance if it does.

Memorial Day is about one thing, it commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to our country.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who has served but I strongly feel that Memorial Day has been diluted over the years to encompass many things that it was never meant to.

While I am at home with my family grilling in the back yard this weekend I will be spending more time than I normally do thinking of the brave souls that made the ultimate sacrifice so that our wonderful country can remain free.

On Veterans Day I will be thanking as many veterans as I can in person on the phone and here on The O.T. for their selfless service to our country so that we can remain free.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 22:02
                                                     CHRIS
 Sorry I must disagree ....  I think it also commemorates the ones disabled and mangled and went to serve also when thousands hid and used every way possible NOT to go at all . We old vets don't want to be honored ... far from it ... the heroes are not with us ... it's a day to show appreciation for all who served and suffered ... not just died . Many guys went through a living hell they'll carry the scars for .... both physically and mentally .... for the rest of their life . Join me at the local VA hospitol on my next trip . You may change your mind . I know it was established for the fallen at the beginning ... but I see no harm in respecting the other brothers of ours still here and suffering .
                                      Crutch    Marching

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/23/2008 at 22:20
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 22:28
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, so I apologize in advance if it does.

Memorial Day is about one thing, it commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to our country.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who has served but I strongly feel that Memorial Day has been diluted over the years to encompass many things that it was never meant to.

While I am at home with my family grilling in the back yard this weekend I will be spending more time than I normally do thinking of the brave souls that made the ultimate sacrifice so that our wonderful country can remain free.

On Veterans Day I will be thanking as many veterans as I can in person on the phone and here on The O.T. for their selfless service to our country so that we can remain free.

You would be speaking directly to me Chris.

And I take no offense at all. I would like to commend your distinction and depth of thought, however please consider something I have learned the hard way. In April my Guard unit lost four soldiers most of whom were on their second tour. I wasn't allowed to go because of injuries suffered on my fist tour. These soldiers were lost in three different attacks over a three week period. This isn't totally about me so I'll just say that I was devastated, angry, hurt, sad, depressed and insanly desperate to get to my soldiers. But what is truly tragic is as much as I miss these men and love my family, I envy them. Sound crazy? No soldier plans to die for their country but no soldier plans to give his life either, I mean I survived the injuries but who I was is dead. And the care provided for the survivors is reasonable if you ever get it. The injured combat veterans are living a nightmare of red tape and incompetence. When you see a homeless man who is a veteran, it is most likely that he wasn't financlly able to endure the wait.

I said all that to say you are dead on as far as the spirit of Memorial Day, but the tragdy is there are so many dead men walking. If I had died over there my family would have been just short of millionaires and had the legacy of a war hero. And there are hundreds out there like me, and hundreds more on their way home. Am I fishing for pitty? NO! But with what fight there is left in me I intend to show as many as I can what is happening with veterans. And if there is anyone out there who has any influence at all with the VA please slap them and tell them to wake up to the misery these soldiers are in.

When any of you make mention of supporting troops and their families. It makes me proud of you and honored to know you. It makes me want a cure so I can go back and serve you more. But as things are, like I told my wife I would be honored to be laying in Arlington right now. With the real hero's.

1132nd MP Co.   KIA-   Sgt D. Williams,    Sgt. T. Ray,      Sgt. M. Pickett     Sgt. L Eakes

SSgt. T. Spence (Shrapnel both legs)      
Spc. Beck (lost right foot, shrapnel thru intestine, in ICU)
Seven others injured (no info)

Our Brotherhood is everlasting, Our bodies die but our spirit never will!  
God Please Bless everyone who shows appreciation to a soldier/vet.    Marines

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 12:04

To those fellow Marines that served with me, SEMPER FI!!

To those that serve this great country! Thank you! Salute

For those that died so that I can still have my freedom, I am truly thankful.  I pray that no one in this country would or will take for granted the sacrifices made in lives lost.  They paid the ultimate sacrifice.  There families lost brothers, fathers, unlces, grandfathers, and friends.  My prayers are with those families as we remember those great men.

I hope that everyone that visits this forum, and reads this post, will make the time to thank God for the freedoms we have.

Andrew

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 12:49
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

To those fellow Marines that served with me, SEMPER FI!!

To those that serve this great country! Thank you! Salute

I hope that everyone that visits this forum, and reads this post, will make the time to thank God for the freedoms we have.

Andrew

+1   Amen Brother!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 07:11
Thanks Martin for the post.  I applaud all who have ever served defending our country and God bless them and their families.  I want to give a special God bless to my fellow VMI alumni who have served and given their lives helping us to live the life in this country as free individuals.  It is appalling that the hospital where I work does not recognize Memorial day as a holiday.  Shame on Wilson Medical Center of Wilson NC.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 07:11
In proper memory to our fallen heroes, I took the day off from a paid work day and busted my ass for free. I remembered many of my fallen friends from the past and present gulf wars, and made many phone calls, just to say thanks and that I remember.

Cyborg
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 11:02
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

In proper memory to our fallen heroes, I took the day off from a paid work day and busted my ass for free. I remembered many of my fallen friends from the past and present gulf wars, and made many phone calls, just to say thanks and that I remember.

Excellent
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 11:13
I can tell you I had a blast. My lead guitarist, drummer, and bass player all stayed at Lake Sinclair, and sodded a disabled Vets yard, he and his wife insisted that they feed us and put us up, as well as put up with us, so at  night we fished, all day we busted our butts, he has two sons that were killed, one during 'nam, and the youngest during GF 1. He lost a leg during 'nam himself. Great guy, and he busted his hump with us, that old man can drive the crap out of a tractor.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 18:46
My hats off to ya....great thing you all did
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 20:29
Sgt D & Helo 

Thanks for  Your Service  American%20Flag

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 21:01
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I can tell you I had a blast. My lead guitarist, drummer, and bass player all stayed at Lake Sinclair, and sodded a disabled Vets yard, he and his wife insisted that they feed us and put us up, as well as put up with us, so at  night we fished, all day we busted our butts, he has two sons that were killed, one during 'nam, and the youngest during GF 1. He lost a leg during 'nam himself. Great guy, and he busted his hump with us, that old man can drive the crap out of a tractor.

Classy gesture, Bill.  I applaud you for doing that!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 06:20
Thanks Ted, and Martin. We had a good time.

Cyborg
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 07:07
 I salute you buddy .... and I don't salute many ! Only a vet knows what a salute to someone means .... and as General MacArthur said " Old Soldiers Never Die --- They Just Fade  Away "  every service man in all services who served are considered old soldiers to me . Seems to be a brotherhood we will never forget or let down .  

Edited by mercenary1947 - June/02/2008 at 07:16
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 07:15
They've seen and walked bravely through the "Gates of Hell" and only a few returned, FOREVER CHANGED.
Thanks for the salute Merc. and I gladly return the same Brother. I appreciate that my drummer came up with the Idea. I plan to make it a regular thing on Service oriented holidays. Alot of people forget that everyone that has served gave up a portion of their lives for the betterment of this Country, and as such they are deserving of respect. 

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic