OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell vs. Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell vs. Leupold
    Posted: May/13/2008 at 13:27
Hello everyone!

I am in the final selection stages for my new target rifle scope. My first and second choices are outside my budget, so after a lot of hard searching, reading, and sleepless nights, I have narrowed the search to two possible contenders: Bushnell and Leupold.

I was leaning toward the Leupold, as it will hold its value better when money becomes available for #1 or #2 choice, but I have been thinking that I very likley will not sell the scope I buy now, even if I do get #1 or #2 choice later.

So, with that out of the way, I have two specific models in mind, and I'd like to get some opinions from those who own these scopes, if possible. I understand there are a lot of opinions, but I am honestly looking for a "I have one of those and..." opinions, good or bad, to help me decide.

Contender #1: Leupold VX-III 8.5-25 X 50mm with fine duplex reticle. ($758.00 shipped)
Contender #2: Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 X 50mm with Mil Dot reticle. ($583.95 shipped)

Both have:
  • Target knobs
  • Side focus
  • 30mm tubes
  • good warranty (Leupold has an advantage here)
  • fully multi-coated glass
  • one-piece tubes
  • nitrogen fill

Should I just pay the 174.00 more for the Leupold, even though I won't have the range finding capeability of the Mil Dot reticle? MOST ranges are known distance, but for those which are not, knowing range is a variable that can be controlled...

Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Hmmm... It seems he's suffered from acute lead poisioning...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 13:48
How far do you plan on shooting? Max distance?  What caliber is your rifle, and I assume you plan on using the adjustment knobs to dial in all your shots?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:00
Distance will be out to 1000 yards (maybe a bit past, 1000 meters)

Rifle caliber is .308 Winchester

Yes, I will 'dial in' as opposed to 'holding off' as my instructor does. (my targets won't be moving)

EDIT: I have a 20 MOA base for the scope, and the Leupold has 90 minutes of adjustment (so with the base, I have 65 minutes 'up' and 25 minutes 'down'). Not sure how much the Bushnell has; I will check...

Edited by J!m - May/13/2008 at 14:05
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:11
The Bushnell only has 50 Max.  So in that case I would not get the Bushnell as you may not have enough elevation to reach 1000 yards and definitely not beyond.  If you get a 30 MOA base it will change things but you will probably not be able to get a 100 yard zero.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:15
I am planning to set my zero at 200, but yes, I just got back from the web site and it appears there is 50 minutes of adjustment. I assume that is total? That is small, and sounds like they have 1" 'guts' in a 30mm tube... Not very useful. If it is +/- 50 minutes (100 total) that would be useful.

I guess the Leupold is the way to go in this case.

Any other suggestions in the sub-$1000.00 similar quality/magnification (20X minumum maximum magnification) catergory?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:27
I can tell you now you don't need 20x+ for 1000 yard shooting.  In fact you will probably do better with less magnification.  First is you will see more mirage once you start beyond 8x to 10x.  Once you get past 10x mirage can really start to become a problem, especially on scopes with lesser quality glass.  For 1000 yards, I typically run my scope at 8x to 10x.  Another problem is movement when you have it that high, you will be bouncing all over and have a very hard time holding steady on far away targets. 

I just got done with two precision rifle classes and I have an 18x max scope and I tested this a lot with the different distances and powers and found it really is just to much.  Sometimes I would use 12x in the morning when there was not alot or mirage yet, but even then I shot better with the lower powers. 

This is just my opinion, but I know it is shared by a lot of shooters. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:30
As far as other scopes, the bushnell 6500 2.5-16x has 80 MOA I believe.  Not quite your 20x but close.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-12405-2172-bushnell-25-16x42-elite-6500-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

You could go with a 16x or 20x Super Sniper.
http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

Leupold Mark 2
http://www.swfa.com/showcategory.aspx?categoryid=971&sb=Name&so=asc&page=2

Millet
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12807-1395-millett-6-25x56-lrs-1-tactical-35mm-riflescope.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - May/13/2008 at 14:37

J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:41

I am aware of mirage, which is why I must have a variable. If a fixed focal length could be sued, the Super Sniper was on my list for sure! Actually, my "A" list includes a few reasonably priced fixed-focal length options, but I have to be able to dial down for mirage and pulse etc. as you have found.

I'd like to avoid the Mark-II Leupold options and I have not heard anything about Millet. Do you have any of those you suggested?

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:45
I am an IOR guy when it comes to tactical scopes, that is all I will buy.  Top end glass is a must for me so no I don't have any of those.  I was just tossing out some other reasonably priced optics.  If I were going to buy any of those it would be the Bushnell 6500, that is because of how much I like my 4200.  Excellent scopes in my book.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:56
If you are willing to go a little lower on magnification and spend just a bit over $1000 either of these would be awesome for what you want to do.  They blow Leupold mk4 glass away.  Like I said a bit over your budget, but better to pay a little more once than having to buy twice because you are not satisfied with your first purchase.  I don't know how many times I have done that with optics.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10180-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12303-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

The second one with the big knob will get you out past 900 yards with one turn.  I just got a 3-18x model with the big knob and it is sweet.  Mine is in 1/10 mil adjustments as well.

J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 15:01

Well, since you started it, my #1 choice is Schmidt & Bender, and my #2 choice is IOR. My instructor has several IOR scopes and feels that is the best 'bang for the buck' right now. Unfortunately, he has not priced an IOR in several years, and did not realize how much they have inflated since he bought his. He also has the Tasco SS scope on his M40. That same scope is the one offered by SWFA (the one with the side focus). It is designed to "be dropped out of a helicopter at 100MPH and still hold zero" in his words. If the SS scopes were variable, that 20X version would be in my hands and I would not have made this post at all...

Not much to say about the S&B. The best. And priced accordingly.Loco

I agree about not throwing 'good money after bad' and would rather spend a bit more now, than a lot more later. I will have another look at those IOR offerings, but I'd like to avoid Mil turrets, as I am more comfortable with Minute turrets (if that is what you were saying).

Back to the drawing board...
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 11:04
J!m ... quote =
" It is designed to "be dropped out of a helicopter at 100MPH and still hold zero" in his words. "    Yikes  ..... hummmmmmmmm .....  does it have built in air bags ?????

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/14/2008 at 11:05
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 12:12

don't think so...

The Super Sniper 10X40M does not have air bags, so, no.

That is a great scope and if it was what I needed, I would not hesitate to get it!Excellent

I ended up trying the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50. I will start a new post once I have it to let you all know how that is...
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 10:06
 That surely was an overstatement though ... you have to admit .  I want to see any scope dropped from a helicopter at 100 mph. after it hits the ground .... after it's dug out of 3 feet of dirt .  

Edited by mercenary1947 - June/10/2008 at 10:55
               SWFAM
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 07:32
It's not company hype; this comes from my instructor.

This also refers to the Super Sniper when it was made (Sold) by Tasco. I do not know if there were any changes since then.

Needless to say, those Tasco scopes were considerably more expensive than the Super Sniper versions are now...

I have not (now would I) dropped ANY rifle from ANY distance or speed. A perfect scope is no good whith a bent barrel...Bucky
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 10:59
 My mistake Jim .... went back and deleted that from the post ... it's about like some want rings and mounts to take bucu pounding ... the scopes won't take it . I've seen some idiots trying to sell bent up scopes on ebay ... I laugh everytime .
               SWFAM
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 12:04

Hey... That's a good idea! I can sell my bent scopes on eBay!

I suppose if someone buys it, who's the more foolish?Loco

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:26
 Believe it or not they sell !!!!!!!!! And none with the anything can damage warranty either . Makes me wonder .... LOL
               SWFAM
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:38
That's funny you should mention this stuff........JUST TODAY I saw a few scopes on ebay where the seller said : " NO crosshairs.........."  and people were bidding on them! 

Call   HELLO?!!  Bucky    
frdbrlw1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frdbrlw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 22:13
I just ordered that exact bushnell, i would go with it. They are super clear optics.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic