OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles versus Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: For hunting applications regardless of price, which scope and model?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [50.00%]
5 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles versus Swarovski
    Posted: May/21/2008 at 12:47
For hunting applications only, which scope and model do you believe is better and why?  Remember, this is regardless of cost and money is no object.  This is also regardless of the status of Kahles scopes in this country, which I am not up to date on, so, if there is no issue, forget about it.  Please state your reasons why, with respect to optics, ergonomics and quality of construction.  Thanks guys.

Edited by cheaptrick - May/21/2008 at 15:36
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 12:49
I realize this is a broad question and it is meant to be that way.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 13:14
I have three Kahles C's. A 2.2-9x42 and two 1.1-4x24. I think they are the optical equal of the PH Swarovski's I've used and the ergonomics are very similar, also. I really have not much to complain about with Swaro other than a 3-9 A-line broke on me at the range. This a sample group of one and not good for the chi-squared test (couldn't resist, D Wink), but it's good enough to satisfy me. I buy Kahles.
You are right, the question is broad. I think the Helia C and PH models are pretty close, otherwise.
Doug

Edited by tahqua - May/21/2008 at 21:16
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 13:41
That was pretty good.Smile
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 14:08

Currently, I've got one of each, a Kahles CL 4-12 and a Swarovski PH 2.5-10. Optically, I can't see any difference in them. Both are very nice and similar in size and weight. I will say this, I recently had to send the PH in for service and SONA replaced a lens in it and it looks clear and bright again. First failure I have ever had on a Swar. The other thing I will mention is resale value. IMO the Swarovski will hold its resale value better than the Kahles if for no other reason than name recognition. I recently sold my 3-12X56mm Swarovski (which was 20 years old) on e-bay for more than I paid for the new Kahles I bought off of the samplelist. Just something to consider.

RK

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 14:56
I had a Swarvoski 3-10x32 american and a Kahles CL 3-10x50 at the same time

the Kahles to me had slightly better glass and what I kept
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 15:10
What do you guys think about the 2x7 38mm Kahles CL?  I could be wrong in the exact dimensions.  I guess I am a throw back, but I love low profile scopes and am still getting used to the 56mm objective on my Trijicon.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 18:06
I have two Kahles scopes and I am very pleased with them.  I have never owned a swarovski, but I'd sure like to try one.....maybe some day.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

What do you guys think about the 2x7 38mm Kahles CL?  I could be wrong in the exact dimensions.  I guess I am a throw back, but I love low profile scopes and am still getting used to the 56mm objective on my Trijicon.

I own that scope.  It is mounted on my Kimber 84M .260 I've posted pics of in a couple threads on this site.  In short, it's among my very favorite scopes, and I view it as an ideal big game hunting scope, especially for a light, compact rifle.  It is a superb little scope in all respects!  BTW, it is a 2-7X36, not 38mm.  Kahles has discontinued it, though, so if you want one and can find one, I would get it while you can.

As for Swarovski vs. Kahles, quality-wise, I believe they are essentially equal.  Except for the top of the line Z6/Z6i, I think the remainder of the Swarovski models are pretty much the equal of the Kahles scopes of the same power range and objective diameter.

I would probably give the slight edge to Kahles only because they are usually less expensive.  However, the jury's still out on Kahles' customer service now that the U.S. importer has changed to Legacy Sports, and Swaro's CS is usually regarded as first rate.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 21:15
Isn't this like trying to choose between top shelf whiskey, or two beautiful women?  The answer may be in the eye of the beholder, literally and figuratively!

Since Kahles R&D did the dirty work, and Swarovski had the name, an indictment of one is like the indictment of the other. 

Did either ever sell a stinky model scope?  You just can't come out a loser either way.

Mojo    
MOJO
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 07:26
Good points.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 17:08
I do have a swaro that has been excellent and seen a lot of service , I don't have a Kales so I vote for the swaro.  Both scopes are probably overkill for normal hunting suberb optics and high prices but excellent quality for the long shots.
Duce  Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic