OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope for a 223

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guerrillero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope for a 223
    Posted: May/21/2008 at 23:12
I'm looking for a scope to mount on my savage 12 BVSS, my budget is $300.

My choices:

Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster ($249 samplelist refurbished)

Millett 4-16x56 Buck Gold 30mm ($219 millett show good warranty)

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200 Rifle ($250 from a friend)

I'll be using the rifle 90% of the time shooting papers and 10% killing some varmints. Any opinion of the the new Millett Buck Gold ?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 00:16
probably the bushnell

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/22/2008 at 00:20

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 04:38
I like the Buckmaster, but the warranty on the "Nikofurbs" is like 90 days or something.
Jus sayin....Wink

That said, chances are VERY GOOD you'll have many years of trouble free service from the Buckmaster and never need to fool with the CS @ Nikon.
I have had ZERO problems out of my Nikon's and know of nobody in my area that has had any issues with theirs either.

Welcome to The OT.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 09:36
3200 Elite ...
I also have  Weaver 4-16 I've had good luck with

Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V16 Series Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $289.95
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 13:06
I like my Weaver V series, but am unsure about the warranty issues.  The Elite 3200 is a fine scope.
guerrillero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guerrillero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 13:38
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to The OT.

Thanks, great forum you got here !!!

Excellent
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guerrillero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 13:39

I think the weaver will be a nice scope but I would prefer targets over the hunter knobs, that's one reason of my choices posted above.

Any opinions of the Millett Buck Gold, I'm curious about their glass and their build quality I already saw a couple of reviews about the TRS-1 but is the Buck Gold the same scope, I'm thinking about the millett because the warranty that they offer, any experience with this scope?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 17:32
http://www.swfa.com/pc-11722-1395-millett-4-16x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope.aspx

No experience with the Buck Gold, but I did fool around with the tactical version, which may have the same glass??
(Correct me if I'm wrong Millet fans.)

The tactical was a pretty good scope and the glass was better than I expected. 
I didn't like the mondo, big ass side focus wheel or the lit reticle, but as is my mantra on this forum is so often "for the money", it was a good buy.   

Customer service from Millet has recieved high marks around here. No worries there.

All the best!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2008 at 15:53
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I didn't like the mondo, big ass side focus wheel...

That's a technical term, BTW.Wink  On the bright side, of all the MOBASWHEE's available, the Millet Tac is widely regarded as having one of the best, if not THE best on the market today!Yippee
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guerrillero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 10:40
I  send  an email to millett asking about the differences between the Buck Gold new gen and the TRS-1, if the Buck Gold result to be inferior I think I will be going for the buckmaster.

thanks for your help !!!  Howdy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 10:48

Please report back here and let the forum know the difference, if any.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guerrillero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2008 at 20:32
I received an answer from Millett and result  that the TRS-1 and the Buck Gold New Generation are the same scope (same build standards and same glass), I already ordered one, let's see when the scope arrive.  Big%20Grin
1badf350 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1badf350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 09:40
I just got back from a South Dakota Praire Dog trip with my TRS-1 on my Rock River 20" varmint rifle. It was simply awesome. I don't have alot of experience with differnt scopes so I'll just say that I had zero problems smacking them out to 400+ yards.
1badf350 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1badf350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 06:39
Originally posted by 1badf350 1badf350 wrote:

I just got back from a South Dakota Praire Dog trip with my TRS-1 on my Rock River 20" varmint rifle. It was simply awesome. I don't have alot of experience with differnt scopes so I'll just say that I had zero problems smacking them out to 400+ yards.
By "zero" problems I meant I had no problems. Big%20Grin LOL, it was taken in the opposite context in another thread so I thought I'd clarify. The scope was fantastic.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 08:59
Originally posted by guerrillero guerrillero wrote:

I received an answer from Millett and result  that the TRS-1 and the Buck Gold New Generation are the same scope (same build standards and same glass), I already ordered one, let's see when the scope arrive.  Big%20Grin

Verrry interesting .... same scope ....  !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic