OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2.5-10, 4.5-14 uses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5-10, 4.5-14 uses
    Posted: December/08/2004 at 21:31
Question about these magnifications.  I know the standard range maginification for a big game/deer scope is 3x9 so I would think the 2.5-10 would fall into that catergory although I don't know why you would want to go down to 2.5, but why would you have a 4.5-14 magnification.   If the lens is 42 mm, anything over 6 power starts to effect the amount of light at the exit pupil and would seem a hinderance as you got closer to dark.  Can someone please explain the advantages.  Thanks. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 22:17
Yes the 3-9 is the most popular selling scope. One of the many reasons I like the Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 is that at it's lowest setting it gives you all the FOV you will ever need for the close up work in North America. At the top end, I, and most hunters would agree, that 10x is all the power you should ever need for any long range situation that you should attempt. With the example you gave with regards to exit pupil, that would translate into an exit pupil of 7mm which is more than the average amount of exit pupil than the human eye can utilize. The 4.5-14, in my opinion are geared toward the hunter who elects to pursue long range shots and probably has very little need for anything below 4.5 power.
kokdyer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kokdyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 23:12

Here in Europe 1.75-6x42 30mm is the most popular, followed by 3-12, and a few 4.5-14 or 4-16.  But the last 3 are all 50 or 56 or even 58mm objective. 8x56 scopes are also very popular.

In America we can't hunt (for the most part) at night.  But here in Europe we can hunt wildboar and night and do very often.  The best part of going up in power is seeing things clearly farther away.  If you can turn it down to 3 or 4 and still all the way up to 12, 14, or even 16 how great is that?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 09:08
Basically it is impossible for the normal person to tell the difference between 1 to 2 powers of magnification. Scope manufact. have a at least a 5% manufacturing tolerence. One manufact. 2.5 power may be another manufact. 3 power (or two) there are no standards as such. Also the real settings would be something like (in a 3X9) 2.943 by 8.634 which is hard to put on an ad marque. While the measurable physical parameters fall off with an increase of power the utility does not. At high powers around 20 and up it is possible to resovle small changes in the target surface - like 22 cal bullet holes at 200 yards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic