OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 6500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 6500
    Posted: May/19/2008 at 20:04
I am looking at a 6500 2.5-16 x 42 sure looks good with that big of a range, does anyone know what the Fine Multi X reticle looks like.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2008 at 23:52
Looks like cross hairs that are fine in the middle and a little heavier on the outside.  Think Duplex.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 04:30

Just wondering if anyone else has received one of these scopes?  I just received one this week and the focus seems a little unclear at any magnification over 8x.  Could be my eyes but I don't think so.

but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 07:38
I was thinking it would be fine, was not sure if it would be thick also, could not find a picture of it. Yours is not clear at 8x and above, has anyone else had the same problem.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 09:13
 Yea .... just another name for a common rectile . Hummm .... sounds like the 6500's are buggy to say the least .... or you got a bad one ... I'd return it .  Whistling  want to see some replies on that . 
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
hidoa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 15:26
I have the same model in Mildot, mine is fine...

On Another note, any idea what size Butler Creek flip ups??
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 17:47
I have gotten so that I can't even read the words on the screen of my monitor anymore without the use of drug store magnifying glasses even thought I have 20/20 vision in my right eye.  It just occured to me that maybe I should wear them on my nose for low light situations when hunting since the scope is only 4" from my eye.  I can't see anything else from that distance.  I have made all the adjustments that I can make to the scope.
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
dimecovers3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimecovers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 22:39
Originally posted by dougedwards dougedwards wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has received one of these scopes?  I just received one this week and the focus seems a little unclear at any magnification over 8x.  Could be my eyes but I don't think so.

I am on my third 4200 and had the same problem.  Let some other folks try it and they saw the same as I did. Wasted hours trying to focus it to no avail.  Send it back and get a Zeiss or Leupold
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 06:49
Originally posted by dougedwards dougedwards wrote:

I have gotten so that I can't even read the words on the screen of my monitor anymore without the use of drug store magnifying glasses even thought I have 20/20 vision in my right eye.  It just occured to me that maybe I should wear them on my nose for low light situations when hunting since the scope is only 4" from my eye.  I can't see anything else from that distance.  I have made all the adjustments that I can make to the scope.

No Doug ... I have the same vision problems but my Nikon scope is crystal clear throughout . It's the scope .... take it back guys ..... even $ 75.00 scopes by others are'nt like that !

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/21/2008 at 06:50
               SWFAM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 06:57
Originally posted by hidoa hidoa wrote:

I have the same model in Mildot, mine is fine...

On Another note, any idea what size Butler Creek flip ups??

Do you have the spec sheet that came with it ? If so it'll tell you your dimensions and you can use this chart :

SWFAM
LDHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 11:56
I have three of these scopes and all have the Mil-Dot reticle and I have no focus issues.

Is this your first scope with an ocular focus ring?

$bob$
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 13:30
Originally posted by LDHunter LDHunter wrote:

I have three of these scopes and all have the Mil-Dot reticle and I have no focus issues.

Is this your first scope with an ocular focus ring?

$bob$

Yes I have had others but at much lower magnification levels.  Should I have to adjust the ocular focus ring as I increase the level of magnification?  If so this doesn't seem to be a very hunter friendly feature in my mind.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 10:26
 Just wanted to point out that my problem with the image focusing issues have been resolved thanks to the help from this forum and in particularly Ilya.  Now I know how to use the side parallax adjustment to bring objects into focus and to leave the ocular adjustment alone after once focusing the reticle in clearly.  Great forum and my Bushnell 6500 scope won't be going back........Doug
long--shot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote long--shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 22:58
The 6500 2.5 - 16 was impressive at first but I found all three of mine have pronounced fish eye distortion at the low end magnification.  It is very pronounced when following a moving target.  Of course you are likely to have it set low for moving targets so this is a substantial gaff on Bushnell's part.  When holding steady on paper you will not hardly notice it, but once you start swinging the rifle it is almost enough to cause motion sickness as the image at the edges warps!  What were they thinking when they built the optical system on these? 
Join the NRA and protect your freedom
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 23:46
Any updates on these scopes, particularly the 2.5x16x42? Are folks still have problems or are the kinks worked out? Has anyone tried the new DOA recticle? I'm torn between this one and the Luppy 4.5x14x50 with the B&C recticle.
rbl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 11:11
Originally posted by fireroad fireroad wrote:

Any updates on these scopes, particularly the 2.5x16x42? Are folks still have problems or are the kinks worked out? Has anyone tried the new DOA recticle? I'm torn between this one and the Luppy 4.5x14x50 with the B&C recticle.

I wish I knew the answer to this as well.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 15:38
Originally posted by rbl rbl wrote:

Originally posted by fireroad fireroad wrote:

I wish I knew the answer to this as well.

I have heard very little in terms of kinks or problems regarding the 2.5-16x42 model, although there were a few user errors here and there, usually from people who are not used to side-focus scopes (no harm there, it is just a matter of learning how to use the scope properly).

I have heard of a couple of scopes last year, that fell through the cracks somehow and they were promptly fixed or replaced (do not remember the details now).

Generally, 2.5-16x42 with MilDot is one of the scopes I recommend to people frequently and the feedback has been generally quite positive:

For my money, I would take the Eltie 6500 over the Leupy, but a lot of it is simply personal preference, since both are good scopes.    

ILya
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 15:54
I ended up buying both the Leupy Mark 4 and the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 mil-dot so I could compare them side by side for myself. Never even mounted the Leupold, the Bushnell was hands down the better scope. The glass was clearer, the contrast sharper, the reticle darker, and the overall quality more impressive. It's been on a 300 WSM for about 4 months now and no problems to report.

Ended up replacing the Mark 4 with a Sightron Big Sky II, another really impressive. As soon as I get a free afternoon were the weather cooperates I will put together a side by side comparison of the two. Nothing against leupold, I have owned a number of their scopes  and still have one, but I'm finding that the competition has caught up with (and even passed) them quality and price wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic