OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

High Grid?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jägermeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Grid?
    Posted: May/19/2008 at 18:23
Another Swarovski terminology question.

What does High Grid mean?

Thanks,
          Josh
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 09:02
   No seriously this is what they say   :

The patented Swarovski coil spring system .. so when the magnification is altered it is only the target under observation that is magnified and not the reticle itself . Odd ... my Nikon does'nt blow up my rectile either . Just hype .

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/20/2008 at 09:06
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
jägermeister View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jägermeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 13:51
So you're saying:

high grid = reticle in the 2nd image plane?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 16:40
No, "High Grid" has nothing to do with the coil springs in a PH scope or reticle focal plane.  It is Swarovski's terminology for their digital illumination control.  I don't have the slightest clue what they are specifically referring to with the words "high grid," but whenever that term is mentioned it is associated with their BE-3 and BE-4 digital illumination control unit mounted on the elevation turret of the scope, and the manner they use for projecting light to the center of the reticle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 05:58
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

No, "High Grid" has nothing to do with the coil springs in a PH scope or reticle focal plane.  It is Swarovski's terminology for their digital illumination control.  I don't have the slightest clue what they are specifically referring to with the words "high grid," but whenever that term is mentioned it is associated with their BE-3 and BE-4 digital illumination control unit mounted on the elevation turret of the scope, and the manner they use for projecting light to the center of the reticle.

That's all I could find on it . Oh ... IR control ... their website was about half useless for explaining anything . Sorry best I could do .... guess I should have just kept my mouth shut ,,,,,  LOL
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
jägermeister View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jägermeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 09:11
"That's all I could find on it . Oh ... IR control ... their website was about half useless for explaining anything . Sorry best I could do .... guess I should have just kept my mouth shut ,,,,,  LOL "
Yeah, I have to agree. There are a number of terms that I don't understand and I find their literature/websites to be laid out poorly and confusing. For instance in their catalog they have a bunch of different models described by the following:

PV
PV-N
PV-I
PVI-2

I know that PV and PV-N stand for their variable power Professional hunter and Professional hunter illuminated respectively. Also, I know that PVI-2 is their 2nd image plane reticle illuminated scope, but what is PV-I. Furthermore, why can't they give these scopes more distinctive names like the Z6 line or the A-line? Anyway, I guess I'm just confused and complaining. Maybe something has gotten lost in translation, I don't know. 

Josh
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by jägermeister jägermeister wrote:

Also, I know that PVI-2 is their 2nd image plane reticle illuminated scope, but what is PV-I. Furthermore, why can't they give these scopes more distinctive names like the Z6 line or the A-line? Anyway, I guess I'm just confused and complaining. Maybe something has gotten lost in translation, I don't know. 

Josh

Josh, as you said, PVI-2 is the 2nd focal plane lit reticle models, and PV-I was the designation for the first focal plane lit reticle scopes, though I'm not sure those are still in the lineup or not.

I agree that their website and sales literature information can be rather confusing and they do a poor job of explaining terminology.  Once you sort out what you want, their products are great, though.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic