OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris/3200 vs. Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris/3200 vs. Leupold
    Posted: December/08/2004 at 21:25

Was wondering if those who know thought the Burris Fullfield -lrs ballisticplex 3x9-40 or the Elite 3200 3x9-40w/firefly scopes were a better/brighter/clearer scope than a Leupole m8-6x -42 scope(which I am currently using).  I would think the lit reticles would help some at dawn/dusk if they were even, if they are not superior, is that an incorrect assumption.  Also how much of an advantage is having the rainguard?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 09:13
Can't say on the Bushnell, but I have a Leo and a Burris 3X9 ballistic plex (in fact I use it only as a general purpose plinking scope on an FAL/LAR) and it doesn't come close to the Leo which sits on a fine Mannlicher Steyr 270 with double set triggers.
Macc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 10:34

Dale, which Leupold scope are you comparing, the m8 or some other Loopie?  TIA

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 13:03

Leupold M8 6x42 scope is different from the rest of their M8 line up.  It's glass quality was the same as Vari-X III (previous generation with fully multicoated lenses, Multicoat 4).  I do not know if they had updated it to a new VXIII design in any way.  Either way 6x42 being a fixed magnification scope with Multicoat 4 it should be a little brighter than Burris Fullfield II and have a somewhat better resolution.  Quality-wise I think it fits right between Burris Fullfield II and Signature Select scopes. 

If you like 6x42 scopes take a good look at an IOR 6x42 scope.  It runs for similar money to Leupold (about $40 more) and is better optically.  On top of that it has an MP8 reticle.  It does come with a 30mm main tube (although it does not make any difference other than needing different rings).

Ilya

Macc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 13:23
Thanks for the info.
obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 15:01
Ouch.  My Leupold is currently on my Mannlicher schonener .270 with double trigger.  I guess the Burris is out of the picture if it is no better... Does anyone know about the difference between that and the 4200 Elite?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 15:08
Burris Fullfield II is a wrong scope to compare that Leupold with.  They are in different price ranges.  Burris Signature Select is a better scope than Leupold 6x42. Elite 4200 would be in the same class performance wise as Signature Select.  SIgnature Select is lightly better optically and has longer eye relief.  4200 has Rainguard coatings.

Ilya
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 08:38

koshkin, i think alot of people will agree with me, when i say that the 4200 is a better scope than the sginature. and the leupold is way above the burris, or 3200.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic