OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikko Nighteater or Vortex Crossfire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikko Nighteater or Vortex Crossfire?
    Posted: May/16/2008 at 01:00
The scope will be placed on my newly purchased Savage Mark II-Mako Heavy Barrel Thumbhole 22Lr used mostly for target shooting as well as prarie dogs and general plinking.

Nikko Nighteater
Vortex Crossfire

Those are the options I've narrowed it down to. Neither are really mentioned that often, or much at all for that matter, so I'm kind of limited without some input. I am open to other options, but I prefer to stay in this price range and under $200, unless the upgrade is significant over the previously mentioned scopes. :cool:
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 01:04
Well, apparently my hyperlinking code is frowned upon by this software. Loco

The gun it's being mounted to:
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Doodaddy/Savage%20MkII%20Mako/

Nikko Nighteater:
http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/PlatinumNighteater/Nighteater.htm

Vortex Crossfire:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/view/vortex-crossfire-6-24x50-ao-riflescope

Both are priced at $170. Howdy

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 06:18
  Only thing I can tell ya is that I read on another forum that Nikko customer service is not good.

til later
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 16:22
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12782-2213-new-vortex-6-24x50-crossfire-rifle-scope.aspx

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Do you have any input or information about that scope?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 19:09
No Sir.
I was merely pointing out that SWFA had a better price than the $170 scope you mentioned earlier in this thread.

Have you utilized the forum "search function"?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2008 at 19:10
Nice rifle!
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 09:13

No Sir.
I was merely pointing out that SWFA had a better price than the $170 scope you mentioned earlier in this thread.

Have you utilized the forum "search function"?  

I am fully aware that SWFA has a better price, however the link I provided includes more information about the scope, which I thought would be better for the more experienced users to analyze versus the better price.

I've searched quite a bit over a variety of forums. The Vortex Crossfire scopes are rarely mentioned (the Viper and Diamondbacks are far more popular), and the Nikko even less.

I did happen to run across a Nikko Nighteater yesterday at a local target match. It was a 3-9x40 on a Savage .17HMR. I did like it, just desired a stronger power.

Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 09:14

Nice rifle!

Why thank you. Cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 09:27
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=5

You may want to check out the Rimfire Forum for some other scope ideas.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the two scopes you mentioned.  
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 09:35

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=5

You may want to check out the Rimfire Forum for some other scope ideas.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the two scopes you mentioned.  

No apologies needed!

I think I'm going to reconsider what I'm looking to purchase. Most likely, the power range I was looking for will reduce a tad, allowing me more options. I think a maximum power of 14x would be sufficient, hopefully in the +/- $200 range. Looks like I'm back to searching like mad.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 10:25
     Dd,I found a scope that may intrest you. The Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 w/adjustable objective and mil-dot reticle. Found this listed under the rimfire scopes but it's also listed under centerfire scopes.  Bushnell's have always been known as being at or near top as far as entry level scopes go. It also was given a 4 1/2 star rating. It's available at SWFA for a good bit under your max budget!

til later
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 10:35
For $200 and target shooting I think the Weaver 3-9 with AO is a great choice. The optics are fully multi-coated and the bodies have the same construction as their big game scopes.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2319-257-weaver-3-9x32-rv9-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope.aspx
This scope will let you see holes at 100 yards with no problem. The AO will let you close focus for shots at insects @ 5 yards.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - May/18/2008 at 10:35
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 11:21
Both of those look really nice.

I like my dad's Weaver V24, so that's definitely an option.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2627-233-leatherwood-6-18x50-distinguished-rifle-scope.aspx

That one has caught my eye as well. The 1/8" clicks are highly appealing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 11:30
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 11:31
As has the Burris Timberline series. This one
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 11:33

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8476-380-swift-45-14x44-premier-rifle-scope.aspx

How about a Swift?

I'm kind of unsure about the Swifts. My brother has the  8-32x50 Premier on his Savage .17HMR and I found it to be really dark.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 13:15
     Hey Dd,are ya having fun yet??  I went through a scope selection ordeal a few months back.  Sometimes it kinda makes ya wish they only made one.

til later
Doodaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 14:23
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Hey Dd,are ya having fun yet??  I went through a scope selection ordeal a few months back.  Sometimes it kinda makes ya wish they only made one.

til later

Oh yeah, it's a blast bouncing from one scope to another. Hung

I wasn't too concerned with it at first, until I participated in a local target shoot. They used the Official NRA 50y Rimfire target and the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (only functioning scope just laying around for the new rifle, the pictured Tasco had a dial that was broken) had reticles that covered the bulleye. It was rather frustrating. I ended up scoring 99 with no X's. Good enough for third, but not good enough for me.Loco

Believe it or not, I may have settled on a scope..... I hope. Millett 4-16x56
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 15:09
    YEA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

til later
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic