OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest vs Kahles CL Multi-Zero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest vs Kahles CL Multi-Zero
    Posted: May/22/2008 at 14:25
I am looking for a scope to mount on a HK SLB2000 in 30-06 using QD rings.  The gun will be used for mainly hogs and Texas deer, the longest shot will probably be 250 yards.  This is my first European scope purchase.

I am in a quandary as to which scope to purchase.  The 2 options are:

Zeiss Conquest  3-9x40mm w/ Z-Plex Reticle Matte Finish: $330 no tax no shipping

Kahles 3-9x42 Helia CL Multizero (0ff Sample List): $600 plus taxes and shipping

With a new baby on the way the $300 delta is rather large.  But is there a $300 plus  difference between the two?

I am having a hard time rationalizing the value differences between the two scope.  Any insights would be appreciated.

thanks
DOug

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 15:00
Hi Doug,
I believe we spoke this morning..

if you aren't getting an illuminated reticle scope I would HIGHLY recommend the 4A reticle

I have a Conquest and a Kahles, the latter is better glass and better resolution and clarity especially at night

however, 330 is a smoking deal on the conquest and I doubt you would not be happy with it
I will go back to the reticle thing.. I think it's as equally important as the glass, especially in low light hunting
the best glass in the world is useless if you can't distinguish the reticle.

most of the hog hunting that's done in Texas is over feeders, 50-100 yards tops are average shots, so,  low power and good field of view is better than the extra magnification...

dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 15:46
Hey Charles
We did speak this morning about the Kahles scope.

The hogs we hunt at night are conditioned not to be light sensitive due to cameras on the feeders.  I understand your point about reticle in low/no light situations but we always hunt with scope lights.

I am glad you see my consternation especially give the low price on a new Zeiss Conquest.

To your point about low light the Kahles 2-7x36 American Hunter (off Samplelist) should provide better low light transmission, but the $450 prices it out compared to the Zeiss price.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 16:17
I'ma huge fan of both the conquest and all kahles scopes, truth be told the Cl is not twice as good as the conquest, so actually the conquest is a better deal at half the price. Just my thoughts.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 16:33
Doug,
As big a fan of Kahles scopes as I am, it's hard to beat the price on the Conquest.  The Kahles does have superior optics, it's just hard to advise someone to spend twice as much (even though that's still a great deal on the Kahles CL) for a scope that isn't twice as good.  If you look at this as a long-term investment, truthfully $300 isn't a lot of money to enjoy a little better optical performance over a lifetime of use, but the Conquest is no slouch.  I too would recommend the #4 reticle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 16:37
First congradulations on the the upcoming arival of your baby. Thunbs%20Up

The Zeiss is a great choice and it sounds like you know where your priorities are right now. Go with ccoker's suggestion of the 4a reticle if you can get it for the same price as the Z-plex. If not, I hear good things about the Z-plex reticle so not to worry. If you find later that you need a bolder reticle you can always send the scope to Zeiss for a reticle change and still beat the price of the Kahles.

http://www.zeiss.com/sports

Edited by mike650 - May/22/2008 at 18:23
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Doug,
As big a fan of Kahles scopes as I am, it's hard to beat the price on the Conquest.  The Kahles does have superior optics, it's just hard to advise someone to spend twice as much (even though that's still a great deal on the Kahles CL) for a scope that isn't twice as good.  If you look at this as a long-term investment, truthfully $300 isn't a lot of money to enjoy a little better optical performance over a lifetime of use, but the Conquest is no slouch.  I too would recommend the #4 reticle.

Ditto
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 22:36
Doug, as a user of both scopes, I personally see little difference between the two when I look through them. Save your dough for diapers and go with the conquest, you will not be disappointed! That Z-plex reticle is oh so sexy!.............bricat.
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 22:40
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

First congradulations on the the upcoming arival of your baby. Thunbs%20Up

Thanks Mike.

I found several Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X50mm Zplex on ebay.  They are currently sitting at $400. 

To me the Zeiss 3.5-10X50mm is a better deal than the Zeiss 3-9x42mm.  I am still thinking the Kahles Multi-Zero might be the best option given I can set it up to handle different weight bullets.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 08:41
the Zeiss with the 50mm objective will be nice at dark, I have played with that same scope
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 09:15
Doug,
Congratulations on the new baby!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 09:29
Originally posted by dougk dougk wrote:

But is there a $300 plus  difference between the two?

I am having a hard time rationalizing the value differences between the two scope.  Any insights would be appreciated.
thanks
DOug
                        Doug.......that is a great price on the Conquest!  If you wanted to only save money you could go with the Bushnell Elite 4200 @ $250 but I don't think you are really asking about what is the very best deal on a scope.  According to your post you are not even asking as to whether the Kahles CL is twice as good as the Ziess Conquest even though it is twice the cost.  You want to know if the extra $300 will be well spent.

I own a Kahles but not a Conquest so I can't really compare the two from my own experience.  From reading the posts here comparing the two scopes the consensus  seems to be that the Kahles is worth every penny spent due to it's excellent glass and low light capabilities.  You won't find many that will attest that the Kahles scope is twice as good as the Conquest but many will tell you that the extra $300 is well spent if hunting hogs is a meaningful endeavor to you.  Just my two cents.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 21:16
Hey Doug Ive had both. The kahles is clearer but not worth that much money difference. Conquest is a great scope. Good luck.
abailey54
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 06:49
After seeing a Schmidt and Bender Classic 1.5-6x42 for $900 I am leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 for $400.

After looking at the various scopes I decided to go back to the purpose of the scope which will be mounted on a 30-06 semiautomatic rifle for hogs (day and night) deer (day) putting most shots at 100 yards while still allowing what I believe is a lot more light.  Am I correct in my assumption?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 10:26
makes sense to me
that's why my "hog gun" has a 1.5-6
can you get that with a 4a reticle?
that should be an ideal scope
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 23:50
I was so tempted to buy the Schmidt & Bender BUT reality set in so I ended up with the Zeiss The mount should be here from EAW tomorrow.

The Zeiss appears to fit the bill I am interested to see how it performs in low light conditions.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 01:17
Keep us posted!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 10:29
dougk,
The 1.8-5.5X38 would make a fantastic scope for this type of hunting!  I think you made a great choice!
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 11:13
bluefin check you pm box.
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 13:04
Here it is mounted using the EAW detachable mounts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic