OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ellis Optics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ellis Optics
    Posted: May/18/2008 at 16:52
Has anyone had any exposure to these?

I really like the configuraitons:

http://www.ellisoptics.com/

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 16:59
  • Ellis optics engineers developed height efficiency broad band coating that gather a full color spectrum of day light and high resolution at twilight .the MK-7 deliver up to 99.6 of total  light transmission.Shocked
    Ed Connelly View Drop Down
    Optics Retard
    Optics Retard
    God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:00

Shocked

check out the price tag!!.................................................Eek     
    RifleDude View Drop Down
    EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:07
    Feature-wise, they look like nice scopes, but someone in their advertising dept. needs to learn how to spell "reticle" / "reticule."  They can't decide if it is a "recital" or "retical," but they consistently misspell the word throughout.
    Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
    cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:10
    They also offer a "flat tire" reticle on one their scopes. I have never heard of that. 
    300S&W View Drop Down
    Optics God
    Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:14
         Sounds like you guys are falling behind on this modern optics technology!

til later
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:34
    I know a couple of people who have had interactions with Ellis Optics and they seemed impressed, but I have not had any Ellis products in my hands yet.  They seem to be aimed squarely at IOR, so I am very curious about the 1-6x28 and 2-12x32 models.

ILya
    RifleDude View Drop Down
    EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:46
    They do have somewhat of an IOR-esque look to them.
    Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
    RONK View Drop Down
    Optics Master Extraordinaire
    Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 19:09
    Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Feature-wise, they look like nice scopes, but someone in their advertising dept. needs to learn how to spell "reticle" / "reticule."  They can't decide if it is a "recital" or "retical," but they consistently misspell the word throughout.

Translation problems, perhaps?
     They also repeatedly spelled "range" as  "rang", and "precision" as "percision" and "percion."
     Of course, that is relatively a minor point if the scopes are as good as they appear to be.
     I wonder where they are made.

Edited by RONK - May/18/2008 at 19:13
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 22:12

[/QUOTE]

Good Ole U.S.A.

mercenary1947 View Drop Down
    Optics Master
    Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 22:45
    Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

If they can't even spell common terms ... I don't know ?  Of course they could have spelled it  "RECTAL " !!!!     What did they hire third graders ?

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/18/2008 at 22:51
    One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
                   SWFAM
    Doodaddy View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 22:48
    Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good Ole U.S.A.

[/QUOTE]

In that case, the translation part might not be the issue. Smile
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 23:02
    The worst spelling errors I have seen over the years have been from native speakers, so that would not bother me too much.

I do not know how many people are involved in Ellis Optics operation and it is quite possible that they do not have any marketers/technical writers yet.

It will be interesting to see how they do.

ILya
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 13:51
    Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The worst spelling errors I have seen over the years have been from native speakers, so that would not bother me too much.

I do not know how many people are involved in Ellis Optics operation and it is quite possible that they do not have any marketers/technical writers yet.

It will be interesting to see how they do.

ILya
    Just FYI...I phoned Ellis Optics and spoke with them about their products.  Defense contractor, sells almost exclusively to DoD, but will sell individual items.  Small specialized operation.  Has no real marketing base, but was at the NRA convention and will be at next SHOT.  I suspect if some one of the high-powered Optics Masters with SWFA affiliation contacted them, they might provide an evaluation scope.  Can't promise that, but he was not completely adverse to it.  He did tell me that if I bought one he would fully guarantee my love of it...

koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 13:58
    Is he selling them already then? Who exactly did you talk to? 

If he has loaners that he send to people out for review, I would definitely be very interested.

As for buying one, it would be a bit harder to get that past the family budget, but I can try.

ILya
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 14:29
    He is selling to the public already.  Said he had spoken with Chris at SHOT last year and they had discussed an evaluation of his scopes, he got busy, never heard back from Chris.  He is willing to provide an evaluation item to SWFA.  Has been in business for a little over 2.5 years.  I was talking to him on cell phone and the connection was not good, but believe his name is Ryan Burrows...owner of the company.  His phone number is on the website. 
    So come on SWFA...give us a hands-on review of this item. 
    I really enjoyed talking wity Mr. Burrows (when I could hear) and am really tempted to jump out and buy one of his scopes.  However, I would like to see a detailed review, because to spend that much on glass would cause great grief in the family.  I would probably have to sell a rifle or two.  He said if I wasn't happy, return for full refund.  Still a BIG bite, for me.  With a daughter about to start private high school, I am "strapped for cash".  And I am, of course, waiting on this to become a part of the SWFA line...

Edited by Kickboxer - May/20/2008 at 14:34
    Duce View Drop Down
    Optics Master
    Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 14:27
    I noticed too they say the scope is "broadband coated" a term I have not seen a lot in optics. Their scope does look like some of the tactical scopes from China, has anyone been by their productions facilities? I find 99% light transmission through multiple lens hard to believe without some optical lab test reports.
    Duce  Whatever
    Duce
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 18:42
    Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I noticed too they say the scope is "broadband coated" a term I have not seen a lot in optics. Their scope does look like some of the tactical scopes from China, has anyone been by their productions facilities? I find 99% light transmission through multiple lens hard to believe without some optical lab test reports.
    Duce  Whatever

Duce, I spoke at length with the man on the phone...he said he makes them by hand in his shop. He is a DoD contractor producing for SOCOM, trying to go commercial. He offered to let SWFA try one.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
    always lost View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always lost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 20:40
    I have been looking around for a good scope, but look at those price tags.  Whacko
    always looking for direction
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2008 at 20:53
    It is PRICEY...
    I think koshkin should review it for us.
    Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
      Share Topic