OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

super sniper scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apwood88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: super sniper scope?
    Posted: May/12/2008 at 20:40
I am looking to replace the scope on my savage 10 fp with a scope in the $300 dollar range.  I'm impressed with the super sniper scopes but I would like some other opinions on whether this is the best scope for the money.  My target range is between 200 and 700 yards. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 20:57
Fish

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/02/2009 at 10:07

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 21:44
Elite 4200 scopes have limited lifetime warranty just like every other scope from a reputable maker.

ILya
Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 22:31
apwood,

I don't own a super sniper yet, but I've read only positive about this optic. If your going to shoot  downrange 700 yard and want to keep your budget at 300, the 10x Super sniper is a no brainer:) The folks on this forum usually get it right and to get decent optics that offer dependable tracking  and reliability is a bargain!

I've been reading several different posts lately where  people are complaining about optics falling apart and wonder if there is really that many problems with scopes out there? I have a Leupold var-XII that is going back to Leupold because of moisture inside. But this scope has been through a war of its own, and was beat around for the twenty plus years as a guide. I realize a scope failing when someone is shooting back isn't good but a bad scope and a crippled bear isn't much better! lol

Bushnell's web page gives their warranty as follows... One year no questions asked and continues a lifetime warranty to the original owner to be free of defects in materials & workmanship. Sounds fair to me ? I do have experience with the elite 4200 when myself and several of my hunting friends discovered this optic and changed over from Leupold. None of us have a had any  problems and I still believe its a better optic than Leupold and just as reliable. Bushnell could do a better job in reticle choices, though.

Time will only tell how my IOR will hold up but so far so good. Seems to me we were paying 200-300 dollars for scopes years ago, not sure why we expect prices to stay the same... Nothing else seems too:)
survivorjl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 22:54
I'm also interested in possibly getting a super sniper scope. Could some people who already own and use one please tell me how well that rear parallax adjustment works?

I've never seen anything like that.

Is the side mounted adjustment worth an extra $100.00 or is the rear adjustment just as good?
He who endures until the end...
supersniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supersniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 14:04

The rear adjustment on the SS scope is used to focus just like you would use on a variable power scope.  Just turn the ring until your target is in focus. 

BTW - I own (1) 16x and (2) 10x Super Sniper scopes.  One with the side focus and one without.  IMHO the side focus would only be needed when you are in a position where minimal movement is required such as a sniper hide.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 16:31

Welcome to The OT, Super Sniper!!

I much prefer a rear focus.

Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 17:20
I love my SS 10x42; its rugged, reliable, tracks well, and the 10x is surprisingly bright and clear.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 21:17

My rear focus 10x Super Sniper woked just fine on the range at 200 yds today considering I wasnt feeling too good I was happy to find the last 4 in the x ring of the one and a half inch red stick on target dot.  Having it on the back beats having the parallex adjustment adding 3 inches to the front of a scope and keeps it back where you can work the adjustment without much change in position.  Very good system.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 21:39
I've only used scopes with the parallax adjustment on the objective. Never liked that set up much, having to reach out to the front of the scope. The rear adjustment sound much handier. I always wondered if people liked it.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 01:07
The rear focus is great.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tbartley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbartley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 17:31
Like Supersniper, I have (1) 16x and (2) 10x and like Cheaptrick, I like the rear adjustment. Yea, I like the SS scopes and they are my choice for a fixed power scope. These are built like a tank and once I read a thread about a poor soul who actually ran over his scoped rifle, the SS scope having nice tread marks on it from his tires (much to his dismay). After he checked it out, it worked just fine (much to his delight). It was a great story and really sends the message home that these are built to last. I have these for fixed and Millett for variable mildot applications. Just .02 more for ya.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 21:35
I've read in other threads and on other sites that the adjustments are sometimes " mushy" feeling and sometimes the clicks aren't audible or just don't seem right. Is that a common problem with Super Snipers? Just curious.
I've also read reviews and such that say the adjustments are great. This leaves me a little confused at what to think.  Any objective opinions?Wink
brother_grim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brother_grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 09:06
Yes.  I have recently purchased a SS 10x and have it on a DPMS LR-308.  It has about 250 rounds through it with this scope and on my second outing the elevation knob stopped working. I was making minor adjustments after having zeroed the scope when it simply stopped working. 

So no amount of turning the elevation knob will change the elevation point of impact.

So now I get to see what Bushnel's repair is like.

I'm not happy about this at all.
brother_grim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brother_grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 12:07
Quick update: Daunted by the prospect of sending the 10X ss back to Bushnell I broke out the allen wrenches and found that the cause of the looseness on the elevation knob was simply that the screws had become loose from the beating my .308 gave the scope.  The screws on the scope mount were loose as well.

The fix will entail some loctite or the girlfriend's clear nail polish.

Otherwise the scope performed very well from my limited experience.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 12:49
I check all the bolts on my guns after every shooting session.  It is amazing how easily some of them come loose.  Glad it was that easy for you to fix.  Thunbs%20Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 12:57
Get that bad boy locked down and then you'll really see something great. Congrats on a fine purchase.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 18:15
Welcome to The OT, Grim.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 21:53
For the record, I bought a 10 X S.S. a month or so after I posted on this thread. So far mine is working great. Very impressive scope for very little money.
RU Grendel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RU Grendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2008 at 23:10
I love my SS 10X42 on my Grendel. I haven't got past 450 yards yet, but I am shooting sub-moa at 438 lasered with my current setup.
RU Grendel
24" 6.5 Grendel Overwatch
SS 10x42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic