OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any pistol hunters on the board

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any pistol hunters on the board
    Posted: May/14/2008 at 20:35
I have hunted pigs in WV with my 500 S@W and that was just a memorable experience.  Looked like a CSI crime scene, maybe a little overkill; but the only other pistol I had was a Colt trooper Mark III 357.  I just wanted to make sure it was dead so as not to hurt my friends dogs.

Jeremy
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 21:34
Hey jeremill,    Welcome to the OT.
I do most of my hunting about 4hrs. east of you. When gun season opens, if I'm not carring my rifle and bow I will be carring my rifle and pistol. Anything inside of 60yds. doesn't get my rifles attention. But I love to draw that 357 Desert Eagle. I'm sure you enjoy that 500, no doubt a center mass hit is a quick kill. What varity of game have you distroyed with it?
Before deciding on the 357 I have, I had talked with some hunting buddies about their 44's and the results they were getting. At the time it seamed like the 44 was the way to go, but the expence of shooting it compared to the 357 is what got me to look at the 357. I'm sure ammo for the 500 is nothing to sneeze at. Anyway I decided to give the Eagle a try and have loved it ever since. I've never fired a 500. How heavy is it? Are you able to get decent groups with it. What kind of effective range do you feel comfortable shooting game. Have you ever had anything leave the scene carrying a round? I have seen deer go 200yds. with a 44hp instead of a heart and I've had a doe go 65yds. with a heart shot, but everything I've shot with my 357 has taken a ride in my truck. Unless I feel rushed I generally aim for a neck shot just below the jaw line. They never know what hit them.  Dead
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 21:51
I absolutly love my 500, I have only hunted some pigs in WV about 1 1/2 ago.  Most of my deer hunting involves a 30-30 in the brush or my 700 in 270 for open field.  Of the pigs I have shot, none moved more than the concusssion did to them.  I usually shoot 400 grain PT Winchester with about 3000 fpe, so not much survives.  I have only shot it around 10-15 yards.  Group wise, it is decent with about 2" at 20 ft, from a rest.  However, I have the 8 3/8" barell, so it is a handfull to hold.  To comment on anything leaving the scene of the crime would be my hearing, after shooting it without protection I felt a little dizzy.  Here is a pic and enjoy, I dont want to hunt deer with it just because of the damage.  I would like to save some meat.  However, I have shot clean through steel, small trees and a big block from an old ford, so I would not test it on any animal that I want to save some meat.  The WV hunt was with some friends and for the most part close to head shots, so we saved some meat.  IT WAS UGLY.  Here is a pic .

jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 21:56
Forgot this, I have recently upgraded my shotgun collection so that will be the next hunt.

Cant wait to put a 3.5 into an unsuspecting creature.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 03:52
I'm still looking for the right 10-15 yard hog shot to try my 357.  It's a pea-shooter compared to your 500.  I won't use it on hogs beyond 20 yards.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 12:59
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

I'm still looking for the right 10-15 yard hog shot to try my 357.  It's a pea-shooter compared to your 500.  I won't use it on hogs beyond 20 yards.

You guys have some very impressive toys there.  Thunbs%20Up

I kinda hate to post a pic of my ole-timer. But you are right timber for a hog of any size I wouldn't want to be too far out. A quality shot in or behind the ear would be my choice. jeremill if you could get close enough for a neck shot on a doe you would have plenty of table fare. Ofcourse with a 270 and those s-guns you can make every hunt unique. So just have fun! Yippee

It's not pretty at all with the Burris setting up there, But it is functually awesome and dead on out to 100yds.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 19:45
"But it is functually awesome and dead on out to 100yds."

Looks pretty good to me.  And it'll kick a whole lot less than my revolver.  As to looks my 357 has 1000's of rounds down the tube - stainless hardly shows wear.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 22:47
Yes Sir!

I expect any future purchases I make will be stainless. Blue was great for it's time but for all weather hunting. I'll be carrying stainless. Thats a thought, wonder if I can get stainless parts for my Hoyt? Yippee
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2008 at 19:58
I've been using a 9-1/2 inch barreled Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag to shoot pigs at close range. 240 grain soft points instead of hollow points will get it done and not destroy as much meat. Shoots pretty good out to 50 yards with a scope mounted on it. Downside, weight-wise you can probably tote a Remington Sendero around just as easy. The thing weighs a ton. If I had it to do over I would opt for a 7-1/2 inch without a scope.
RK
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 05:09
I hunt with a scoped super redhawk in .454.  I wouldn't say i'm an advid handgun hunter, but I've done it occasionally, no results yet.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 10:34
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I hunt with a scoped super redhawk in .454.  I wouldn't say i'm an advid handgun hunter, but I've done it occasionally, no results yet.

When you do score with it, let us know the out come. What would be likely moving targets in your area? It should certainly handle anything you can pull a bead on.  Pistol
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 06:57
Here's my .454 She's a bit much on the heavy side for a hunting side arm, but when you want to do the deed witha pistol, she gets it done real good.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 11:13
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Here's my .454 She's a bit much on the heavy side for a hunting side arm, but when you want to do the deed witha pistol, she gets it done real good.

You should shoot a five shot group on paper and lay a dime on it to show how large it really is. I shot one with a five inch barrel and suprisingly it grouped well at 30yds. But I had to wear gloves to stand the sting. WOW! Shocked    Kills on both ends!  Dead
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2008 at 11:20
I have to say, that the recoil is not as bad with the longer barrel, it still works you over though. I can get a three to four inches at 50 yards on a real good day. Most times though I'll put five in a pie plate at 50. When I see those guys that can really shoot these things, I am impressed. Getting groups with a pistol is hard at best.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
ridurall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridurall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 17:43
My favorite hunting handgun is a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt with 300 gr JHP at 1129 FPS.  It works great on deer.  I tried some Corbon 300 JSP ammo and it worked out to 1349 FPS and was just plain mean.  I'm sure it would drop just about anything but it's not fun to shoot.  I think I'll stick with my hand loads at 1129 FPS.  They will print a 4 inch group at 100 yards.
52 year old retire Air Force married 30 years with 2 kids. 1 22 year old daughter and a 7 year old son
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 18:26
Used to hunt a lot with handguns, whitetail that is. All Smith&Wessons, 629, 28, and 1006. The Mod. 28 .357 with a 6" barrel was my favorite using 140gr JHP and it gave the best results. It's not to heavy, it's handy, and accurate. I carried it for a short time on the street so I shot it a lot, and was comfortable with it. Don't hunt like I used to, and there are no wild hogs around here, but it would be fun to try it again.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by ridurall ridurall wrote:

My favorite hunting handgun is a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt with 300 gr JHP at 1129 FPS.  It works great on deer.  I tried some Corbon 300 JSP ammo and it worked out to 1349 FPS and was just plain mean.  I'm sure it would drop just about anything but it's not fun to shoot.  I think I'll stick with my hand loads at 1129 FPS.  They will print a 4 inch group at 100 yards.

Shocked   4" group at 100! What kind of trajectory? I'm gonna have to take a new look at the 45. I've always liked the 45 but left it alone years ago because it's range was so limited. Especially with a 300 gr boulder flying at mach 1. You've just given me a new research project. Thanks!Thunbs%20Up   And welcome to the OT
ridurall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridurall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 21:53
If I remember correctly I'm only about 2 inches high at 50 yards.  I'm using 21 grains of 296 for the 1129 velocity.   The last 2 deer I've got with it didn't travel over 20 yards.  I'm itching to try some hogs with it.  I've run 23 grains of 296 but the brass tends to have extraction problems.  I don't know why it does not with the Corbon at 1349 FPS.   The other day several of us were up at my property near Mangum Oklahoma shooting a Barrett 50 cal, M-14 .308, Bushmaster Varminter 75 gr HP and Shiloh Sharps 45/70.  We also tried shooting a 50 Action Express.  Never again!  That thing was just plain nasty,  I'm not normally that recoil sensitive but wow what a mule.  We had a couple of 1911, my Sig .40 cal and the Redhawk.  The 50 Action Express was the worst shooting handgun of the bunch.  We were messing around at bowling pins at 250 yards.  The Action Express couldn't get within 40' of any of the pins and the 40 and 45 cal we were able to walk them in pretty close with a little help of a spotter.
52 year old retire Air Force married 30 years with 2 kids. 1 22 year old daughter and a 7 year old son
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Used to hunt a lot with handguns, whitetail that is. All Smith&Wessons, 629, 28, and 1006. The Mod. 28 .357 with a 6" barrel was my favorite using 140gr JHP and it gave the best results. It's not to heavy, it's handy, and accurate. I carried it for a short time on the street so I shot it a lot, and was comfortable with it. Don't hunt like I used to, and there are no wild hogs around here, but it would be fun to try it again.

(140gr JHP)  Who made that and can you give some detail on best results. I'm currently using the 158gr. Gold Dot HP for my best result. That being flattest shooting and quickest dispatch for deer. That is when shooting for vitals because generally I go for the head/neck shot if reasonable. In which case most any 357 rd. would work in it's perspective range. I've had some strange reactions from a heart/lung shot with this rd. Usually they will run about 30 or 40 yds. and drop, but some will just walk 40 or 50 as if spooked but unsure of what happened and then do a wobble drop. I recall a couple that stood still for a minute or two then did the wobble drop. I typically wait for a quarting away shot aiming for the opposite shoulder so I don't get a pass thru and that is what I want. The round has always expanded well but I wonder if it is cutting thru to fast. That probably doesn't make since, but I beleive in the effect of hydrolic shock and perhaps if I'm getting mostly lung then I may be reducing that effect. It is way over my head but I guess the difference is in the energy because a lung shot with a rifle does produce substantial hydrolic shock. Can someone help me reach the next level?
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 22:05
Originally posted by ridurall ridurall wrote:

If I remember correctly I'm only about 2 inches high at 50 yards.  I'm using 21 grains of 296 for the 1129 velocity.  

I like that. That's about what I'm getting with my D Eagle 357. Looks like I may be doing some iron shoppin for to long! Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic