OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 8x42 Vortex Razor - OT Fieldtest Program Review
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x42 Vortex Razor - OT Fieldtest Program Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 12:28
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Excellent review, Lucznik!Excellent

I agree, we can always depend on you to be extra involved with binoculars around here. That is a big bonus for O.T.

Thanks,
Doug
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 08:05
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Edge distortion on the Razor and the Leupold were also comparable. Edge distortion was a little more for the Discoverer but, not excessively so. I was unable to do any exact measurements but, I would say that the inner 3/4 of the FoV was clear in the Leupold and the Vortex while edge distortion affected the outer 1/3 of the Discoverer.

As regards your use of "edge distortion," you told me you were describing a visible degradation in focus. Distortion describes the inability of a lens to create a rectilinear image of the object. Distortion describes the shape of an object, not its color or its sharpness.

Your lack of understanding of fundamental optics matters does not encourage me to believe anything you say, or for that matter, to trust the findings of these OT Reviews.

Tom

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 08:41
Originally posted by Gunshow75 Gunshow75 wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Edge distortion on the Razor and the Leupold were also comparable. Edge distortion was a little more for the Discoverer but, not excessively so. I was unable to do any exact measurements but, I would say that the inner 3/4 of the FoV was clear in the Leupold and the Vortex while edge distortion affected the outer 1/3 of the Discoverer.

As regards your use of "edge distortion," you told me you were describing a visible degradation in focus. Distortion describes the inability of a lens to create a rectilinear image of the object. Distortion describes the shape of an object, not its color or its sharpness.

Your lack of understanding of fundamental optics matters does not encourage me to believe anything you say, or for that matter, to trust the findings of these OT Reviews.

Whatever  And here we go again.  Mr. all knowledgeable setting his peons in order.

Its funny, just because you and Lucznik have been having a debate on another thread you decide to come over on this one and bash him.  Real classy of you, real classy indeed.
You once again trash peoples reviews and opinions on optics here because we don't have your "expert knowledge".  You need to accept the fact that most of us are just shooters and hunters who enjoy this hobby and our techno jargon may not be up to your standards, but it is what it is.  If you don't 'trust" our opinions thats fine, as they are just our opinions, I tried to put that accross to you before.  But you wanted somekind of optics lab tests for everything we say about optics, it isn't going to happen.  I can tell you most of us quite enjoy Lucznik's bino input.  He is quite knowledgeable and has lead alot of people in the right direction.  Just because his jargon is not up to "your" standards does not mean his input in not appreciated and used by most all of us here. 

Lighten up.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 13:37
+1    Thunbs%20Up
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 14:02
+2

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 14:57
Well said supertool.  Who is this jerk anyways?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 15:18
You can read my response to Gunshow75 here:

To the rest of you, again I apologize and I appreciate the show of solidarity.  Thanks.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2008 at 15:31
I didn't care for the guy before because of his arrogance and downtalking to everyone, so after reading Lucznik's commentary all I can say is WOW.  It appears we once again need the can of troll spray.

Edited by supertool73 - September/12/2008 at 19:35
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 23:56

Tom,
Was that really necessary?  What prompted this very rude, seemingly unprovoked jab?  There's nothing wrong with correcting an error in a tactful way when it adds value to the discussion.  However, you went well beyond merely providing clarity and made it personal by overtly questioning Lucznik's intelligence and integrity.  If this is a continuation of a disagreement you have with Lucznik elsewhere, then please take it to PMs, because it was totally uncalled for here.

Although your definition of "distortion" is technically correct, most of us are occasionally guilty of using generic terms that are technically misapplied and/or in the strictest sense, meaningless (i.e. "brightness," "light gathering," etc.).  Yet, the reader still understands what is being described, and this rather trivial point in no way diminishes the value of Lucznik's observations.  

Your condescending remarks reveal a pettiness and arrogance that isn't likely to win you any friends.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 07:43
To all of the OT Forum members, I apologize for my brash, unkind responses in these posts. To Lucznik in particular, I ask that you accept my most sincere apology. It was not my intent to impugn your integrity.

To all OT Forum members, I hope this quote will give you some insight into my feelings about this forum:

The stumbling way in which even the ablest of the scientists in every generation have had to fight through thickets of erroneous observations, misleading generalizations, inadequate formulations, and unconscious prejudice is rarely appreciated by those who obtain their scientific knowledge from textbooks.
              James Bryant Conant (1893-1978), Science and Common Sense

I came to this forum primarily to learn, and secondarily to contribute wisely and honestly, as best I can. I suspect most of you came for the same reason. Your role in my education, mine in yours, and ours in that of those less fortunate than ourselves is important.

And so, as regards this forum, I say to the administration, moderators, and the remainder of the members that I find some things to be educational, some to be funny, and some, to which I have unwittingly contributed, embarrassing. Like the members of any group, as hunters and shooters, what we say and do are the things that define us. We should not be guilty of encouraging growth in the thickets of erroneous observations, misleading generalizations, inadequate formulations, and unconscious prejudice. We should work to make this forum a benchmark, a reference point against which other similar forums can be evaluated.

Henceforth, I will make reasonable efforts to uphold my responsibilities to this forum, and I will expect no less of all of you.

Kindest regards,
Tom

Tom

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 21:08
Wow, Tom. I can say that in the few years I've been here, like you, I am impressed. There are a select few that get deeply involved in binoculars here.
It is good to have you here.

Doug
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 17:54

To Lucznik in particular, I ask that you accept my most sincere apology. It was not my intent to impugn your integrity.

Your apology is gladly accepted.  No worries.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic