OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles or Meopta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles or Meopta
    Posted: May/22/2008 at 22:46

This is only my first few posts on this site - but I love the site and actually visit quite often.  I love optics and my wife just doesn't understand; it's not just a scope.  Anyway, to my question.

I'm looking for a scope for my Rem 7mm.  I hunt primarily whitetails, but have a CO mule deer hunt scheduled, and will be doing some elk hunting with this rifle as well.   Basically, it's my all around rifle.  Shots could be from 75 yards to 400 yards.  I'm looking at putting a Kahles CL 3-10x50 or a Meopta 4-12x40 on it.  One of my main concerns with the Meopta is the weight and the eye piece is huge.  I think I could use some Medium rings, but barely have any clearance when I raise my bolt with the Meopta as well.  My main concern with the Kahles is that I might want more magnification.  I want a scope thats clear, bright, and with decent magnification in the event I take a 400 yard shot. 

I'm open to ideas here - so what would you all suggest?

Thanks - Cory
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 22:54
Or I could consider Zeiss Conquest 3-10x44...???
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 22:56

Not sure about the Meopta, but the Kahles is definitely better than the Zeiss Conquest.  The real experts will be along shortly to answer your question and give lots of advice.

Welcome to the OT!

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 03:37
Kahles is a better way to go.

As for magnification, I doubt you will need any more than what Kahles gives you, but I'll let others with more experience address that.

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 05:18
A 3x9 scope is all one really needs, all of the manufactures you listed provide excellent glass, so it really comes down to personal preference and budget.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 05:25
Welcome to the OT!
Firstly, very few wives understand, so you are not alone out there.
As for the optics, I would go for the Kahles. Out to 400yds there will be little practical differences between 10x and 12x. If you were talking of 16x or more then it is a consideration.
I own a 10x scope and take shots out to 400yds, but it is stretching the scopes abilities for a perfectly placed shot. 10x is best limited to 300yds or so.
On targets it is no problem as a miss is a miss, not a wounded animal.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 06:50
buy a kahles you wont be sorry
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 06:51
This is a similar question I was going to ask, but purely from the standpoint of optical quality.  Any thoughts on that question?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 08:40
I have that exact Kahles.. it's an awesome scope with glass better than the Conquest
I also have a 4.5-14 Conquest and it's on my 204 ruger, the Kahles on my 270 for deer hunting.. having compared both side by side and looking at objects in low light out to about 300 yards, the Kahles glass has better resolution...
for deer, the 10X with the Kahles glass is good to go out to 400 yards no problem
better glass trumps a little more magnification in this case
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 09:29
Welcome, muley!

You will never be handicapped by 10X on 90% of all hunting you would do in N. America.  I have used 1.5-6X, 2-7X, 3-9X, and 2.5-10X scopes for all big game hunting I've ever done.  I've never had a situation where I wanted more magnification to the point I was willing to make the weight, length, and FOV sacrifices associated with going up in magnification.  I also don't take shots at big game animals further than about 350 or maybe 400 yards under any circumstances, so I don't have a need for more magnification.  I feel like if I can't get closer than that, I'm not hunting anyway.  Even when hunting out west, I've never had a situation where it was impossible to get closer.  I reserve the high magnification, long range shooting for varmints.

I have zero experience with Meopta scopes, but those who have rave about them.  I have considerable experience with Kahles, and they are fantastic.  The Zeiss Conquest is a great value and isn't far behind Kahles.  Depending on how picky you are about image quality, you may or may not find the difference between the two to be worth the price difference.  If you think of a scope as a lifetime investment though, the slight edge the Kahles will give you in low light situations may be worth the added cost factored over a lifetime of use.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 21:13
get a Kahles CL 4-12x52 off the samplelist. Awesome scope.
abailey54
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic